Smart Watch

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I'm looking for a recommendation and it looks like Ticwatch would work for us.
Could I ask if anyone who has it could answer these questions please.

Just to clarify, DS has a Libre sensor, Miaomiao. Connects via Bluetooth to xdrip+ on Samsung (3 phones A3 in school, Dad and Mum A5 and A6), an uploads to Nightscout. School nurse monitors via Nightscout.

1. We need it to work without a phone nearby, does it do that? (I understand initial setup needs a phone or PC)
2. Can it upload data in real time to xdrip+ and/or nightscout? This is vital for DS's care in school
3. Can the Ticwatch display stay on always? I.e. the display shows his BG level constantly without having to press or swipe anything.
4. How does Ticwatch connect? Does it have its own SIM card or wifi capability?

There may be more, but I'd appreciate any input at all. Thank you so much.

If anyone knows of another watch that ticks all these boxes, please let us know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Connie’s Dad

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Joesdad can answer a couple of those questions:

1) Yes it can, however there was a Samsung update sometime in March that caused issues with the Blue Tooth on the phone. At the moment I am using a build from January which works but it is far from perfect. I am not sure which version @porl or @Connie’s Dad is using. I do not know if the latest builds have addressed the issue.

I am on the latest build (10 days ago) and my watch still refuses to be stand alone

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Right then I have my Ticwatch working as a stand alone. (Thanks to libre geeks on FB)
On phone go into settings and xdrip prefs....make sure enable collector and force collector are ticked.then on watch face press the 3 dots (top left) and press restart collector (top line, 2nd from right). Sine I have done that it seems to be working fine....

Reactions: Connie’s Dad

Connie’s Dad

Right then I have my Ticwatch working as a stand alone. (Thanks to libre geeks on FB)
On phone go into settings and xdrip prefs....make sure enable collector and force collector are ticked.then on watch face press the 3 dots (top left) and press restart collector (top line, 2nd from right). Sine I have done that it seems to be working fine....

Do u notice anything different?
We only seem to get updates every 8-9 minutes instead of 4-5 minutes when phone is the master.
Not a major issue but don’t know why!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
We only seem to get updates every 8-9 minutes instead of 4-5 minutes when phone is the master.
Not noticed that to be honest

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Not noticed that to be honest

MaherOlivia

I made initial attempts to set up the xdrip on an android smart watch at the weekend. Using Libre and Miao Miao. Very basic questions! Is it the same xdrip app for the watch? Downloaded from the same link that I got the phone app? How do I 'select watch face for xdrip+'? On the smart phone the 3 dots are not visible so cannot be clicked .. . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MaherOlivia

Thank you so much for the reply. I'm using the link above but I cannot 'select watch face for xDrip+'. The menu on the top left of the watch screen is not visible (the watch has a round face).

MaherOlivia

It's a Kospet Hope Lite 4G LTE Mobile Smart Watch. I have paired it to the phone and I have down loaded the Xdrip app and I even got readings on the watch but then the phone wasn't updating or the follower phones. I'm think I need to access the menu on the smart watch screen but that corner is cut off. ????

MaherOlivia

It's a Kospet Hope Lite 4G LTE Mobile Smart Watch. I have paired it to the phone and I have down loaded the Xdrip app and I even got readings on the watch but then the phone wasn't updating or the follower phones. I'm think I need to access the menu on the smart watch screen but that corner is cut off. ????

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@MaherOlivia I am sorry BUT I am not familiar with that watch. Keep us posted on how you get alone with it

MaherOlivia

No luck yet. One of the issues seems to be that the Xdrip app is not available to me on the Play Store. I download online. I'm in The Republic of Ireland. Therefore I cannot enable the wear option. The xdrip on the smart watch looks exactly the same as on the phone and not like the images in the support docs online. I can't see a way around this.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
No luck yet. One of the issues seems to be that the Xdrip app is not available to me on the Play Store. I download online. I'm in The Republic of Ireland. Therefore I cannot enable the wear option. The xdrip on the smart watch looks exactly the same as on the phone and not like the images in the support docs online. I can't see a way around this.
Xdrip is not available in the app store.

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation

ste2run

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, is the Samsung Galaxy Active could work with XDrip+ without a phone after installation. So, the watch gathering data directly from MiaoMiao without phone acting as a gateway?
Thanks
Ste
ca-galaxy-watch-active-r500n-sm-r500nzkaxac-frontblack-146071795

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Does anyone know if the Garmin Vivoactive 3 is freestanding with xdrip or if it needs the phone nearby? Thanks

Does the phone use OS wear?
I do believe that the phone needs to be near but dont quote me on that

Sebloiselle

Hi Connie's Dad

My 10yo daugter has type 1 diabetes and know exactly what your going through. I did all the research with Xdrip and took the plunge and and got and TIC watch E..
It works Perfectly WITHOUT her device. Has a galaxy tab A tablet that she pairs to but when its time for school or any outing the table stays at home and the watch switches automatically and communicates directly with her miaomiao2 then reconnects automatic when tablets within range. While her watch is the collerter she gets low prediction alerts and but can't calibrate her bs, kinda light software on the watch. One very important tip is that when the watch dies while its being used as the main collector you MUST disconnect the android phone features in xdrip settings and reconnect the main device(her table) with her miaomiao then after everything's working turn the android watch features back on in xdrip settings. Ive struggled with it dropping out so many times and have figured it out. so many sleepless nights but it works. If anything goes wrong just disconnect watch features on xdrip, fix the reconnect. Works everything. Hope this helps

Sebloiselle

Does anyone know if the Garmin Vivoactive 3 is freestanding with xdrip or if it needs the phone nearby? Thanks
NewHi Connie's Dad

My 10yo daugter has type 1 diabetes and know exactly what your going through. I did all the research with Xdrip and took the plunge and and got and TIC watch E..
It works Perfectly WITHOUT her device. Has a galaxy tab A tablet that she pairs to but when its time for school or any outing the table stays at home and the watch switches automatically and communicates directly with her miaomiao2 then reconnects automatic when tablets within range. While her watch is the collerter she gets low prediction alerts and but can't calibrate her bs, kinda light software on the watch. One very important tip is that when the watch dies while its being used as the main collector you MUST disconnect the android phone features in xdrip settings and reconnect the main device(her table) with her miaomiao then after everything's working turn the android watch features back on in xdrip settings. Ive struggled with it dropping out so many times and have figured it out. so many sleepless nights but it works. If anything goes wrong just disconnect watch features on xdrip, fix the reconnect. Works everything. Hope this helps