Metformin, is it good?

JoshuaCor

Any Type 2 users successfully using metformin? I need encouragement! Seriously contemplating taking metformin.
What about side effects?

D

Deleted member 308541

Any Type 2 users successfully using metformin? I need encouragement! Seriously contemplating taking metformin.
What about side effects?
I was on Metformin 2 x 500 grams for 2½ years, I recently stopped taking it after a series of great hba1c blood tests around 34 mmol/mol.

I had no side effects from it I took both the normal and extended release versions.

I posted about it here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/on-the-road-to-righteousness-hba1c-results.165061/

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I failed miserably, but since you asked about side effects... Nausia and the continuous runs. For some that goes away after 2 weeks (or after switching to the slow release kind, which wasn't available in the Netherlands back then), for me, it didn't. If you take it with breakfast it could be better too, should it bother you. For me, it was misery, which is why I looked for other solutions and found LCHF. That said, a lot of people do really well on the stuff, so it's worth a try. Just be ready for a week or two of side effects that can pass, and stock up on toiletpaper. ;)
What about side effects?

M

Member496333

Metformin is ok if you can tolerate it, but it’s not a miracle cure. It’s an effective adjunct to dietary measures, but won’t do a whole lot on its own.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin can affect your taste. If I remember correctly it was listed in the PIL as taste disturbance. That is the reason I stopped taking it. Food tasted like burnt plastic, especially the vegetables which is what I was supposed to be eating.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
What about side effects?

I have no experience of Diabetes meds, but I prefer to avoid all meds if there is an acceptable alternate solution.
I don't see any HbA1c levels for you, nor anything about your BMI or any Diabetic symptoms. Have you done your Profile yet? - Or is it just me being thick?

It is early days, but I am getting good results (on the BG test meter) from Low Carb, High Fat diet. I say diet, but is more of a lifestyle since I am not restricting my eating at all. My doctor gave me until late July to improve my HbA1c before discussing possible medication. If necessary I am prepared to do more regular IF as well as the LCHF to avoid more meds and stay down on my recently reduced dose of statins.

I am eating much more Cheese, nuts, eggs, Oily fish, non-processed meat, avocado, leafy and cruciferous veg. There are many good low carb veg to choose from, though fruit is a little harder.

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
I've been on Metformin for over half a year now. I'm positive about it, despite the occasional runs (after eating mostly carbs). It has curbed my appetite and helped lose some weight, and therefore also lower my HbA1C.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m another one who gets on well with Metformin. I do feel that my low carb diet is the real key though. I take 3 x 500mg/day but tried dropping to 2 last autumn. My blood sugars only went up by around 0.3mmol/l . The only reason I went back up to 3 is that my weight loss stalled. Once I reach target weight I will try dropping to 2 again.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Go for the SR (Slow Release) version if you have the runs and you may have the metallic taste for a while. It will only have small effect on bloods sugar