Had a very bad hypo last night (1.8) now this morning I am up to 23. Tips?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi,

Took a correction dose last night of 3 units as my post meal BG was 15.5. 3 units is usually correct as it would drop me by 9 mmol.

Within 1.5 hours I dropped from 15 to 1.8, very scary and I wasn't even aware I could sweat THAT much lol. Still don't know how it happened, as I correct 3-4 units all the time. Now I have to go to work and I am sitting at 23, no breakfast food in that isn't carbs and no time to cook eggs. What do I do? I feel... rough.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Catsymoo - Sorry to hear that, sounds horrible.

Last night when you tested, how long after your last bolus was it ? My thought process is you had stacked insulin so already had insulin in board which resulted in the crash.

Have you done a correction to manage your 23 yet ? Drinks lots of water to flush it through your system when you can but hope it comes down to manageable levels soon.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, because your BG was so low, your body fights to get the reading up to a safer level, and the huge rise in your BG is part of the course. I agree with Juicyj, drink plenty of fluids, take a correction dose and keep monitoring. I think many of us know how you feel and it's awful.
I hope you feel better as the day goes on, please let us know how you are doing.
Take care

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is intriguing me as you mention a post meal reading

To me post meal suggests the 2 hour after eating mark and this subject was brought up elsewhere yesterday, I wouldn't correct 2 hours after eating as the insulin already in your system can last 4-5 hours whereas others were taking a correction 2 hours after eating with a post meal reading of 7.0! :O

Is there a shop you can run into and grab some cheese/cold meats etc to tide you over food wise?

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
xx

Reactions: porl69

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You are likely to feel pretty sick at 23 mmol/l BSL. I Awould sugest you ring your health team. That is what they are there for.
Also your nurse coukd work with you to develop a plan to help work out what to do with a future situation like this as well as try to avoid it!,
There are books to read, strategies to learn but health team first.

Reactions: Eglinton71

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin at night works a lot better than insulin in the morning or even the afternoon for me. I am much more insulin sensitive by night. Have you taken that kind of adjustment late at night before? You might keep an eye out for your night time dosing.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
What did you eat for that meal? Some things take longer than others to be digested, eg whole meal bread and pasta, and if there were fats such as cheese or cream too then these too would delay digestion and lead to a post meal low.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes, after a hypo like that you'll feel rough, I'm afraid. Been there, got the t-shirt (well not really, but I certainly felt awful the next day.)

I'm just wondering, did you also take your basal then and was it lantus? There are reports that lantus can act as a short acting insulin if injected in the wromg area....

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi,

Took a correction dose last night of 3 units as my post meal BG was 15.5. 3 units is usually correct as it would drop me by 9 mmol.

Within 1.5 hours I dropped from 15 to 1.8, very scary and I wasn't even aware I could sweat THAT much lol. Still don't know how it happened, as I correct 3-4 units all the time. Now I have to go to work and I am sitting at 23, no breakfast food in that isn't carbs and no time to cook eggs. What do I do? I feel... rough.

What was your last meal? How long after food did you test?

How are you feeling now?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi guys, I survived the day! Blood sugar still at 16.6, but I feel better.

I had cauliflower rice bibimbap last night about 6pm. I am really struggling to understand why my levels are just horrendous over the last year really. My HBA1C came back as 74mmol. I am on a moderate carb diet but my ratios change so often I am just terrified of my insulin and don't like taking any more than 4 units at a time. I really do not eat hard staple carbs. I am wondering if my Lantus doses are the problem. I take 20 units at 5:30pm, and usually 15-20 units again at 11pm. It's weird but it was working for me as previously 30-40 units once a day was wearing off the next day and my levels were rubbish in the morning.

My BG in the morning yesterday was 11. I took 2 units, one unit to correct and one unit to cover my 10g carb breakfast bar. Before lunch my level was somehow 16.6, I was annoyed and hungry, injected 4 units and had a sandwich (soya and linseed bread, 20g carb per sandwich roughly) My post lunch BG was 15 @ 4pm. I took 2 units, walked home and it dropped to 8 by 5PM. Made dinner at 6, I only took 2 units with my food and at 9:30pm it was 15.5 again. I took 3 units before bed, followed by a biscuit and some almond milk because I was hungry and by 11:30 I dropped to 1.8.

That's all the information I can recall. I was at 23 this morning, took 2 units and no food. Down to 17 by 11am, ate a few cashews and an egg and chicken for lunch, 2 more units, just walked home, still sitting at 16.6. I've just taken 1 more unit before having a bath, I do not want to lower it too fast and risk a hypo again. Going to just make eggs for dinner I think and just lower it slowly.