Help lowering HbA1C!

Kseyer

Hi!

So last year during my physical my HbA1C was 5.9, my doctor said I was prediabetic and that I needed to limit sugar and high carbs. Last year I was eating basically anything carb, like bread, cereals, junk food, ect. I didn’t make a change until recently this April, I cut back on bread, cereal, pastries which last year I would eat almost everyday and instead added more vegetables and protein to my diet and limited those sugary sweets like ice cream, donuts drinks that seriously I would eat multiple times in a week. I also started to exercise more than I’m used too with jogging once or twice a week in comparison to little physical activity last year. Anyways, I just had a repeat of my HbA1C yesterday and the result was the same number 5.9!! I’m very disappointed in the result as these past few weeks I haven’t had any sweets that I would normally eat, no bread, no rice. My diet that I’ve recently started is lettuce, fish, chicken breast, omelette, cheeses. There is one thing that I’m guessing could have evened out my blood sugar is that I’ve been snacking with nuts throughout replacing the bread and pastries? Nut snacking I’m afraid could be keeping my blood levels high, otherwise I really feel other than that my diet has changed from eating whatever I wanted when I wanted last year until April. I’m feeling very unmotivated after receiving these results because I feel that my “eat anything when I want” had the same levels as starting this new diet of limiting those foods!! My doctor says it’s good in the sense that the levels have stayed stable but how can I lower this value? I’m afraid I will just relapse back tomorrow into eating whatever I want after learning that my changes did not even change my blood levels in the slightest... any tips or advice?

Last edited:

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at it another way, it's possible that you were running a higher HbA1C in between the testing intervals when you were eating more carbs and now you are actually down following a period of low carb eating. Regardless, what's done is done and now you have a baseline to work with. It can take some time to really integrate the new way of eating and healthier living. I would suggest that you increase your exercise to daily brisk walks after your main meal for starters and consider integrating some intermittent fasting (IF). Lots of information on this site about IF or google Dr. Jason Fung to get the real lowdown. Basically it's about extending the period of time that you don't eat at all. We started with skipping breakfast and having the 1st meal at 11 am, now it's more like 2 pm and sometimes we only do 1 meal a day without even planning it. It's actually not that hard to do.

Sometimes the new diet can be a bit boring so (literally) spice it up. Check the labels on all condiments for carb counts before you buy. A dab of chipotle pepper with adobe sauce, curry, siracha or piri piri sauce added to mayonnaise will serve as a dip for raw veggies or will liven up a burger, chicken breast or sausage. Seeds added to salads or stir fried vegetables add crunch and flavour. I recently roasted up a pan full of pumpkin seeds and added Tamara soy sauce, garlic powder and cayenne for a salad topper after experiencing something similar at a restaurant.

Use celery or cucumber slices instead of crackers and pile on the cheese, cream cheese or smoked salmon. I did a plate of cucumber with smoked salmon & cream cheese topped with thin slices of red onion and capers the other day and never missed the crackers. After years of avoiding the butter and cream steamed spinach with plenty of butter or asparagus with sharp cheddar cheese sauce feels pretty luxe. Ditto whipped cream with a sprinkling of fresh berries. Rather than thinking that you are missing something, indulge sensibly, enjoy the feeling of moving daily and soon those numbers will creep down. You're in this for the long haul so hang in there, keep the faith and try not to get discouraged.

Reactions: Guna108 and Kseyer

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And one other tip, try to avoid salted nuts...very addictive! It's harder to overdo it on unsalted nuts. You can use them as salad toppers mixed with seeds (sesame, sunflower etc) and get the enjoyment without overdoing it. Sit down at a table to eat vs mindless munching in front of the telly. Make it pretty with nice place settings & flowers...you are worth being treated !

Reactions: Kseyer

Kseyer

Looking at it another way, it's possible that you were running a higher HbA1C in between the testing intervals when you were eating more carbs and now you are actually down following a period of low carb eating. Regardless, what's done is done and now you have a baseline to work with. It can take some time to really integrate the new way of eating and healthier living. I would suggest that you increase your exercise to daily brisk walks after your main meal for starters and consider integrating some intermittent fasting (IF). Lots of information on this site about IF or google Dr. Jason Fung to get the real lowdown. Basically it's about extending the period of time that you don't eat at all. We started with skipping breakfast and having the 1st meal at 11 am, now it's more like 2 pm and sometimes we only do 1 meal a day without even planning it. It's actually not that hard to do.

