First time abroad without parents...

LauraNoraLoo

So in a month and a bit im going away with the BF for a week somewhere sunny in Spain. One major problem...im literally dreading it! its the first time that ive been abroad without my mum who normally sorts all my medication out for me etc.

dont get me wrong i take full responsibilty of my diabetes and i control it myself, but in the past when i have beenn abroad everything seems to go to pot and i need that little bit of guidance and someone to say "oh you look a bit funny, check your BG"

me and my partner have been together a year and half so he knows what he knows, but he isnt good with injections and has never been in the situation where he has had to give me one for any given reason, or doesnt really know my "hypo" signs all that well.

im really just looking for some general advice, things that i can do that will put me a bit more at ease, things i can buy etc.

thanks x

Jgos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
being dependent
I started to travel alot for biz four years ago - the best for me has been CGM Navigator or use the Dexcom unit. My colleges know to look at my pda if if beeps, be it in a pub (5 hours the wrong way in NY) or in London. They all see which way the arrow is moving and I have never had a problem. It device makes the noise not you. It then makes them or you deal with it, then and there.

Gos

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
LauraNoraLoo said:
So in a month and a bit im going away with the BF for a week somewhere sunny in Spain. One major problem...im literally dreading it! its the first time that ive been abroad without my mum who normally sorts all my medication out for me etc.

dont get me wrong i take full responsibilty of my diabetes and i control it myself, but in the past when i have beenn abroad everything seems to go to pot and i need that little bit of guidance and someone to say "oh you look a bit funny, check your BG"

me and my partner have been together a year and half so he knows what he knows, but he isnt good with injections and has never been in the situation where he has had to give me one for any given reason, or doesnt really know my "hypo" signs all that well.

im really just looking for some general advice, things that i can do that will put me a bit more at ease, things i can buy etc.

thanks x

Hey,

I know how you feel, i had my first holiday abroad with diabetes having only been diagnosed 6 months. Had booked it before i was diagnosed, and being as stubborn as i am i still went!!

If i were you before you go make a checklist so you KNOW you have everything you need and plenty of it. If your mum usually sorts it for you, ask her to write the checklist with you.

I make it a rule to take double of what i would usually need too.

With hot weather, it's usually the case that you will need less insulin. So test frequently on the first few days to see if you need to reduce anything.

Hypo's can be a terror on holiday, but only if you let them. Be prepared and take hypo treatment with you at all times. If your not too good at recognising your hypo symptoms then test frequently especially when exercising or walking around in hot weather, this way you are likely to catch yourself before you go hypo.

If your worried your partner won't be able to step in and do diabetes things for you, then practice is the way foward. Let him test your BG's.. talk through what readings are what and when to act on certain readings.

If you feel necessary, let him do an injection of two for you. This may be daunting for him, but in a controlled situation at home is far better than in a panicky situation abroad.

Overall, don't let diabetes make you feel on edge on holiday. If you are cautious until you know how you react to the weather and exercising and food then you will be fine.

Ask about anything your not sure of, i can do into more detail about how to prepare but can be a long post but if you want i can list stuff lol.

Hope you end up having a great holiday :)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your boyfriend shouldn't need to do any injections for you, if you're hypo you won't be needing insulin unless you mean the glucagon injection? I would take a glucagon injection kit with you and carry that in your handbag. Make sure your boyfriend knows how and when to use it incase of a hypo emergency. Hopefully you won't need it but it's best to be prepared.

Does your boyfriend speak Spanish? If not it might be advisable to print out a sheet of phrases he might need should anything go wrong. Things like "where is the hospital" "my girlfriend is a Type 1 diabetic" "my girlfriend needs sugar" etc. Always carry plenty of hypo treatments in your handbag, things like full sugar coke, glucose sweets etc. If you go out somewhere, take extras with you just incase your return is delayed or you're stuck in traffic or something.

If you're worried that your BF might not spot hypo signs, and you think you may not notice them either then your best defense is to test often, especially 2-3 hours after every injection. Remember that your test meter can test drinks for sugar so if you're unsure if your drink is a sugar free one then use the test meter to check, that will avoid you having a huge spike.

Be cautious about over correcting. It's only a week and it's a holiday so a slightly higher reading than usual is probably okay. If you're higher than usual it may also give you a little peace of mind that you're not too close to hypo territory which will help you to relax and enjoy your holiday a little better without thinking of diabetes too much.

Make sure everything is carried in your hand luggage and ask your boyfriend if he can carry a few spare essentials in his bag. That way if your hand luggage is lost your BF will have some basics like test meter and insulin for you to use whilst you arrange replacements. We always take double of everything, hubby carries one set and I carry the other set. Our test meters seem to have a knack of not working so a spare one is a godsend in that situation. We also take more insulin that we will need just incase there is a delay in our return (remember that ash cloud that delayed flights?).

Make sure you have your mum's phone number so that she is someone you can speak to for advice if you feel you need it. Your BF may also want to phone your mum if he's worried about you or if something goes wrong. But I'm sure you'll be fine, have a lovely holiday :)

LauraNoraLoo

WOW thanks for the replies! everything you said has made sense and makes me feel more at ease! gunna take all of your advice.

thanks guys x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
LauraNoraLoo said:
WOW thanks for the replies! everything you said has made sense and makes me feel more at ease! gunna take all of your advice.

thanks guys x

Just enjoy yourself Laura and take care! :)

Nigel