Carnivore Corner

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just completed the first week of a holiday in the Peloponnese and I can recommend it if you want to eat a lot of meat particularly if you like it grilled. Personally I like to have salad and a few chips with mine but it's not compulsory.
the-cosy-corner.jpg

Reactions: Listlad
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have just completed the first week of a holiday in the Peloponnese and I can recommend it if you want to eat a lot of meat particularly if you like it grilled. Personally I like to have salad and a few chips with mine but it's not compulsory.
View attachment 33900

Looks delicious, it's making me hungry now.

M

Member496333

Nearly finished my first chicken soup. Whole chicken covered in water. Five hours in the slow cooker. Pulled it all apart, sieved out the bones and lumpy bits. Flesh back in the slow cooker with the soup, knob of butter and a pinch of salt added to simmer away for another two hours. So far it tastes amazing and the chicken melts in the mouth. Currently boiling up the bones and remains of the carcass to make a bone broth. The only thing wasted will be clean boiled bones :cool:

M

Member496333

Will you get anything out of them on the second boiling?
Won't all the goodness already be in the soup?

No idea if, I’m honest. Never done this before so I’m just making it up as I go along. At the moment the broth is looking nice. I’ll just keep boiling it up until the bones seem as clean as they’re going to get, then decide what to do. Either way, the soup is going to be amazing, and the broth just seemed like something worth trying with the remains. Just winging it really :D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will you get anything out of them on the second boiling?
Won't all the goodness already be in the soup?

A long slow simmer of bones (esp if there is a dash of vinegar in the water) will leach out all sorts of minerals and dissolve the cartilage into the broth => more nutrition.

Although, to be fair, chicken bones need a shorter time than (for example) beef bones, which can take a 1-2 day gentle simmer.

Reactions: bulkbiker

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Oh my goodness yes. I just had four, gooey centred hard boiled and dusted in lots of salt. The whites are actually a little rubbery tasting, but the yolks make chicken eggs taste anaemic by comparison.

PS. Eggs are carnivore compatible. Animal product innit :D
Duck fat to fry them in?

M

Member496333

A long slow simmer of bones (esp if there is a dash of vinegar in the water) will leach out all sorts of minerals and dissolve the cartilage into the broth => more nutrition.

Although, to be fair, chicken bones need a shorter time than (for example) beef bones, which can take a 1-2 day gentle simmer.

Yeah there’s lots of cartilage in there. Knees and elbows, that sort of thing. It’s remarkable how chickeny it’s become from what started out as pretty much clear water with some bits in it. There’s definitely lots of goodness being boiled out of what would otherwise be wasted :smug:

Reactions: Brunneria

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans

And of course not throwing the 'bath water' out!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have recently w=seen a podcast where the term 'carnivory' was used.
Would that be a sort of collective term to use?

M

Member496333

Oh my goodness. The broth is pretty much chicken soup all on its own. One of those times when my body just knows that it’s getting a **** ton of nutrients. Similar to how I feel eating raw liver. Plus there’s now even more slop to put back in the soup which is still simmering away in the slow cooker.

Heaps of delicious grub from one chicken, some butter, and some salt. Weekly occurrence from now on at least :woot:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently w=seen a podcast where the term 'carnivory' was used.
Would that be a sort of collective term to use?
There are almost as many terms as there are people who only/mainly eat animal produce but carnivory is pretty much accepted as a cover all term yes.

Reactions: kitedoc

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my goodness. The broth is pretty much chicken soup all on its own. One of those times when my body just knows that it’s getting a **** ton of nutrients. Similar to how I feel eating raw liver. Plus there’s now even more slop to put back in the soup which is still simmering away in the slow cooker.

Heaps of delicious grub from one chicken, some butter, and some salt. Weekly occurrence from now on at least :woot:

Chicken soup is now my auto-elixir whenever I am feeling under the weather. Sore throat? Flu? Recovering from Gut Rot? Whatever... I have portions of the lovely stuff in the freezer ready to defrost at all times. Jewish Mamas know what they are doing!

M

Member496333

Chicken soup is now my auto-elixir whenever I am feeling under the weather. Sore throat? Flu? Recovering from Gut Rot? Whatever... I have portions of the lovely stuff in the freezer ready to defrost at all times. Jewish Mamas know what they are doing!

I can’t remember the last time I was sick with anything, to be honest. I don’t even get hayfever anymore :shifty:

There is far too much soup made from one chicken, so it’s getting decanted off into freezer tubs later on.

Reactions: kitedoc