Going high after breakfast.

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How high do others go after eating breakfast?

I have been having trouble with going high after eating breakfast. This morning my blood rose 9 mmol/L. It rose even though I waited 15 mins to eat after injecting.
Do others have this or have others found a way of preventing.
I have also changed my I:C ratio to take more insulin per carbs to try and stop the rise but this ended with me going low
IMG_9750.jpg

Any advice would be welcomed

D

Deleted Account

A few thoughts
- I would not recommend increasing your insulin dose any further as it seems to be coming back down ... just a little later than usual
- You may want to think about bolusing earlier - when I used NovoRapid, thanks to Libre, I realised I had to bolus 40 minutes before eating to avoid the rise.
- It is common to eat carb dominant meals such as cereal or toast for breakfast. Have you tried something lower carb such as yoghurt or eggs?
- Libre and CGMs are brilliant for seeing what is happening between finger pricks. However, sometimes, we lose a bit of perspective. If you Google "Libre without diabetes" (or something like that) you will see some graphs from people without any type of diabetes are realise a reading of 9mmol/l is not extreme

Reactions: mossys

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @mossys What time are you waking up ? There could be a bit of dawn phenomenon going on there so not necessarily breakfast, the DP is a liver dump of glucose to get you going in the morning.

Reactions: mossys and Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What fast acting insulin are you using?
It could be dawn phenomena, we are a bit insulin resistant in the morning so I take insulin and wait a bit. I was on novorapid and had to wait 30-45 mins. But then I was prescribed fiasp, with experimentation for the first few days, I found out that I needed to wait 10-15 mins depending on BG levels and the food I'm eating. I think we all spike after food, whether it is a small spike or huge spike depends on the food.
You could possibly consider a higher protein or fat breakfast - which may or may not result in less spikes.

Reactions: Marie 2

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A few thoughts
- I would not recommend increasing your insulin dose any further as it seems to be coming back down ... just a little later than usual
- You may want to think about bolusing earlier - when I used NovoRapid, thanks to Libre, I realised I had to bolus 40 minutes before eating to avoid the rise.
- It is common to eat carb dominant meals such as cereal or toast for breakfast. Have you tried something lower carb such as yoghurt or eggs?
- Libre and CGMs are brilliant for seeing what is happening between finger pricks. However, sometimes, we lose a bit of perspective. If you Google "Libre without diabetes" (or something like that) you will see some graphs from people without any type of diabetes are realise a reading of 9mmol/l is not extreme

Will try and bolus earlier but quite hard due to starting work at 07:00
I usually have cereal so will try something different

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @mossys What time are you waking up ? There could be a bit of dawn phenomenon going on there so not necessarily breakfast, the DP is a liver dump of glucose to get you going in the morning.

Waking at 05:45. I will look into Dawn phenomenon

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have this on Novorapid and for me it was 45 minutes waiting around before I could eat something like porridge or cereal for breakfast. I'd agree with others that this doesn't look like a ratio issue but a timing issue.

Have you heard of or considered Fiasp? I switched to this a couple of years ago and one of the reasons for doing so was the long pre-bolus time before breakfast.

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to have this on Novorapid and for me it was 45 minutes waiting around before I could eat something like porridge or cereal for breakfast. I'd agree with others that this doesn't look like a ratio issue but a timing issue.

Have you heard of or considered Fiasp? I switched to this a couple of years ago and one of the reasons for doing so was the long pre-bolus time before breakfast.

I have heard of Fiasp. I'm currently using a Tandem T:slim X2 pump and will see if Fiasp is ok to use.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
As suggestion not as medical advice or opinion:
You may need to look at what is happening with BSLs at around 4 am to see whether BSLs rise above normal (= DP), or rising when you wake up and get out of bed (Foot on the floor).
If one or both are happening you may need to talk to your nurse about changing the basal settings on your pump to stop these bsls getting so high.
Also as other have said, insulin does not seem to lower bsls as efficiently as after lunch or dinnertime.
Having bacon and eggs (no cereal) and lowering the insulin taken before breakfast is something to ask your nurse about.
Best Wishes.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I have dawn phenomenon and that causes insulin resistance for a few hours after. My solution has been just not to eat in the am until about 11am as it's just too hard to control when I do. I realize that's not a good solution for some people, I am not a low carber, but in this case I would suggest since you can't prebolus earlier easily maybe eating something very low carb for breakfast and see if that helps. Even maybe a protein shake?

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Swapped Weetabix for four digestives and results are a lot better and eating at least 20 mins after bolus.

Definitely going to stay clear of some cereals.
IMG_9751.jpg

Reactions: Marie 2