Type 1 pregnant and terrified

jenni34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Im 36 was diagnosed with type 1 2 years ago at the time I'd just suffered a miscarriage at 12 weeks .My consultant has told me that the pregnancy triggered my diabetes and obviously as untreated I lost the baby .

I have 4 children conceived before becoming type 1and I'm currently 7 weeks and 5 days pregnant .

I had my Hbac1 which was 59 and have been given a libre system.

I'm constantly terrified of miscarrying as today my sugars are higher where as I've been suffering more low episodes recently.

I find myself overanalyzing everything .especially when I read the risks it's actually quite frightening.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Deep breaths @jenni34
Congratulations on the pregnancy and one higher day does not ruin everything. There are risks but there are also a great many healthy babies born to T1 women.
It is sad to heR of your previous miscarriage but that may not have been caused by diabetes, there are many reasons for such a loss.
Hope all goes well for you.

FingersCrossed

Hello. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I agree with @Diakat, your miscarriage could have been nothing to do with your diabetes. I lost a baby at eight weeks a year past April, but then luckily got pregnant in June and had my second child this February. I've been type 1 since diagnosis at 17 and I've just turned 40, on an insulin pump. Just to reassure you, I had terrible highs and was super resistant to insulin for the first few weeks of pregnancy, so I had a lot of highs that stressed me out, but as long as you act quickly to get your blood sugars in a better place, it's generally ok. The Libre is fab, especially for forewarning you of fast increasing bg levels. Try not to read the horror stories online, listen to your team and others on here who have had successful outcomes. I have a five year old boy and baby girl who's 4.5 months, both lovely and healthy. They were on the bigger side born, 9lbs for Leo and 8.7lbs for Jasmine, but that's not freak show big these days. It's really worrying and draining keeping on top of it all, but don't beat yourself up too much over odd highs, just act on them and try your best, that's all you can do. Good luck.