What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last day of my holibobs got back home late
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: raspberry Phd and a coconut cappuccino
Late lunch by the pool: cold meats and cheese with pork crackling followed by SF jelly and a CCB
Dinner at Bella Italia: bolognese spiroli.

7092CB8A-3158-447E-A165-DA951D89B41B.jpeg

Viv19

Both can be easily home made as you can’t get the pre prepared ones outside UK.
The cauliflower and broccoli rice are just frozen chopped bits of the veggies. I use a food processor to quickly chop them to a rice like size open freeze on a lined tray( I use a reusable silicone mat for all my open freezing as food dosent stick when frozen) and then break up and put in bag or container. To cook I grab a lump of the froz veg/rice and either fry from frozen or cook in microwave. More work than Iceland version but once prepared easy.
I also buy cheese and ham ( or use own cooked ham) which if sliced thinly can be used to wrap bits of cheese! But must admit most times to not bothering with the rolling up part! If you want the Spanish version you can buy manchego cheese and Spanish ham or chorizo. They may not look as neat but taste good.
Meanwhile some m and s rollitos for the ferry sound good they are easy to transport and eat! I’ve bought for picnics when out and about.

Thanks for that help. I hadn’t thought of freezing the cauliflower and broccoli- good idea. That cauliflower! Whether I’ve grated it in the processor, grated it by hand or chopped finely with a knife, it always manages to spread itself everywhere. It seems to jump - over the work surface, me and the floor. Doing a large batch at a time is a great solution. And I’ll pick up some rollitos and try them out. Though manchego cheese in deepest Bavaria???? We are country mice so it’s a case of ‘if the farmer’s wife doesn’t cook with it .....’. Not wanting to be rude to the farmer’s wife of course. Spanish ham is available though!

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All!

Yesterday was
B: none
L: half a small truckle of mature cheddar with butter
D: brisket, homemade gravy, butter and more cheese

Not a very active day.

@maglil55
you asked about the LC GF cake. Ah, happy memories.
It was from the fabulous cafe in Tyninghame. It did have sugar in it, and as icing, but the flour was almond, and it was by far the lowest carb thing there. I always discard the sickly icing anyway, so that wasn't a problem for me. That teashop is wonderful, on many levels, including that they let the dogs inside (we had had enough sun earlier that day!), although on another day, sitting outside in their courtyard would have been lovely.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm avoiding food with sharp edges - in fact with this sore throat everything feels like its got sharp edges. I'm craving Heinz cream of tomato soup and Tiger bread like i always do when I'm poorly. Luckily I haven't got either in the house.

Today...

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (lots)

Lunch: 10 cal jelly

Dinner: home made cream of mushroom soup (using up the h/m chicken stock blocks in my freezer)

Drinks: black decaff coffee and lots of water

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm avoiding food with sharp edges - in fact with this sore throat everything feels like its got sharp edges. I'm craving Heinz cream of tomato soup and Tiger bread like i always do when I'm poorly. Luckily I haven't got either in the house.

Today...

Dinner: home made cream of mushroom soup (using up the h/m chicken stock blocks in my freezer)

Hope the throat gets better soon but the menu seems soothing and LC so discipline excellent in trying conditions.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Today...

Sorry about the bad throat, nothing worse imo. Try melting a square of dark choc on your tongue as can be quite soothing too. If you feel like you have razor blades in your throat you might need checking for Tonsilitis, just a thought. Do take care.

Reactions: gennepher and Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was 1 sausage (home made), a slice of bacon and 2 fried eggs.
Lunch was strawberries and cream (I went back and reloaded with strawberries).
Dinner will be oxtail stew - another package from the freezer which had lost its label.
I haven't had coffee for months now - maybe 18 or so but today I fancied a cup of black coffee and I don't understand why I stopped drinking it, so I just had another (to settle my stomach after all those strawberries).

