Rising Blood Glucose Levels

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
I was prescribed statins two months ago to be taken alongside my usual 2000mg Metformin dose. I have noticed that in the last few weeks my waking level has increased from my normal 7.8 or thereabouts to somewhere around 10. I have not changed my diet from my usual in that time but am cutting out breakfasts because my readings are higher than normal. This leaves me hungry and I end up eating a fair sized lunch as a result. I haven't seen a reading below 8 for some time. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins can and do raise blood glucose levels. They won't have been helping.

What sorts of food are you typically eating?

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
...and what time of day do you take your statins?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed statins two months ago to be taken alongside my usual 2000mg Metformin dose. I have noticed that in the last few weeks my waking level has increased from my normal 7.8 or thereabouts to somewhere around 10. I have not changed my diet from my usual in that time but am cutting out breakfasts because my readings are higher than normal. This leaves me hungry and I end up eating a fair sized lunch as a result. I haven't seen a reading below 8 for some time. Is anyone else experiencing the same?
My hba1c on diagnosis was 48 and I was also prescribed statins however within 6 months it rose to 54. I came off the statins due to other side effects and my hba1c reduced to 43 within 6 months and has now been in the 30s for approx 5 years. I believe it was the statins and, more importantly, my GP has annotated my records as being statin intolerant.

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
My hba1c on diagnosis was 48 and I was also prescribed statins however within 6 months it rose to 54. I came off the statins due to other side effects and my hba1c reduced to 43 within 6 months and has now been in the 30s for approx 5 years. I believe it was the statins and, more importantly, my GP has annotated my records as being statin intolerant.
Thank you, guess I'll have to see what my GP thinks of my next Hba1c.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, guess I'll have to see what my GP thinks of my next Hba1c.
They may not consider there is a correlation - when I mentioned to my DN that there was a link between higher BS and statins she was very condescending and told me not to ‘believe everything I read in the a daily Mail’. Her face was a picture when I told her I’d read it on the statin manufacturers website.