Diabetics R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I interviewed for an office job at a Conservative synagogue and was told that to simplify lunches I could not bring anything with meat in it, because of course they kept a kosher kitchen. So I understand a little about that, and the requirement of separate kitchen utensils and dishes and appliances for meat and for dairy. So I wondered if vegans had a similar standard for cookware and dishes.

Like the food labels that warn that a certain product was prepared in a facility where products containing nuts or gluten are also prepared.
Depends on the vegan.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think my granddaughter is that precious as to demand different pots and pans. Her brother is more likely to be concerned about it, but still has vegan meals at home when he is at home in non-vegan pots and pans, and still eats out in ordinary restaurants with a vegan menu, most likely cooked with the same utensils. When he is at home, and also at my house, he does sit on our leather furniture!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My not-so-temporary foster dog Naimah, who arrived here 4 months ago because she suddenly needed a place to stay short time has been dating yesterday!
She has been visiting a very big dog and his owner to see how they liked eachother and it went very well :)

The owner is still slowly recovering from a major operation, so she can't take a second dog right now. But in 2 or 3 weeks Naimah is invited over to spend a weekend there so they can all get to know eachother. If it all works out she'll move out in 3 or 4 months or so, which would be wonderful!

Reactions: heh and Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am pleased to announce that my granddaughter's boyfriend-who-isn't-her-boyfriend is now her boyfriend. They are officially a couple. She is meeting his parents today. :)

Reactions: heh and Daphne917

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Spent about 4 hours at A&E yesterday afternoon with my daughter as had been having severe head pain and had been vomiting so was advised by 111 to go to A&E after several hours she was seen by clinical practitioner and though they weren't sure they thought maybe migraine she has never had one before so this would be her first any way they have advised her to see her GP tomorrow (optimistic) and prescribed her Metoclopramide. She filled the prescription today the pharmacist was rather concerned that they had given her a prescription for 28 days as he said if you take them for longer than 5 days permanent brain damage can or in his words will occur so has instructed daughter to stop taking them after the five days.

Edit to add the practioner at the hospital said I see you are T2 diabetic daughter said GP says prediabetic so they are going to contact her GP recommending a HbA1c test being done again.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They gave her a gastroparesis medicine for a migraine? OK ... they're the docs ... I am not ...

I hope she will get to see her GP tomorrow and that all will go well.

Hugs to you both.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh John, I am sorry to read that about your daughter. I think that is very shoddy treatment she had at A&E. They should have ruled out other things before telling her they "think" it was migraine. They should at the very least have given her a head CT scan. As far as I am aware, Metoclopramide is a stomach medication, used for morning sickness among other stomach and sickness ailments. Have you looked it up on drugs.com? Was she sure this clinical practitioner was a doctor and not a porter?

How is she now?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I did wonder the patient info sheet does say it can be taken with pain killers to help painkillers work more effectively and to treat
nausea and vomiting which may occur with a migraine.

Maybe she will get more sense when she sees her GP.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have had some serious migraines in the past but never ended up screaming in pain with pain down my neck and spine as she did yesterday.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JohnEGreen , make sure she gets another opinion if no better. Don’t wait for GP. NHS111 again. Hope she feels better soon.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If that set of circumstances happens again I will not waste time with 111 it took them over half an hour to call us back to tell us to take her to A&E it will be 999 and an ambulance she was literally screaming with pain and vomiting my first thought was possibly meningitis.

At the moment she is feeling not so bad but is still feeling the effects of the episode I will be keeping a close eye on the situation.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If that set of circumstances happens again I will not waste time with 111 it took them over half an hour to call us back to tell us to take her to A&E it will be 999 and an ambulance she was literally screaming with pain and vomiting my first thought was possibly meningitis.

At the moment she is feeling not so bad but is still feeling the effects of the episode I will be keeping a close eye on the situation.

I thought of meningitis too.

It's good that she has you with her. Praying for you both.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Congratulations to your granddaughter @Bluetit1802

I hope your daughter is feeling better @JohnEGreen

I have been full of cold all weekend - snotty mcsnot face :meh:. We did go for a very nice meal on Saturday courtesy of son & DIL for father's day and spent most of yesterday with friends, me armed with tissues & paracetamol :hilarious:

Back to work today but 2 short weeks as I'm off on Friday & next Monday.

Have a good day.

H :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I finished all my clearing out yesterday and threw away a lot of stuff. So today I can't think of anything to do! I am NOT going to throw out the novel that's only half typed and has not been "saved" anywhere except in hard copy in a 3-ring notebook. I do need to decide what to do about the wool quilts my mother made, and the table linens she embroidered. I will not get rid of them either, but I am not a table-linens sort of person and I don't have the cutlery or dishes anyway worthy of them.

Reactions: heh and JohnEGreen

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I do need to decide what to do about the wool quilts my mother made, and the table linens she embroidered.

When we downsized to this house almost a year ago I did get rid of the embroidered table linen my mum did. It was a wrench, but I had previously told myself that downsizing is not a time for too much sentiment when it comes to things stuffed away in places where they never see the light of day and will never be used. I have plenty of other things that were hers and that do get used, and quite a few memorabilia in my family history chest, such as her 21st birthday cards, passport, driving licence, diaries and so on. I also told myself that when I'm gone, my family would get rid of them anyway.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When we downsized to this house almost a year ago I did get rid of the embroidered table linen my mum did. It was a wrench, but I had previously told myself that downsizing is not a time for too much sentiment when it comes to things stuffed away in places where they never see the light of day and will never be used. I have plenty of other things that were hers and that do get used, and quite a few memorabilia in my family history chest, such as her 21st birthday cards, passport, driving licence, diaries and so on. I also told myself that when I'm gone, my family would get rid of them anyway.

Thank you, @Bluetit1802 . And I have Mama's desk, that was her mother's, and was made in Nova Scotia the year Mama was born there.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

I was up at 3.15 this morning, too hot upstairs but I came down and did the ironing :angelic:(also too hot :rolleyes:).

We're having a thunderstorm now and it's lashing down :(

@Bluetit1802 & @SaskiaKC I have an embroidered tablecloth my mum made for me, the centre is embroidered and I was wondering if I could get it transferred to another piece of fabric to extend it's life.

Have a good day.

H :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It is hissing down here and thunderstorms are forecast though last time that was forecast nothing materialised .