Weight gain

Camperman999

I need to gain weight but I'm really struggling to eat enough calories whilst keeping my sugar as normal as possible, obviously bread pasta etc are bad, so what else will give me calories allowing me to run and exercise without dropping weight?? I cant find anything to replace carbs adequately.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Firstly are you trying to gain fat or muscle?
Is this for mass gain needed for a medical reason e.g. you are medically underweight?
Do you have good energy levels and feel well at your current weight?
What have you found to eat that you do like?
Sorry, lots of questions!

Reactions: Camperman999

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to gain weight but I'm really struggling to eat enough calories whilst keeping my sugar as normal as possible, obviously bread pasta etc are bad, so what else will give me calories allowing me to run and exercise without dropping weight?? I cant find anything to replace carbs adequately.
If you are losing without trying and you still don't have a confirmed diagnosis then its highly likely you won't be able to do much until you get on the correct meds for the condition.
What kind of levels are you seeing day to day in terms of blood sugar? What tests have you had so far that have not led to a confirmed diagnosis?

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with bulkbiker.

We have to give more information if you want advices.
Like what kind of diagnosis have, if you had one. And how are your blood sugar levels. Good to know if you want some proper answers :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What type of diabetes do you have and what (if any) medication are you on?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @Camperman999 - Do you take any medications for your diabetes at all, and do you test your blood sugars? Both of those things could impact on suggestions.

I don't know if you've encountered this in your reading, but it can be useful for many on their journey with diabetes:

Newly diagnosed: what you should know

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Weight loss is a symptom of T1 as well as a symptom of too little food, and if you're becoming T1/LADA it doesn't matter how much you reduce your carbs, you'll eventually need insulin.
Have you had a cpeptide test?

The perceived wisdom on these forums re gaining weight on a low carb diet appears to be fat - cream, cheese, eggs, meats etc.

Camperman999

Hi everyone, and thanks for the replies.
Initially I was diagnosed as type 2, I stopped eating all sugar where possible and managed to get my HbA1c down to 'normal' levels, but the diet wasnt sustainable as running gym etc was leaving me not eating enough calories, my weight went from about 90kg to 78 which I'm putting down to suddenly not eating sugar, which largely comes attached to fat carbs, so although I didnt eat LOTS of sugar it had a dramatic impact giving it up. My Doctor agreed I needed to be able to eat more 'normally' and prescribed metformin. This has had little effect so I was sent to see a consultant, who guessed it might be chronic pancreatitis, I've never had any symptoms of this at all and all my bloods were clear and always have been, although I do realise it doesnt always show in bloods. My diabetic nurse is dubious and now thinks I'm type 1 as I fit few of the criteria for type 2, and the reason I can keep my sugar reasonable some of the time is purely down to exercise/running. My problem is that if I eat pretty much anything my sugar goes up to double figures, and this is very random and sometimes its okish, other times a can of tuna will spike me to 12 plus, there is no consistency. So as a consequence I'm worried to est anything and I'm not taking in enough calories, because I spike if I do!

My sugar runs anywhere between 4 and 18 mmol/L which is apparently why I feel rough some of the time, energy levels are intermittent, sometimes I'm ok others I feel exhausted, but have largely put this down to my shifts etc... but maybe it's my sugars?

My initial question was for calorific food that wont spike me badly but will possibly allow me to compensate for my lack of sugar/carbs, but I do realise it's really not that simple.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My initial question was for calorific food that wont spike me badly but will possibly allow me to compensate for my lack of sugar/carbs, but I do realise it's really not that simple.

Steak is usually pretty good with some melted butter.. if you spike a lot after that I'd suggest your nurse may be correct.
It's a good mix of fat and protein with no carbs. Rib-eye one of the best to test with.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Initially I was diagnosed as type 2, I stopped eating all sugar where possible and managed to get my HbA1c down to 'normal' levels, but the diet wasnt sustainable as running gym etc was leaving me not eating enough calories, my weight went from about 90kg to 78 which I'm putting down to suddenly not eating sugar, which largely comes attached to fat carbs, so although I didnt eat LOTS of sugar it had a dramatic impact giving it up. My Doctor agreed I needed to be able to eat more 'normally' and prescribed metformin. This has had little effect so I was sent to see a consultant, who guessed it might be chronic pancreatitis, I've never had any symptoms of this at all and all my bloods were clear and always have been, although I do realise it doesnt always show in bloods. My diabetic nurse is dubious and now thinks I'm type 1 as I fit few of the criteria for type 2, and the reason I can keep my sugar reasonable some of the time is purely down to exercise/running. My problem is that if I eat pretty much anything my sugar goes up to double figures, and this is very random and sometimes its okish, other times a can of tuna will spike me to 12 plus, there is no consistency. So as a consequence I'm worried to est anything and I'm not taking in enough calories, because I spike if I do!

