Type 1'stars R Us

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has been raining cats and dogs here for hours. Spent a busy morning catching up with 2 weeks housework. Feeling pleased with results and as usual vacuuming helped lower my bloods from 9-6. We usually eat our one meal of the day at 2/3ish so was about to prepare it and thought good grief, this sort of weather needs a bottle of red and an apple turnover. So a quick trip to Tesco’s local and result. Squiffy and happy! Still raining though ☹️

Reactions: Knikki

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
In hiding for a while.

Read a dreadful article in the Guardian on intensive chicken production at three UK farms. Horrendous. Appalling. And I am so upset I cannot think straight.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yes, I did, together with the anti-GAD test. It was just below the 'normal' threshold, which indicates either a rapid detoriation of T2, or a slowish progress of T1, fitting to LADA.
Internist and I decided not to bother with further antibody testing after discussing the possible outcomes: Either positive, which would mean definitely autoimmune, or negative, which could still be T1 oT2.
Neither outcome would change my treatment, which is MDI and works very good for me, so I'm happy with that :)
What's MDI?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 I am not sure if there is a standard set of test (although there probably should be a minimum).
I have just looked at my form for my next set of tests* and the ticked boxes are
- CREAT and ELECs
- UREA
- LFT
- LIPIDs - No Fasting
- ? Hypothyroid
- Full Blood Count
- Hb1AC

Unfortunately, translating some of that into English is beyond me so don't even start to ask about Dutch.
Perhaps someone more medically minded will be able to assist.

*My diabetes team have this crazy approach to ordering blood tests. At the end of each appointment, I am given the form which I must keep for a year. When I get the time for my next diabetes review, I am to take this form along to my BG surgery to get the blood tests.
At one appointment, I mentioned how I had to remember where I put the form, the consultant told me "Yeah, most people completely forget so we don't get any blood test results." :banghead:
Add to this that I see a different consultant each time and some consultants have their favourite tests that others don't request and I wonder why they don't have a different strategy.

I'm having very regular bloods done at the moment, for my thyroid, although they're still c6 weeks apart. The Doc does the next form when we discuss the most recent results, os it hangs around a while.

Having had one "Oh bother" moment when I couldn't find it, the night before my tests (I did in the end), I just scan mine as soon as I get it, then if I really do lose one, I can just reprint it. It takes 30 seconds, and works for me.

Reactions: Knikki

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Today’s smorgasbord of lessons I have no idea how to teach - Performing Arts, Geography, Art, Piano and Orchestral Studies. Still, I did get to explain periods to some thirteen year old boys, which is always amusing. They’d done it the lesson before in science and were a bit confused by the time they got to my art lesson. So as they designed a sugar skull, I edumacated them. Stopped off in the horror that is Merthyr Tydfil on the way home as I spotted a branch of Home Bargains that looks bigger than my local one - they’ve started selling pea protein powder but my local one is too small to stock it. Result, got a couple of bags. Half the price of Holland and Barrett and similar nutritional profile. Stocked up on dextrose tabs too, at a quid for a twin pack I don’t know of anywhere cheaper.

Just got a Mel-friendly version of brinjal sag paneer simmering for when the husbeast comes home.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Off to the lovely East Midlands again tomorrow, part-time jobbing and seeing younger daughter and family - happy! East Midlands Rail have coughed up total fare refund plus an extra payment ‘goodwill payment’ (!) they’re really keen to avoid the tougher questions. My thank you note included words about upgrading the communications system to be forwarded to the relevant people. A cop out, I know, but I really can’t face the high BG and time of a proper enquiry/class action, though I’d add my name. Ruddy privatisation!

Reactions: hh1 and Knikki

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr

Runs through the thread stark b****** naked wearing only a chocolate cod piece, the Italian one.

Wwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Oooooh, a streaker hippie! How old fashioned!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Runs through the thread stark b****** naked wearing only a chocolate cod piece, the Italian one.

Hope it didn’t melt!

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Back from hols, and have now caught up on 2 weeks of this thread. I think that was about 900 messages...

Cycling round southern Scotland and northern England - tandem, camping, all up weight of bike + kit 60kg, and we did 840 miles. Quite chuffed. Record BSL of 26.something according to the libre, 2u and 30 min riding later, 5.something and needing to eat. Hadn't quite got the exercise/food/insulin balance sorted by then :)

(the eventual answer was 6u + a bigger breakfast rather than normal 18u+ for sedentary, a couple of u with lunch, eat to balance, and slightly more basal than normal at night, which was slightly surprising)

Reactions: slip and smc4761

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

I want some of that cake @Knikki

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, on standby, waiting for that call...

Bloods running too high 60% of the time this week - don’t know if it’s stress or if I’m coming down with something. Reluctant to hammer it because I’m commuting 120 miles a day...

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, on standby, waiting for that call...

Bloods running too high 60% of the time this week - don’t know if it’s stress or if I’m coming down with something. Reluctant to hammer it because I’m commuting 120 miles a day...
Hugs mel x

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Knikki with a chocolate cake cod piece :***::dead:

My day was going just fine until I started reading these posts...............!

6.6 last night 6.1 this morning, with no change of basal - ham egg and chips it is then every night!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My sister used to have a piece of paper stuck over the camera on her PC. Said it stopped people spying on her.
Madam being marginally beastly, early a shake head moment.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@SueJB Oddly enough, I saw a brief interview with Mark Zuckerberg on the TV once. His laptop was open on the desk and he had a sticker over the camera. Made me think a bit.