Reassure me please..

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll start by saying I'm a natural worrier so I may be making a big deal out of this!

I've been diagnosed 10 years now. On Fiasp and Levimer mdi. My issue is dawn phenomenon and after trying everything was told the pump was only way to try and manage it.

I just received the phone call this morning that after 5 years on the waiting list (northern Ireland) they can finally offer me a pump. The nurse thinks I'll be all set and ready to go by Aug.

I am delighted! But my problem is...in Sept we are moving house, beginning our assessment process for adoption and going abroad for a wedding to Italy. I'm worried I'll have too much on to get the hang of it. My bgs are all over the place when I'm stressed.

Out of all those things my main worry is travelling with the pump, airport security etc. And how to dress as a wedding guest with a pump? My nurse thinks I'm worrying too much and that itll be grand and I do want to get started asap obviously for the adoption medical.

So I just need a little reassurance....is it doable?

Reactions: porl69 and Juicyj

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also just want to add I'm incredibly grateful to be getting the pump I hope my post doesn't make it seem like I'm not.

I wanted to ask quickly if there was any books re pumping I should purchase?

Reactions: Juicyj
D

Deleted Account

OK, so adjusting to a pump is not easy but there again there is never a good time to put your life on hold and get a pump.
I would jump at the opportunity.

With regard to travelling with a pump - no problem. I do this 10 or more times a year including airport security,
Dressing with a pump depends on type of pump and what you are going to wear but there will be a way. For example, I used to strap my pump to my upper thigh with a HidIn pump belt when I wore a dress. Some people put it in their bra, some people put it in their pocket. And if you have a patch pump, it is even easier to hide (unless you intend to wear a swim suit to the wedding :)).

Once you have worked out the pump, you will have a tool to cope with the added stress better than injecting.
Go for it!

Reactions: sjm1308

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sjm1308 Great news on the pump :)

It's a tough call as only you can make that decision, also they may want to start you on a trial with saline for a week first so it's best to speak to your nurse and discuss your situation with them. You will need back up insulin pens anyway regardless, so when you travel always take 3 times what you need and your back up pens too. I use pens when I have high glucose levels on the pump and inject with a pen to correct, it's rare but if there's an issue you need to ensure you have back up.

If it was me then I would go for it, but only because I was eager to start on the pump and wild horses wouldn't of stopped me, is there ever a perfect time to start, as I said only you can make that call though :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
hI @sjm1308 congrats on getting approval for a pump :). Did you have a choice of pump in your area? I would defo jump at the chance you have been offered. I recently started pumping in Feb this year, bit tricky getting it all set up for your own preferences BUT easily doable. I have not traveeled with mine as yet BUT I am off to Turkey in Sept, so will find out how easy then :)

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your input <3 I think I'm going to go for it! My gut is telling me to. And if I can manage it through a stressful period well that'll set me up for the future.

It's a Medtronic minimed I think? In my local trust they only do that one. From what i see they look quite bulky?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Get the pump, you will absolutely love it. And sure it's a learning experience, but it will make treating BG's so much easier in the long run
Besides I don't see your life getting less busier any sooner so......................go for it!!!!

Those small amount of carbs you eat and don't dose for? You will because it's a push of a button now. It's easy to split your bolus too, just a push of a button. Just so many things easier! I have DP and while it can't completely solve it, it certainly helps a lot. I have my pump set for much higher doses ( 2 times right now and it has been more than that in the past) for a couple of hours 5:30 am- 7:30 am to help cope with it.