Measuring effect of slowly eating carbs

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a GTT in 2 days and have been eating low to very low carbs for the last couple of months bar a day here and there. A couple of weeks ago I thought the postpartum hormones (after having had gestational diabetes) had finally gone when I got a 4.6 mmol fasting so I made crepes for the kids (and myself). Still had a spike I didn't like and the next two mornings my fasting was 5.6 mmol again...

Anyway, I'll be 8 weeks postpartum on the day I do the GTT to see if I am still diabetic or whether it was mostly the pregnancy hormones. I need to add a few carbs for a few days leading up so I thought I would waste a few strips and test every 15 mins to see how my levels look eating something that I commonly loved to eat: palacinke (aka crepes) 3 eggs, milk, 1/2 cup spelt flour, butter, salt, and I had honey on them.)
I've always been a slow eater so I just ate them the way I always have, one by one, straight off the pan while sipping a cup of tea. Eventually I can't keep up and sit down to finish the rest. This took close to an hour from first to last bite and I measured every 15 mins to watch how long slow eating keeps the levels elevated.

Before eating:
8:45am after 12h fasting 5.1 mmol
11am after 14h fasting 4.7mmol
I wasn't hungry so I skipped breakfast.

12:10pm First bite of crepes
12:25pm 5.0 mmol
12:40pm 7.0 mmol (30 mins)
12:55pm 8.5 mmol (45 mins)
1:10pm 8.4 (60 mins and just after last bite.
1:25pm 7.5 (1h15)
1:40pm 7.8 (1h30) 40m after last bite
1:55pm 7.2 (1h45) 55m " " "
2:10pm 7.6 (2h after 1st/ 1h10 af last)
2:25pm 7.5 (2h15m)
2:55pm 5.2 (2h45m af 1st/ 1h55 after last bite)

Normal healthy reaction to carbs?
Spike was not as bad as sometimes but slow eating keeps levels elevated an hour longer than is ideal.
Bearing in mind that it's been 2 weeks since last dose of carbs and low to very low carb in between. And I'm not really sure how many carbs are actually in 1/2 cup of spelt flour and a few tablespns of honey... Any idea? Not to mention having eggs to blunten the reaction to carbs (I think?). But I wanted to see what a previously "normal" meal for me does to my blood sugar levels.

We'll see how the GTT goes in a couple of days.

If my fasting is still 5.1, as it was when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes just a few months ago, I doubt I'll be diagnosed with anything other than an obsession with pricking my finger... ;)

Will I go back to eating carbs like I was before? Hell no! Not after what I have learned from people on this forum.
X

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The eggs and slow eating may explain the later BSL peak.
The trouble is that the flour and honey will not do your BSLs any favours.
BUT .. best wishes for the GTT !!!

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
The eggs and slow eating may explain the later BSL peak.
The trouble is that the flour and honey will not do your BSLs any favours.
BUT .. best wishes for the GTT !!!

Thanks! I know the carbs are no good but I was told in order to get a more accurate GTT result, I need to eat carbs in the few days leading up to the test. Apparently you can get a worse result on the GTT if you have been eating low carb for months beforehand.
So now I know what at least one of common breakfasts was doing to my BS levels.