Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I’m incredibly lucky. My nurse says test. She is able, as a nurse practitioner, to sign them. However the way it works at my practice is whoever is duty dr signs repeat requests. So other gp’s including locums have also signed the repeat prescriptions once it was placed on the system by her without question despite more than one of them individually being out of the ark. Makes me wonder if they look beyond the list of what’s on repeat before signing though!
Agreed there.!

Ellenor2000

My grandmother told me that she believes people who aren't diagnosed diabetic shouldn't test their blood sugar more frequently than one day of the week.

I test most days, because I'm an ex-obesity case with numerous mental disorders that either stabilise or go away when my blood sugar stays between 3.3 and 5.0. It started out as just a "because I'm curious" sleep deprived impulse purchase of an Accu-Chek Aviva.

Eating just meat and cheese, I'm normally at the upper end (3.9-5.0) of that range whether fasting or postprandial, and being slightly over (all the way up to 5.9) typically indicates that either I've eaten carbohydrates (at which time such high blood sugars, and higher, would be indicated - I've felt fine up to 6.3, though make no mistake I wouldn't drive a car at that sugar) or that my sleep is dingleberried (usually by being too long, not too short; this usually doesn't take me over 5.5 unless I have also not eaten enough in the past 24 hours, but I have had blood sugars as high as 7.0 (... that was polyuria city!) from extended fasting, and as low as 3.4 from not sleeping).

A major risk with the diet I'm on is scurvy because I don't have a lot of raw food overall. I know when you have a FreeStyle Libre you aren't meant to take ascorbate supplements because it'll throw the results, but my diet is so low in ascorbate (haven't contracted scurvy yet...) that that seems to have thrown Libre's results the other way (yes, I'm wearing a Libre sensor right now, and the site it's at is completely wrong - my left pectoral - so that may be throwing results too). Supplementing by eating a couple strawberries seems to fix the issue without detrimental effects on fingerstick-determined glycaemic control.

D

Deleted member 489048

I've looked at the NICE guidelines. "person self monitoring skills" and "frequency and quality of testing" . Can't self monitor if no testing strips.
Frequency is finger pricking 3 times a day for 2 weeks (various) not every 2 weeks.
Can't get over how 'annoyed I feel' about it all. As this person doesn't know me. But compared me against her husband (to me that is personal opinion) then stated 'it's policy' at me. But like it has been said in above previous posts; a GP has to sign it! I've since booked an appt to see diabetic nurse. Is different one to one usually see. However, I'll get this sorted and if not; like you HSSS I give up!

GLees26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
I was going in hospital for a procedure in November last year and had to see the diabetic nurse because my blood sugars were bordering high for an op 70 the nurse gave me a monitor blood strips and lancets to check my bloods and bring the readings down which helped me enormously. I have since tried to check my blood intermittently and when they go over 7 I pull back and sort myself out. I have run out of the blood strips and have been told by my doc that because I am only on one tablet, metformin, they won’t give me a prescription and it protocol. It’s possible I may have to have a knee replacement and want to check my bloods more often and keep the readings good but he won’t budge ??

Reactions: Evie-D

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@GLees26 welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, due to their cost and despite them being an important element in helping us control our blood sugars, it is nearly impossible to get prescribed strips if you are either diet controlled or on Metformin which is why most T2’s self fund. Not sure what meter you have but, if the strips are too expensive, you may be better off buying another one. I’ve just tagged @Bluetit1802 who has written a good post with information on the two most popular meters.
Keep testing as it will help you in the long run.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@GLees26

I agree with @Daphne917 above, and as she has tagged me for the meter information, here it is.

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2+ because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2+ is here
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Reactions: Daphne917

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is diaremedium diabetes patch legit?

I don't know anything about it, but it feels like if it was legit everyone would be using it and the NHS would be prescribing it. I can't see how it could work.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is diaremedium diabetes patch legit?
It is licensed in the USA as a “cosmetic product” so probably about as much use as lipstick...
They mention a 3000 person study yet don’t give a link to the publication.. usually a sign of being well dodgy!

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
How often must one test after a new food being introduced ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How often must one test after a new food being introduced ?
Usually we'd suggest immediately before eating and then 1 and 2 hours after the first mouthful to gauge the full effect. The aim for a "safe" food would be to back at pre-prandial levels after 2 hours or very close to.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had test strips when I had gestational diabetes both times. Once I was told I was pre diabetic, it was simply frowned upon and now type 2 my DN and Dr say not to test. I buy my own strips and lancets, which is expensive. But I have seen wildly fluctuating numbers, that I find more useful than an average over 3/6 months. I can feel when my bs are low and high and feel testing has helped with that, as you see the number at the time.

stevenkpalmer

The thing is the NHS is always going to do what is cheapest in the short term, not what is best either for the patient or the NHS in the long term. That is because they are funded year on year and GP funding is separate from hospitals so investing in preventative medicine by the GP gets him no benefit.
I am seeing my nurse on Monday and intend to get a straight answer to whether to test bloods, urine or whatever, putting who's paying to one side.
My guess is if it was the gp himself who had t2d he would be testing.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mentioned my FBG test results to one of my GPs and was told that type of testing wasn't recommended for me. I've managed to not go onto any medication since my diagnosis in 2015. The tone of voice that was said in, means I now avoid referring to it.

Reactions: jjraak

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Usually we'd suggest immediately before eating and then 1 and 2 hours after the first mouthful to gauge the full effect. The aim for a "safe" food would be to back at pre-prandial levels after 2 hours or very close to.
My bg has been higher 2 hours after eating. Is an increase of less than 2 mmol/l considered ok ?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My bg has been higher 2 hours after eating. Is an increase of less than 2 mmol/l considered ok ?
Yes. No more than 2mmol rise before and 2hrs after is desirable. Less is even better. And ideally no scores above 7.8 at 2 hrs but that might take some time to achieve, but it’s a goal as that is the level that damage reportably might start to occur at.