Sometimes the new diet can be a bit boring so (literally) spice it up. Check the labels on all condiments for carb counts before you buy. A dab of chipotle pepper with adobe sauce, curry, siracha or piri piri sauce added to mayonnaise will serve as a dip for raw veggies or will liven up a burger, chicken breast or sausage. Seeds added to salads or stir fried vegetables add crunch and flavour. I recently roasted up a pan full of pumpkin seeds and added Tamara soy sauce, garlic powder and cayenne for a salad topper after experiencing something similar at a restaurant.

Use celery or cucumber slices instead of crackers and pile on the cheese, cream cheese or smoked salmon. I did a plate of cucumber with smoked salmon & cream cheese topped with thin slices of red onion and capers the other day and never missed the crackers. After years of avoiding the butter and cream steamed spinach with plenty of butter or asparagus with sharp cheddar cheese sauce feels pretty luxe. Ditto whipped cream with a sprinkling of fresh berries. Rather than thinking that you are missing something, indulge sensibly, enjoy the feeling of moving daily and soon those numbers will creep down. You're in this for the long haul so hang in there, keep the faith and try not to get discouraged.

Thank you so much for replying to this post and advice! It gets so hard to continue the change of eating more healthy and exercising especially to see little to no change in labs :( I feel that everyday is a challenge and it gets hard when I keep thinking about all the other foods (unhealthy ) that I’m missing out on especially during work or parties.

I’ve noticed that foods do get a little bland, I need to look up more ways to give them flavor!

Any ideas on how to get my mind off sweets? Having a sweet tooth is one of the things that definitely makes it hard to keep in check!

I also find I get hungry throughout the day as I’ve started this new diet change, I’m not sure if this is because I’m not eating enough good fats, but before this I would eat lots of rice and bread and that would normally fill me up. Now with veggies and meat/fish I feel I need extra “snacking” and I find myself reaching for something to munch on! Not sure if I should premake and store healthy snack options so I can reach for those instead of nuts.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for replying to this post and advice! It gets so hard to continue the change of eating more healthy and exercising especially to see little to no change in labs :( I feel that everyday is a challenge and it gets hard when I keep thinking about all the other foods (unhealthy ) that I’m missing out on especially during work or parties.

I’ve noticed that foods do get a little bland, I need to look up more ways to give them flavor!

Any ideas on how to get my mind off sweets? Having a sweet tooth is one of the things that definitely makes it hard to keep in check!

I also find I get hungry throughout the day as I’ve started this new diet change, I’m not sure if this is because I’m not eating enough good fats, but before this I would eat lots of rice and bread and that would normally fill me up. Now with veggies and meat/fish I feel I need extra “snacking” and I find myself reaching for something to munch on! Not sure if I should premake and store healthy snack options so I can reach for those instead of nuts.

Get a meter. Seriously. If your HbA1c isn't shifting, and you don't see anything happening... That little device is a fantastic motivator. It'll tell you how you respond to carbs in varying amounts, and it'll shed some light on your current situation. A HbA1C is just an average, and from the sound of it you'r getting more insulin resistant/insensitive, but kept things from getting worse by lowering carbs. But that's just a guess when you're not doing finger prick testing yourself. In all likelyhood it is the nuts that are getting to you. Having no more than a hand full (30 grams) a day is fine, if it's walnuts or pecans... Things change when it's peanuts (actually not a nut but a legume) or almonds, cashews... Those are carbier, and if they're salted, you'll keep eating. I know I do. So... Get a meter, see what happens. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If there's a difference of more than 2.0 mmol/l, it contained more carbs than your body could process in a timely fashion.

As for snacks that won't trip you up: pork rinds, cheese (baby bells are easy to take with you), olives, few squares of extra dark chocolate (85% Lindt is nice. So is ). And yes, you could probably do with more fats in your diet, because you're not supposed to go hungry. Toss some bacon into your veggies, maybe cheese too. I know it made my meals more filling. Maybe drink a little more? Usually when I feel hungry and I pour some tea into me, the hunger goes as well. Turns out, thirst feels the same way, stomach-wise.

I hated tea without sugar. I put 5 scoops in every cup. Same with coffee, and even espresso. I'd get a double, and put 5 spoonfulls in. You could basically stick the spoon up straight, it was more like coffee-candy than espresso. My gran used to tell me I'd turn into a sugar-animal one day, with all the sugar I ate. (An old Dutch treat. Dunno if they still sell it now, have't seen them in decades.). These days I don't sweeten with anything. I may put some erythritol in an omelet, but haven't done that for a week or two either... That's the thing... When you stop eating sweet things cold turket, that sweet tooth? It goes away. Your palatte changes quite drastically. And i don't find other foods as bland anymore as I used to, weirdly enough. So give it a few weeks, hang in there, and you'll find you don't actually miss the sweet stuff anymore.

