If you were away from home without your hypo kit...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
However, blagging it? If
I was caught out? (& pending on how low I was, fast acting IOB?)
Coffee. (Instant.) at work there is always an urn on the go or a kettle boiled, diluting sugar into the cup then adding cold water so its immediately drinkable without scalding was one I used in the distant past...

Some odd choices on here, coffee? I wouldn't say its particularly high sugar and you could burn yourself downing it in a dizzy hypo state.

Hi,
You are right the actual coffee of course. Purely a means to wash down the sugar.
I've tried necking it granulated from the sachet.. Nothing greases down the hatch quicker than fluid.. ;)

Reactions: adrian29459

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you were away from home without your hypo kit, and were having a hypo, what type of food or beverage would you seek out or ask someone to get and bring to you?

I was thinking about this today, and realized that soda probably wouldn't be a good option because it doesn't contain sugar - (I'm showing my age) - just high fructose corn syrup, which I assume would not treat a hypo? Am I right?

I'm in unknown territory here because I don't have T1DM, nor do I use insulin or medication.

What got this all started was talking with someone about how to assist someone with T1DM if they are having a hypo. I thought I knew the answer, now not so sure.

Any education you can provide would be most appreciated.
Never without jelly babies i carry them everywhere and coca cola great remidies

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Glucotabs for me. Especially as sugar would probably make me gag after a surgical stomach reduction. Low blood pressure etc and maybe a touch of RH.
Glucotabs or not missing a meal is my solution.
To be fair I've had only a few hypos which were just before mealtime so I brought it forward and reduced my bolus insulin if it wasn't a one off.

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now I don’t leave without Jelly Babies, although I may have to rethink them as I am going right off them and the usual cure of 3 is sending me rocketing in the other direction!

I am lucky that I get plenty of warning when hypos are coming on and it happened in NYC a few years back, so I grabbed a can of full fat Red Bull in the nearest Duane Reade and grabbed a pack of jelly sweets for my bag.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Jelly babies for me too, I have stashes everywhere just in case, handbags, bedside table, lounge and car. However lounge and car supplies mysteriously go missing when my beloved feels peckish! Mind you not had one for ages, hope I'm not tempting fate writing that!

Dambler77

If you were away from home without your hypo kit, and were having a hypo, what type of food or beverage would you seek out or ask someone to get and bring to you?

I was thinking about this today, and realized that soda probably wouldn't be a good option because it doesn't contain sugar - (I'm showing my age) - just high fructose corn syrup, which I assume would not treat a hypo? Am I right?

I'm in unknown territory here because I don't have T1DM, nor do I use insulin or medication.

What got this all started was talking with someone about how to assist someone with T1DM if they are having a hypo. I thought I knew the answer, now not so sure.

I re-use my test strip container filled with low cost (but fast acting) glucose powder (bought from super market). I have these stashed everywhere including wifes handbag.

Reactions: EllieM

Skyking

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi
Normally I always have a BG meter & 4g glucose tablets when away from home. For emergencies, Regular Coca Cola (not diet) works fine. Start with 1/2 ca and retest after 15 minutes.

LuckyLyn3s

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
If you can sallow, then simple sugars will suffice, followed by a piece of toast, check your blood glucose following this. If you take Acarbose or miglitol then sugar (sucrose) will be less effective though it will still work in higher doses, people taking those drugs, should carry a bottle of glucojuice, or something similar; sweets contain simple sugars..

If someone is too drowsy too swallow, then apply under the tongue (sublingual) or on the gums, it will still absorb. In dire emergencies, you could even give it rectal, if deemed appropriate.

In the hospital setting, oral is best but if unable, 150 mls of 10% dextrose intravenous, then re-assess. I would use glucagon as a last resort, it can take 10 minutes to work, and not everyone has a healthy glycogen reserve.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Chocolate works for me as does lucozade but that only has half the sugar now so you need more. Coca Cola is the only one that still has full sugar. Fizzy drinks get into your bloodstream faster.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Mini cans of coke have 15 g of carbohydrate which is exactly right amount to treat a hypo , to get the same amount from Lucozade you now have to drink nearly a litre of the stuff. Plus the mini cans are a great size to put in your pocket .Jelly babies I find are great plus you can get Glucogel on prescription and the sachets are quite wee too really good for a hypo ( even though it tastes like ***p) . Everyone should go though the situation once , then you’ll never do it again..

Reactions: richard de leeuw

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My glucose levels go very high so what should I do please?
You’ll have to explain a little more - and it might be best to start your own thread.
By go high - how high? When? And do you correct?

whiteorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’ll have to explain a little more - and it might be best to start your own thread.
I did not know it was diabetes causing my symptoms but my doctor said my glucose level was 19.1 and it went as high as 19.8. She did not tell me what to do about it. I am on metformin twice a day, slow release 500mg

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I did not know it was diabetes causing my symptoms but my doctor said my glucose level was 19.1 and it went as high as 19.8. She did not tell me what to do about it. I am on metformin twice a day, slow release 500mg
How long have you been diagnosed? Those numbers are high - do you test yourself? How was your T1 confirmed as you seem to be on medication usually prescribed for T2s. If you are T1 and seeing such high levels it may be time for insulin.
Happy to move the conversation to your own thread if you like.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can sallow, then simple sugars will suffice, followed by a piece of toast, check your blood glucose following this. If you take Acarbose or miglitol then sugar (sucrose) will be less effective though it will still work in higher doses, people taking those drugs, should carry a bottle of glucojuice, or something similar; sweets contain simple sugars..

If someone is too drowsy too swallow, then apply under the tongue (sublingual) or on the gums, it will still absorb. In dire emergencies, you could even give it rectal, if deemed appropriate.

In the hospital setting, oral is best but if unable, 150 mls of 10% dextrose intravenous, then re-assess. I would use glucagon as a last resort, it can take 10 minutes to work, and not everyone has a healthy glycogen reserve.

Sorry, that made me laugh. Rectal?, I can just imagine the scene. :)

whiteorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long have you been diagnosed? Those numbers are high - do you test yourself? How was your T1 confirmed as you seem to be on medication usually prescribed for T2s. If you are T1 and seeing such high levels it may be time for insulin.
Happy to move the conversation to your own thread if you like.
I was diagnosed 2 years ago but my diabetes spiralled end of last year and in August my Hba1c was 120 from 90 last November. Glucose level before breakfast today was 14. I am type 2

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I was diagnosed 2 years ago but my diabetes spiralled end of last year and in August my Hba1c was 120 from 90 last November. Glucose level before breakfast today was 14. I am type 2
Ah right, your profile says you are T1 so fixing that might help. Those numbers are high, have you tried adjusting diet at all or discussed other medication?

whiteorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@whiteorchid sorry to read about your problems.
I think you would get more responses if you started a new thread - this thread is about treating low BG and is in the type 1 sub forum. Treating a high BG is very different for someone with type 1 compared to someone with type 2.

A moderator can assist with moving your comments to a new thread
Thank you for the advice