Tiia

So I have been to my diabetes check today and I got great news, I have managed to lower my Hba1c to 6.8 ! I'm thrilled about the level, even if I know there's still a lot to improve within my care due to hypos I get too often, but hoping to maintain the level with less hypos and the hypers that most likely are cause by the lows.

And for the reason that I am extremely insulin sensitive, Dafne suggested me to request a pump, so I spoke to the nurse today, and basically he told me to start doing a research for the pumps and try to decide what would be the best choice for me. Does that mean that it's quite sure I am getting a pump ? Or should I prepare myself to fight for the pump later?
I got an appointment for a clinic to higher my hypo awareness and he said that there they will do at the same time pre assessment. I was kind of in state of shock for my hba1c level and other things that I talked and didn't realise to ask if that's kind of approval or do I still need to wait further.

I am in a very desperate situation and really hoping to get the pump to be able to give correct amount of insulin for my carbs.
and also I have seen some people to get Tandem t:slim x2 pump, but not sure in which are or where in the UK they are living. So just wondering if anyone has managed to get that pump in are of central London? The diabetic nurse kind of mentioned about a new insulin pump, but then said we can discuss it later in the clinic, so I am hoping it to be this pump, but not sure about it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Tiia and welcome to the forum.

Good news about the pump. Out of interest how often are you going low ?

Pump choice is dependent on CCG, so in some areas we have little or no choice, I had no choice, but as I was struggling on injections any pump at the time would of been amazing, so I was more than happy to get approval and to start using the 640g. I have to admit it's been a great pump despite a few faulty pumps, I can adjust my bolus ratios throughout the day, as well as basal, and reduce basal for exercise. It's not a magic wand and requires constant input, I have to tell my pump what I'm eating so input carb values as well as corrections.

Please remember that ratios can change, it's understanding when and being on the ball to adjust when appropriate and the pump does require ongoing monitoring to ensure basal and bolus ratios are working as they should too.

Get a copy of pumping insulin which is perfect for understanding control using a pump.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
A pump sounds great for you as you can do teenie weenie doses tailored by the hour for the basal. And small bolus doses too with less likelihood of getting the calculations wrong when carb counting etc.
If your problem is managing small doses in the interim could you get a child insulin pen?
Best of luck.
I have a roche pump so am afraid I can't comment of the Tandem..If you are taking small doses however I've heard the omnipod can be good and doesn't involve tubing (sort of a patch thing).

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people
Hi @Tiia
So I have been to my diabetes check today and I got great news, I have managed to lower my Hba1c to 6.8 ! I'm thrilled about the level, even if I know there's still a lot to improve within my care due to hypos I get too often, but hoping to maintain the level with less hypos and the hypers that most likely are cause by the lows.

And for the reason that I am extremely insulin sensitive, Dafne suggested me to request a pump, so I spoke to the nurse today, and basically he told me to start doing a research for the pumps and try to decide what would be the best choice for me. Does that mean that it's quite sure I am getting a pump ? Or should I prepare myself to fight for the pump later?
I got an appointment for a clinic to higher my hypo awareness and he said that there they will do at the same time pre assessment. I was kind of in state of shock for my hba1c level and other things that I talked and didn't realise to ask if that's kind of approval or do I still need to wait further.

I am in a very desperate situation and really hoping to get the pump to be able to give correct amount of insulin for my carbs.
and also I have seen some people to get Tandem t:slim x2 pump, but not sure in which are or where in the UK they are living. So just wondering if anyone has managed to get that pump in are of central London? The diabetic nurse kind of mentioned about a new insulin pump, but then said we can discuss it later in the clinic, so I am hoping it to be this pump, but not sure about it.
Hi @Tiia
Warm welcome to the forum.
Very well done on getting your hba1c down to 6.8 .
I really wish you well on your onward journey .

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I got an appointment for a clinic to higher my hypo awareness

Have you tried asking for a libre? If you combine that with a miaomiao transmitter and xdrip app you may be able to set alarms for when you start to go low.... (That's assuming the libre works for you, it doesn't for me, but it does work for most/many people.)

Tiia

Have you tried asking for a libre? If you combine that with a miaomiao transmitter and xdrip app you may be able to set alarms for when you start to go low.... (That's assuming the libre works for you, it doesn't for me, but it does work for most/many people.)

Hi, I’m already on libre, so I know exactly when I’m going low and nights are my worst problem and also when I do even smallest kind of exersice. Usually I have 50-60g of carbs before exercise and it still goes low 4, but without exercise (like walking to work) my sugar levels are great. Libre has been a lifesaver for me and so glad I got it through NHS, otherwise I could not afford for it.

@NicoleC1971 I’m already on half unit pen, normally my ratio is 0,5:1 and if I have stressful situation I need about 0,75:1 it’s a bit complicated and it’s driving me crazy recently. Thank you for your suggestion for Omnipod, I will keep it on my mind when I do deeper research on the pumps!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Tiia Are you checking your night time lows against a meter, it's well reported that the libre causes false lows at night time due to compression on the sensor ?

Tiia

Hi @Tiia Are you checking your night time lows against a meter, it's well reported that the libre causes false lows at night time due to compression on the sensor ?

Yes, I always check the blood sugar with finger prick when the libre shows low sugar, because I don’t always trust it for lows or too high sugars.

Reactions: Juicyj

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi Juicyj I am using libre but have not been informed of this, my lows at night vary via reading from libre and meter test. Results in very high BG and struggling to get down in morning without taking correction dose as advised until 2 meal times passed. Helpful to know which BG to work with !

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Juicyj I am using libre but have not been informed of this, my lows at night vary via reading from libre and meter test. Results in very high BG and struggling to get down in morning without taking correction dose as advised until 2 meal times passed. Helpful to know which BG to work with !

Hi there, if your going low during the night but don't treat it at the time, then you can wake high as your liver dumps glucose into your system to manage it, however it's best to try and double check against a meter to treat if you do wake. If it's happening regularly then set your alarm to wake you at 2am to check.

You should always correct high BG levels upon waking though otherwise you will struggle to get your levels down.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Heathero to expand on the comment from JuicyJ
- Libre are more accurate between 4 and 8mmol/l. Outside this range, I always check with a finger prick
- Libre has a tendency to "compression lows". These are when pressure is applied to the sensor resulting in a false low reading. This is most likely to happen at night when you lie on your sensor.

These are the reasons why all lows, especially those at night, must be checked with finger pricks.
I would also encourage high readings to be checked with finger pricks to avoid over corrections leading to hypos.
Thank you I do double check with finger test. Following low and treating sometimes up to an hour or more later if I didn’t wake earlier seem to have extremely high glucose 13 -16 some mornings. Think due to sugar dump as Juicy mentioned. Will begin to correct high in morning as I did today so Bg ok by pm.

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69