FRIO WALLETS

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone

Just activated the Duo Frio Wallet and does anyone who uses these find it difficult to get two pens into it. We have tried putting in right way up, pushing them right down and then it is extremely difficult to pull them out, tops come off and then you have to get a good grip to pull the rest of the pen out. We tried upside down, then the lids got stuck which was worse to try and get out. Any suggestions :?:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
i would say you slightly over did it when soaking, in a day or so as it dries a little it will get easier, just don't let it expand quite so much next time

you could put it on a sunny windowsill for a while that will help it dry a little

if i leave mine soaking it get to the point where it almost impossible to get a single pen out

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
searley said:
i would say you slightly over did it when soaking, in a day or so as it dries a little it will get easier, just don't let it expand quite so much next time

you could put it on a sunny windowsill for a while that will help it dry a little

if i leave mine soaking it get to the point where it almost impossible to get a single pen out

Thanks searley

Looking at the timings of between 5 and 8 minutes, I did the timings to the very last minute suggested (8 minutes), obviously as you said I overdid it. Thanks for the advice :wink:

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have these and found that the trick is to try and get the granuals evenly distributed or more to the open end before you soak them.

Usually I tend to have 2 flex pens and 1 refill cartridge in there and it seems to go ok.

/A

Jgos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
being dependent
I have travelled with both Frio packs - duo and single - I used the single in the back of my cycle shirt - always worked - now on a disposable pump - so moving on with the heat issues. FRIO is good and works - dont fret - just be sensible.

Gos

spideog

The timings only really work if your reguarly re-charging them as well. If you have left them to dry out for a looooong time then it takes an equally looooong time to get them activated again the first time you re dunk them in water. All good again after that.

jameshallam

I've never had any problems with my Frio Duo. I use it for x2 Novo Pen 4s.
I normally let it completely dry out when not in use - then when i need it i let it soak for about 30mins - 1 hour !!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
searley said:

Agree with searley about over-doing the time Stoney, perhaps 5 mins will be enough next time.

Nigel

wigzaah

hi, i can't offer any advice on this subject but do have a question.

i was told by my SDN to keep my new/unused novorapid and insulatard cartridges in the fridge but she said that once i've put them in the pen to use not to worry about it. the files of insulatard last about 10 days but the novorapid maybe a month.

i would be interested to understand why there's a need for this sort of product? is it necessary for different types of insulin to the ones i use? i don't understand why my SDN said not to worry about keeping the cartridges cool once i've started using them

i suppose what i'm really asking is whether i ought to be investing in one?

any thoughts / comments welcomed

many thanks

Wig

RussG

Hi Wig,

This is common to the insulins I use as well (apidra and lantus / levemir). The insulin is fine out of the fridge but is not considered effective (and thus safe) after 28 days out of a fridge (this may vary slightly but that was what I was told), whereas if you keep it in the fridge, it lasts a lot longer and the clock only starts ticking once you've taken it out. If you kept it all out of the fridge, you'd need a new prescription every 28 days, which would be a right pain.

Hope that makes sense. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'ought to be investing in one?' though...

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Wig

Your DSN is right that the insulin you're using should be kept out of the fridge, but it needs to be below 25 or 30 degrees (check the package insert). In hot weather/hot environment you could use a Frio to keep it down to normal room temperature. The other main use is for spare supplies when away from home without a fridge.

LaughingHyena

I bought mine for keeping spare insulin cold when camping since I don;t have access to a fridge. I did find I needed to refesh it more often than the instructions said but it did keep cold.

Since I have it I'll probably use it for travelling in general, that way I'm less likely to forget to take home my spares because it can stay with the rest of my stuff.

At home I just keep my in use set in the kitchen cupboard and the rest in the fridge.

wigzaah

thanks to all for the information / advice.

when i said i wondered if i ought to be investing in one i simply meant i wondered if it was something i should buy but given the comments i don't think i do. i'm rarely in temperatures as high as 25 and always have access to a fridge when i go on holiday etc.

i have learned something new though so thanks to you all for that! in future i will make a note of the date i take the novorapid out of the fridge and make sure i only use it for 28 days.

many thanks

Wig

RussG

Hi Wig,

Ah, I see what you mean now. Glad the advice from everyone was useful. I've got a frio wallet and am going to Australia over Christmas so will definitely need to keep insulin cool. Don't forget, though, that if you're going somewhere on holiday that does have access to a fridge, you may well need to keep it cool on the journey there. Other people have also recommended vacuum flasks for that purpose.

Russ

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone

Just back from our trip to Spain visiting Neu Camp, Barcelona and various other areas. Frio wallets were a god send and definitely did the trick. James' BG control was very good as we kept him on the slightly higher side for fear of a hypo. Only one mishap one day with a reading of 2.7 but soon got him back up. Overall a very enjoyable trip and now it's time to get back on track and rigorous carb counting.

It was so nice not to have to write everything he eat down for the week which gave him a little bit of freedom too. Just wish it could always be like that.

Onwards and Upwards :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
stoney said:
Hi Everyone

Just back from our trip to Spain visiting Neu Camp, Barcelona and various other areas. Frio wallets were a god send and definitely did the trick. James' BG control was very good as we kept him on the slightly higher side for fear of a hypo. Only one mishap one day with a reading of 2.7 but soon got him back up. Overall a very enjoyable trip and now it's time to get back on track and rigorous carb counting.

It was so nice not to have to write everything he eat down for the week which gave him a little bit of freedom too. Just wish it could always be like that.

Onwards and Upwards :wink:

I bet James was excited visiting the Nou Camp! :D

Nigel