Outbreak of diabetes in our area

Triscornia

Hello, I just found out that 5 children in the last year in my sons school have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I thought this strange and mentioned it to our Endocrinologist and she said yes there was a sudden outbreak in the area in the last year. They don’t understand why and have no funding to investigate. She didn’t tell me how many in total but it was a large enough for them to notice it.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening anywhere else in the world?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Very interesting! Whereabouts in the world are you? I am puzzled though as your profile says you are 16 but you say you have a son in school????

Last edited:

Triscornia

Very interesting! Whereabouts in the world are you? I am puzzled though as your profile says you are 16 but you say you have a son in school????

Yes sorry I am not very technical it’s my son who is 15 who has diabetes. Even writing on these forums not sure if doing it right.
Anyways I live in the South of France. There was no one in his school with diabetes and all of a sudden 5 kids have it , my son is the oldest as the other kids are all much younger.
If I won the lottery I would fun it myself to prevent other children getting it. All very weird.

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take a sample of your tap water (if used for drinking) and send for analysis. Arsenic exposure in drinking water has a possible link.

Reactions: Prem51

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes sorry I am not very technical it’s my son who is 15 who has diabetes. Even writing on these forums not sure if doing it right.
Anyways I live in the South of France. There was no one in his school with diabetes and all of a sudden 5 kids have it , my son is the oldest as the other kids are all much younger.
If I won the lottery I would fun it myself to prevent other children getting it. All very weird.
But how does one prevent type 1 diabetes? it's an autoimmune condition.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But how does one prevent type 1 diabetes? it's an autoimmune condition.

Yes but something triggers it. I was watching something recently in gut health and they said that most autoimmune conditions stem from poor gut health, something that can be affected by many factors, toxins being one as the destroy the good bacteria. Huge topic though.

Reactions: Tophat1900
M

Member496333

Yes but something triggers it. I was watching something recently in gut health and they said that most autoimmune conditions stem from poor gut health, something that can be affected by many factors, toxins being one as the destroy the good bacteria. Huge topic though.

Yes I’ve heard similar. Intestinal permeability seems to be a suspected culprit in the causation of many autoimmune conditions.

Reactions: Flora123

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I’ve heard similar. Intestinal permeability seems to be a suspected culprit in the causation of many autoimmune conditions.

Feeding human babies with non species specific, bastardised milk has a huge negative impact but the manufacturers have done a sterling job in convincing us that it’s awesome stuff. There’s also sexual objectification of breasts, no family community or NHS support that stops women feeding their babies.

M

Member496333

Feeding human babies with non species specific, bastardised milk has a huge negative impact but the manufacturers have done a sterling job in convincing us that it’s awesome stuff. There’s also sexual objectification of breasts, no family community or NHS support that stops women feeding their babies.

Honestly it’s not something I know much about.

Edited to remove inappropriate content.

Last edited by a moderator:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I had my time again, I'd have a) not had my babes by c-section (natural birth exposes babies to healthy gut bacteria) not that I had much choice here b) stuck at the breast feeding a bit longer (very middle class area here so no issues with using breasts for what they were intended..c) not given them antibiotics every time they had a minor infection that was most probably viral e.g. ears.
The Op lives in the South of France, so I am assuming these children have a healthy level of vitamin D via sunlight but prevalence of type 1 does increase the further away you get from the equator.
As has been mentioned it is a hard disease to vaccinate against given its unknown triggers. However if diagnosed early, type 1s can preserve quite a lot of their beta cell function (keto) though I suspect this is never the conventional treatment pathway...
I think prevalence is normally 1% so 5 in a year group does sound like a big exception...

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not been said that there were five in one year group, just that the other children were much younger than fifteen. We don't know the number of pupils in the school either.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine was apparently triggered by gastric flu - the virus causing it tried to hide in my pancreas and my immune system naplamed the lot.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes desease clusters occur just by chance and there is no common factor. There is a branch of epidemiology that studies clusters, particularly of cancer, to determine if they are significant or just random.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I found this on line Prof Richard Cornall talks about his research on autoimmunity

Triscornia

Seems to be a big enough problem for people to start looking at the problem.
https://journals.lww.com/co-endocri...idemic_of_type_1_diabetes___what_is_it.4.aspx

Yes we have an appointment with the endocrinologist at the hospital the end of August and I will ask how many in total have been diagnosed so far this year. She may not want to tell me but I will ask anyways. She will know as everyone has to go through her with diabetes. All I know is none of the children at the school has diabetes in the family as to the other people diagnosed I have no idea till I speak with endocrinologist at the hospital. I will let you all know if I get any more information.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
There is an interesting study published in 2018, mentioned some time ago on another thread, about mothers to be who ate over a certain amount of gluten-containing food during their pregnancy were twice as likely to have offspring who developed TID in the first 10 years of life.
https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k3547
Now if you happen to have a population of people with a higher than average incidence of auto-immune conditions such as TID, coeliac disease and this type of food exposure happens ( perhaps the baking shops in town are very popular) then an increase in appearance of TID might follow.
All conjecture of course but something to consider.