You can do this!
Hugs,
Jo

Reactions: Gran25

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might be inclined to wonder if in the period between 5.9s your A1c actually went up, and you have in fact brought it back down to 5.9.

Of course, we have no way of knowing this, and no way of examining history, but were that the case, it would certainly be worth continuing to eat well and retest again in a couple of months, if your doctor will. If your doctor won't you could have a test done in an NHS lab for around £29. https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/diabetes/

Monitor My Health is run from Exeter, using NHS equipment in the "quiet hours". I'll definitely try them some time.

Just for complete disclosure, I have no relationship with Monitor My Health. It just seems like a decent service and competitive price.

There are also home A1c tests available, if you preferred to go down that route.

Kseyer

Get a meter. Seriously. If your HbA1c isn't shifting, and you don't see anything happening... That little device is a fantastic motivator. It'll tell you how you respond to carbs in varying amounts, and it'll shed some light on your current situation. A HbA1C is just an average, and from the sound of it you'r getting more insulin resistant/insensitive, but kept things from getting worse by lowering carbs. But that's just a guess when you're not doing finger prick testing yourself. In all likelyhood it is the nuts that are getting to you. Having no more than a hand full (30 grams) a day is fine, if it's walnuts or pecans... Things change when it's peanuts (actually not a nut but a legume) or almonds, cashews... Those are carbier, and if they're salted, you'll keep eating. I know I do. So... Get a meter, see what happens. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If there's a difference of more than 2.0 mmol/l, it contained more carbs than your body could process in a timely fashion.

As for snacks that won't trip you up: pork rinds, cheese (baby bells are easy to take with you), olives, few squares of extra dark chocolate (85% Lindt is nice. So is ). And yes, you could probably do with more fats in your diet, because you're not supposed to go hungry. Toss some bacon into your veggies, maybe cheese too. I know it made my meals more filling. Maybe drink a little more? Usually when I feel hungry and I pour some tea into me, the hunger goes as well. Turns out, thirst feels the same way, stomach-wise.

I hated tea without sugar. I put 5 scoops in every cup. Same with coffee, and even espresso. I'd get a double, and put 5 spoonfulls in. You could basically stick the spoon up straight, it was more like coffee-candy than espresso. My gran used to tell me I'd turn into a sugar-animal one day, with all the sugar I ate. (An old Dutch treat. Dunno if they still sell it now, have't seen them in decades.). These days I don't sweeten with anything. I may put some erythritol in an omelet, but haven't done that for a week or two either... That's the thing... When you stop eating sweet things cold turket, that sweet tooth? It goes away. Your palatte changes quite drastically. And i don't find other foods as bland anymore as I used to, weirdly enough. So give it a few weeks, hang in there, and you'll find you don't actually miss the sweet stuff anymore.

You can do this!
Hugs,
Jo

Thanks for your reply! Did you feel that fasting helped your blood sugars overtime? I love tea no sugar, do you think using tea or coffee black inbetween meals instead of snacking would lower my sugar levels? I need to find more healthy snacks to feel full :(

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My initial A1c was also 5.9, and I have found that it has been difficult to reduce that to non diabetic levels. You have probably had elevated BG levels for years and not known it. So it might take some time to reduce your BGs. As your A1c came after less than 3 months after you started low carving, you probably had a lot of glucose sloshing around to get rid of.
It is often said its a marathon, not a sprint, good luck, work hard at it and you will get there.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply! Did you feel that fasting helped your blood sugars overtime? I love tea no sugar, do you think using tea or coffee black inbetween meals instead of snacking would lower my sugar levels? I need to find more healthy snacks to feel full :(
Fasting has improved my bloodsugars, but low carb already did a lot of the work. Fasting just made it even better. And yeah, tea or coffee between meals would help. You could check out Bulletproof coffee if the straight stuff doesn't do it for you, it's just a google away. Very filling, and a lot tastier than you'd expect.

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if it is considered an acceptable substitute, but we just have coffee with whipped cream (once a day) and it is amazing how long you can coast on that. As a coffee snob. normally I am black and strong all the way... I shudder at the thought of coconut oil being added to coffee as per the "bullet proof" crowd...

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try espresso with clotted cream.
I don't know if it is considered an acceptable substitute, but we just have coffee with whipped cream (once a day) and it is amazing how long you can coast on that. As a coffee snob. normally I am black and strong all the way... I shudder at the thought of coconut oil being added to coffee as per the "bullet proof" crowd...

