Type 2 Hot weather

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So today is ridiculously hot. I’ve already drank nearly 1.5 litres of water but have headache so probably not enough.
Anyhoos.

This is my first hot weather since diagnosis.
The last time we had hot weather was last year and I ended up in hospital with kidney stones and told I was diabetic.
So today I feel quite anxious about it all.

So, as diabetic do we need to do anything different in the hot weather? Or is it normal stuff like drink, shade etc. Is there an increased risk with diabetes of anything, do we need to be more careful or is it just carry on as normal.

I’m off out later (I do rock choir and we have a gig) but they have agreed to let me have water (which I’m stashing in a ruck sack on my back) along with my testing stuff and snacks just in case.

I’m not feeling the most amazing at the moment but that could just be anxiety.

I don’t tend to let diabetes stop me from doing what I would normally do although I might get more stressed about it.

So I’m donning my hat and off to cut the grass and listen to the songs we are performing later and hope I remember the lyrics and harmonies.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Salt... if you are drinking lots you will also be depleting your salt stores.

Bill166

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cana, are you type 1 or type 2?

My main concern after reading your note is the stress; being stressed will raise your bg levels by itself, so if you see the numbers going up that might be the cause.

No particular reason to be worried about warm weather, if you use insulin keep it in the shade, drink water like everyone needs to. Chill out in the sun.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi Cana, are you type 1 or type 2?

My main concern after reading your note is the stress; being stressed will raise your bg levels by itself, so if you see the numbers going up that might be the cause.

No particular reason to be worried about warm weather, if you use insulin keep it in the shade, drink water like everyone needs to. Chill out in the sun.

Type 2

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hot weather, electrolytes become even more important.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Salt... if you are drinking lots you will also be depleting your salt stores.

Oh no. That makes you even thirstier.

I’ll have to find something. Not the salt and vinegar crisps that spring to mind immediately after reading this

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no. That makes you even thirstier.

I’ll have to find something. Not the salt and vinegar crisps that spring to mind immediately after reading this
Add a pinch of salt to whatever you are drinking.. I add it to coffee and tea.. or water.. it will replenish what you are peeing out if you are drinking lots.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Add a pinch of salt to whatever you are drinking.. I add it to coffee and tea.. or water.. it will replenish what you are peeing out if you are drinking lots.

Eek I detest salty anything. I might cook but if bacon. But am but wary because I have to sing later.

Just as an aside. I don’t seem to be peeing as much today. Given normally I drink less and pee a lot more.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Try having things like green salad as both cucumber and lettuce contain some useful minerals to balance the water.
The independent had a useful list this week of things to help keep us cool down enough to sleep, many of which are good for the daytime too.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
In hot weather you lose salt quickly and you dehydrate without enough water. Looks like you're hitting the water good, but not getting enough salt creates cramps, fatigue, headaches etc.So does low potassium and magnesium levels, but making sure you get enough water and salt is a good start.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pink Himalayan salt contains potassium and magnesium as well as regular salt. Plus it’s a pretty pink colour :p

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Had some beef meatballs with mayo. Hopefully that’s salty.

D

Deleted Account

In hot weather, the main concerns with diabetes are the stress on your body causing potential rise in BG and impact of the heat on BG meter and insulin. I recommend keeping both out in the shade. Otherwise they way stop working.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
In hot weather, the main concerns with diabetes are the stress on your body causing potential rise in BG and impact of the heat on BG meter and insulin. I recommend keeping both out in the shade. Otherwise they way stop working.

I’m
Not in insulin so that’s one problem sorted.

Rucksack is really uncomfortable on back so think I’ll have to just cope without drinking and see how it goes. Fingers crossed I’ve drank enough so far to keep me topped up! Although given my mouth is dry already I can’t see it happening!!

I have to say I’m much less angry at diabetes. But days like today it really gets on my nerves. Would be so nice to just rock up somewhere and not have to deal with side effects and blah!!

D

Deleted Account

I have to say I’m much less angry at diabetes. But days like today it really gets on my nerves. Would be so nice to just rock up somewhere and not have to deal with side effects and blah!!
Do as you would before diabetes to cope with the heat and the diabetes effects will be less.
Knowing I have type 1 for the rest of my life, I have learnt to accept it.
As Theresa May quotes from Steve Redgrave this week 'Diabetes must learn to live with me rather than me live with diabetes.'

Reactions: Bill166

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m
Not in insulin so that’s one problem sorted.

Rucksack is really uncomfortable on back so think I’ll have to just cope without drinking and see how it goes. Fingers crossed I’ve drank enough so far to keep me topped up! Although given my mouth is dry already I can’t see it happening!!

Side effects?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Cana ,

Personally, I find myself more insulin sensitive in the heat.

I sing in two rock bands. I normally keep water handy just to "wet the tubes" during a gig. Normally a bottle down by the monitor? Along with a seperate drinkable hypo treatment. (But that's just standard insulin dependant procedure.)
Just like fasting the afternoon prior to a gig I make sure I don't consume massive abouts of fluid in one go, restricting the diaphram & breathing as a vocalist. (But this is just ritual accommodating my personal diabetes regime.)

I'm not sure what the set up is with your Rock choir? But you could keep a bottle handy by your feet..(or if you use a music score sheet stand? Or mic stand. Oddly there are bottle holders on the market that can clip on & accomodate your beverage of choice..

Have a great gig!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the heat, and thrive on it. I'm really comfortable today, and have been out mowing lawns, weeding, tidying and digging.

I know it's not for everyone,but I just make sure I drink plenty. I do zero else specially for the heat now than I would have done pre-diagnosis.

@Cana - if you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Are you still off your Forxiga? If you are just drink more. If you are taking it again, seriously drink more as Forxiga stmulates you to pass water, with the aim of passing out sugars.

Enjoy your gig.