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another hungry day - had to give up on not having breakfast by 10am and had smoked salmon and scrambled egg.
Couple of hours or so later a few slices of salami and 2 choc Nut squares.
Mid aft 1 Baby bell
Dinner will be marinated chicken thighs ( similar to to tandoori but no chilli) with cabbage slaw and salad. Probably some Montezuma’s too.
I’ve been getting an afternoon slump recently - like a sugar crash but my menus haven’t changed recently so I’ve been trying to figure out why. The only thing that springs to mind is too much coffee in the morning causing a bit of withdrawal later. (I don’t drink it after about 12 noon) I’m going to limit it to 2 mugs tomorrow. ( if possible)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally low energy day after swimming lesson. Low energy has been the story since last Tuesday - didn't think 1 birthday would make such a difference. So the energy giving menu. B=tea; swim then lemon and ginger tea. NE1 = flaxseed crackers (2xL), h/g and h/m egg mayo with grated cheddar plus cherry toms and cucumber. Then St Paul sums me up "So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of good nutrition, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of stupid eating." Salami, emmental slices and cooked bacon in the fridge and I was tired rather than hungry but I ate. NE2 not sure: had analysed for a mackerel salad but that's a bit healthy for today. May have Fage and 10 cal jelly and move on chastened but none the wiser.

Last edited:

Viv19

Today...

That’s horrible, sorry to hear you’re ill. Heinz tomato soup was our regular soothing meal when we were ill as kids. In case you’re not eating much, Heinz cream of tomato soup has 6.7 gms carbs in 100 ml. :) so might it still be possible?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s horrible, sorry to hear you’re ill. Heinz tomato soup was our regular soothing meal when we were ill as kids. In case you’re not eating much, Heinz cream of tomato soup has 6.7 gms carbs in 100 ml. :) so might it still be possible?[/QUOTE
Whatever makes you feel better when you are very poorly IMO is no harm. @Chook maybe you should have whatever soothes you while you get through this illness. When its over you can always get back on track. Generally speaking when you are poorly you dont overeat anyway.

Reactions: Viv19

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Good news re the libre sensor and my swim this morning- I did use some clear waterproof dressing - as suggested by @maglil55 - and also restricted to 20 lengths, about 15mins, to make sure but did do 20 minsin jacuzzi with arm kept out on side ( did have lots of splashes though), 3 mins in steam room and 5 in sauna. I’m thrilled that it hasn’t seemed to have affected it at all. Readings post water immersion very similar to yesterday’s ones - @maglil55 thank you for advice this gave me confidence to go for it. Love being back in gym and pool after absence due to hols and then knee injury.
Breakfast after gym and swim bacon and egg
Lunch half tin sardinesin olive oil with five lc seeded crispbreads
Dinner salmon in lemon butter served with asparagus followed by hm rhubarb fool and just about to have decaf coffee withsmall piece of 100% choc.

Viv19

Tea
Halfway through the morning I was v hungry so had some nuts and cheese cubes.
Cwc
Lunch 2 sausages with a mixed salad. Berries and yoghurt
Tea
LC roll toasted, one side with Camembert, the other with Gouda and ham. More berries and yoghurt. (Needing some comfort food and that fills the bill) Tea.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words.

I'm okay sticking with low carb foods - i have to be because thats all thats in the house. (Mr C hides his stash of carborific goodies in his desk at work). The sore throat is morphing in to a cough but at least the headache is almost gone.

I wonder what the person i caught this of off was at the doctor's for? Worrying!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see them all on my phone and browser. How odd.

On your App, @maglil55 and @DJC3 - could you hard close it, by hitting your home button twice, the swiping upwards to close the app, and try again?

(Sorry to be deflecting things a bit folks!)
It's just dawned on me what you mean (as an android user) and yes I do close down all the Apps. I use Power Clean to shut down the Apps working away in the background quite a few times a day.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally low energy day after swimming lesson. Low energy has been the story since last Tuesday - didn't think 1 birthday would make such a difference. So the energy giving menu. B=tea; swim then lemon and ginger tea. NE1 = flaxseed crackers (2xL), h/g and h/m egg mayo with grated cheddar plus cherry toms and cucumber. Then St Paul sums me up "So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of good nutrition, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of stupid eating." Salami, emmental slices and cooked bacon in the fridge and I was tired rather than hungry but I ate. NE2 not sure: had analysed for a mackerel salad but that's a bit healthy for today. May have Fage and 10 cal jelly and move on chastened but none the wiser.

Yep, those clever Romans knew all about arguments between mind and body.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ate earlier than usual, 1000 - bacon, egg, sausage, black pudding, tinned tomato, mushrooms and black koffy.

Dinner: home made Spanish meatballs in a tomato and roasted red pepper sauce with mushrooms, parsley and grated manchego.

Pudding - kefir, Greek yoghurt and berries with home made granola- Merlot again.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back to being good today, not that I was high carb on holiday just more food and snacks than normal :woot:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fried eggs and bacon followed by Greek yoghurt and coconut.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cheese (mature cheddar and mozzarella) omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.