My sugar runs anywhere between 4 and 18 mmol/L which is apparently why I feel rough some of the time, energy levels are intermittent, sometimes I'm ok others I feel exhausted, but have largely put this down to my shifts etc... but maybe it's my sugars?

Ok. Thanks for the additional context, @Camperman999 . What else are your team doing to try to get to the bottom of the T1/T2 diagnosis dilemma?

I can appreciate how you could feel somewhat rough with sugars spiking into t he teans and high teens. That you can also spike taking on board tuna does make me wonder if your pancreas is maybe splutrtering a bit. In other words, sometimes coping with living better than others. As a T2, I wouldn't usually expect my bloods to move much at all on tuna, unless it was in, say a honey mustard dressing, or some sort of BBQ concoction, then personally, it wouldn't do too much. Wveryone is different.

It seems important that you do get to the bottom of the diagnosis, as if you are indeed T1, you will need to switch to insulin at some indeterminate time in the future. Having a plan, with agreed trigger points could be very helpful. That's something to discuss again with your team.

In the meantime, if you want to take on board calories, without impacting your bloods, then the answer is uaually fats. I get through 2000-2500 calories a day, which is a fair amount for a femail 160cm and 48/9kg. When I wanted to stall my own weight loss (seems eons ago now), I had to up my protein a bit, then concentrate on upping my fats.

As fat generally takes longer to metabolise than carbs, if you are fuelling for exercise, you could need to fuel earlier, to give your system time to convert the fats to energy. They don't start metabolising in the mouth as some carbs do.

It's all a juggling act, but please do try to bottom out the diagnosis, by asking for c-peptide and GAD antibody tests, if they haven't already been run. If they have, ask about MODY. It is much less common than late onset T1, and the diagnostic tests are a bit different, focusing on some genetic stuff.

Whilst it is by no means a certainty, a calculator, used by the NHS has been developed to predict the probability of MODY. You can find it here: https://www.diabetesgenes.org/mody-probability-calculator/

If I recall correctly, there is an upper age limit for the calculator, but it could be useful to look at nonetheless.

It does, hoever, seem like you need to stay close to your team and badger them a bit to get to the bottom of things.

Good luck with it all.

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I hope you get a diagnosis soon. It does sound from the rapid weight loss and spiking bgs that you do not have enough insulin on board rather than you are insulin resistant (type 2) if in spite of dropping carbs/sugars. Metformin works by stopping the liver making glucose but if you are producing less insulin from your beta cells (type 1) then there is less inhibition of your glucagon producing alpha cells (insulin and glucagon are yin and yang!) so your blood sugars would still be high.
Feeling lousy goes with that territory because your body cannot get much energy from the food you are eating.
Until you are diagnosed therefore eating lots of nut butter, eggs, steak, avocado and snacking frequently should at least give you highly nutritious foods so that your body doesn't need to raid its own fat supplies. Check out low carb snacks/fat bombs at sites like Diet Doctor.co.uk as frequent snacking will be needed!
Let us know how you get on with the diagnosis and do push for the right tests.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds quite likely that you may be a T1 due to the low weight struggle. If so your body will be burning body fat to get energy and lack of insulin will be causing high BS. If you are T1 then the only solution is insulin or tablets could be of help in the 'honeymoon' period. The c-peptide test will help determine whether you are T1 or T2. Keep the carbs down until you have clearer diagnosis and have plenty of proteins and fats to keep you feeling full.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as agreeing that accurate diagnosis is a must - if it does turn out you are a confirmed type 2 then it is possible to be a low carb and even keto athlete. Even tour de France cyclists manage it. The exercise subforum probably has some members that can steer you far better than I how to achieve performance on low carb.