Reactions: Gran25

Kseyer

My initial A1c was also 5.9, and I have found that it has been difficult to reduce that to non diabetic levels. You have probably had elevated BG levels for years and not known it. So it might take some time to reduce your BGs. As your A1c came after less than 3 months after you started low carving, you probably had a lot of glucose sloshing around to get rid of.
It is often said its a marathon, not a sprint, good luck, work hard at it and you will get there.

Thank you for your response, I haven’t even thought about that, it’s just recently that I’ve taken control of my lab values especially since getting older. Have you had success in lowering your HbA1C further?

Kseyer

And one other tip, try to avoid salted nuts...very addictive! It's harder to overdo it on unsalted nuts. You can use them as salad toppers mixed with seeds (sesame, sunflower etc) and get the enjoyment without overdoing it. Sit down at a table to eat vs mindless munching in front of the telly. Make it pretty with nice place settings & flowers...you are worth being treated !
Any suggestions on low carb breakfast or lunch ideas? I’ve started eating omelette and eggs which I never ate before this and usually veggies like lettuce and then chicken for lunch!

Kseyer

I might be inclined to wonder if in the period between 5.9s your A1c actually went up, and you have in fact brought it back down to 5.9.

Of course, we have no way of knowing this, and no way of examining history, but were that the case, it would certainly be worth continuing to eat well and retest again in a couple of months, if your doctor will. If your doctor won't you could have a test done in an NHS lab for around £29. https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/diabetes/

Monitor My Health is run from Exeter, using NHS equipment in the "quiet hours". I'll definitely try them some time.

Just for complete disclosure, I have no relationship with Monitor My Health. It just seems like a decent service and competitive price.

There are also home A1c tests available, if you preferred to go down that route.

Interesting info, I actually didn’t think of that, that my levels could have increased over the year from last year( I was eating very poorly before starting to eat more healthy in April), but such a disappointment to see it still the same. I’m hoping that continuing this new diet will get my levels down

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We usually skip breakfast but no reason why lunch can't be breakfast style. I am a big fan of frittata because it's fast yummy and good cold or hot. I usually make enough so there are leftovers. Essentially it's like an omelette only easier to make. Suate up onions, garlic in lots of olive oil and/or butter add mushrooms peppers, spinach, chard, kale broccoli or whatever you have hanging around in an oven proof frying pan. Crumbled bacon or sliced cooked sausage is always appreciated. Don't overcook the greens, basically you want to wilt them or barely cook the broccoli. Pour over a bunch of eggs whipped up with a bit of cream and your seasoning of choice, let sit for a couple of minutes until the bottom is set, the top will be runny. Dump a bunch of grated cheese on the top and pop under the broiler. Watch like a hawk so it doesn't burn and enjoy some now and the rest later.
I also like to have lots of nice cheeses, olives and charcuterie around for lunch or dinner. That with a couple of hard boiled eggs and a salad or a pile of raw veggies with dip and you're good to go.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We usually skip breakfast but no reason why lunch can't be breakfast style. I am a big fan of frittata because it's fast yummy and good cold or hot. I usually make enough so there are leftovers. Essentially it's like an omelette only easier to make. Suate up onions, garlic in lots of olive oil and/or butter add mushrooms peppers, spinach, chard, kale broccoli or whatever you have hanging around in an oven proof frying pan. Crumbled bacon or sliced cooked sausage is always appreciated. Don't overcook the greens, basically you want to wilt them or barely cook the broccoli. Pour over a bunch of eggs whipped up with a bit of cream and your seasoning of choice, let sit for a couple of minutes until the bottom is set, the top will be runny. Dump a bunch of grated cheese on the top and pop under the broiler. Watch like a hawk so it doesn't burn and enjoy some now and the rest later.
I also like to have lots of nice cheeses, olives and charcuterie around for lunch or dinner. That with a couple of hard boiled eggs and a salad or a pile of raw veggies with dip and you're good to go.

If someone doesn't have an ovenproof frying pan, the sauted ingredients into a preheated oven dish (Pyrex/Corning/Le Creuset ot such like), then follow through the rest of the steps. Provided the dish is sufficiently well heated it will work.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting info, I actually didn’t think of that, that my levels could have increased over the year from last year( I was eating very poorly before starting to eat more healthy in April), but such a disappointment to see it still the same. I’m hoping that continuing this new diet will get my levels down

To be honest, that would be my bet for what happened, but of course, there is absolutely no way of knowing.