Annoyed at myself

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Need a rant. So I’m at a birthday afternoon tea and felt obliged to try some cake and had no choice but to eat a sandwich. Something I haven’t done in well over a year and I’m not even a bread or cake person.

Ahh. 5.2 before and in an hour 8.8. Why do people pressure someone to eat cake?! They don’t know I’m T2 but why is there always pressure and comments about eating sweet things? I didn’t even enjoy it! It’s a bit like encouraging someone to drink when out. Why do people do it?

I hate to think what the 2hr Reading will be. Sorry. End of rant.

Edited to add. 10.4 2 hrs after

Last edited:
Reactions: Suenut_

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know just how you feel, I have been away for a few days staying in a lodge in Cumbria. We invited an elderly friend to come with us as she recently lost her husband and we thought a few days away would do her good. "M" is 87 and has type 2 diabetes. She is on metformin 500g x 2 and glipizide. She assured us that she controls her bloods well and is very careful what she eats and that her bloods are generally between 5.0 and 8.0. We tried to provide foods that she said she liked what she failed to mention was that she also couldn't live without crisps, chips, oranges, bananas, biscuits, sweets and cake. Those delights she repeatedly offered to us. I got fed up saying no "M". I cannot eat that to anything that was sugary or starchy. She couldn't understand that I wouldn't eat potatoes for example. "Well how about some chips then" was her response to that. It felt like I was under constant bombardment and even my non-diabetic husband was shocked and concerned at the rubbish she was eating.

"M" has had diabetes for 25 years she tells me she has no diabetic complications and that her diabetes support is well pleased with her. I don't know how!

It does us good to rant at times then we just knuckle down again and get on with the job of bringing our bloods under control. Hope that your postprandial bloods did not rise much more and at least you now know to strike those foods off your list of possible options.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Need a rant. So I’m at a birthday afternoon tea and felt obliged to try some cake and had no choice but to eat a sandwich. Something I haven’t done in well over a year and I’m not even a bread or cake person.

Ahh. 5.2 before and in an hour 8.8. Why do people pressure someone to eat cake?! They don’t know I’m T2 but why is there always pressure and comments about eating sweet things? I didn’t even enjoy it! It’s a bit like encouraging someone to drink when out. Why do people do it?

I hate to think what the 2hr Reading will be. Sorry. End of rant.

Edited to add. 10.4 2 hrs after

I know it is a great social problem for most people, not so much for me because I rate low on social sensibilities.
However I think we all should:
A). Be firmer about avoiding cake. Ask them if they would press a nice piece of Lard on a heart patient! ( I know that it would actually be good for them, but people who press sweet things on Diabetics wouldn't know that!)
B). Eat beforehand, so you are not hungry and find the least carb loaded thing available and eat only a little of that.

Personally I have stripped the bread off both Ham and Cheese sandwiches ( at 2 funeral 'wakes'), but I understand if not many people are thick skinned enough for that!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it is a great social problem for most people, not so much for me because I rate low on social sensibilities.
However I think we all should:
A). Be firmer about avoiding cake. Ask them if they would press a nice piece of Lard on a heart patient! ( I know that it would actually be good for them, but people who press sweet things on Diabetics wouldn't know that!)
B). Eat beforehand, so you are not hungry and find the least carb loaded thing available and eat only a little of that.

Personally I have stripped the bread off both Ham and Cheese sandwiches ( at 2 funeral 'wakes'), but I understand if not many people are thick skinned enough for that!

I have tried tactics like that but when I stripped the bread off a sandwich someone was discussing that I had an eating disorder. Sigh. Same if I choose not to eat. I’ve got myself into trouble with that and just because I’m slim everyone seems to assume an eating disorder. I should sit and eat butter and see what they say.

Thanks for listening x

Reactions: Breck Lundin

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know just how you feel, I have been away for a few days staying in a lodge in Cumbria. We invited an elderly friend to come with us as she recently lost her husband and we thought a few days away would do her good. "M" is 87 and has type 2 diabetes. She is on metformin 500g x 2 and glipizide. She assured us that she controls her bloods well and is very careful what she eats and that her bloods are generally between 5.0 and 8.0. We tried to provide foods that she said she liked what she failed to mention was that she also couldn't live without crisps, chips, oranges, bananas, biscuits, sweets and cake. Those delights she repeatedly offered to us. I got fed up saying no "M". I cannot eat that to anything that was sugary or starchy. She couldn't understand that I wouldn't eat potatoes for example. "Well how about some chips then" was her response to that. It felt like I was under constant bombardment and even my non-diabetic husband was shocked and concerned at the rubbish she was eating.

"M" has had diabetes for 25 years she tells me she has no diabetic complications and that her diabetes support is well pleased with her. I don't know how!

It does us good to rant at times then we just knuckle down again and get on with the job of bringing our bloods under control. Hope that your postprandial bloods did not rise much more and at least you now know to strike those foods off your list of possible options.

Frustrating isn’t it. Potatoes are vital to life!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Feel sorry for you that you felt obliged to eat cake/sandwiches! I do usually plan ahead and decide to either eat it or not. Then it is my decision and not the decision of others who simply feel uncomfy that you are not indulging in the same way as them. My family certainly know not to question it (they do not appreciate my lectures on the on essential and addictive nature of carbohydrates)!
Next time, I might go for an extra glass of champagne and skip the scones...

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It’s annoying. Was at an armed forces fete today and this woman came up to us with a box of cakes.
I just said please don’t show me and she said oh I have some more.
She didn’t know about the diabetes, the one next to me said no as she is on a diet but the cake woman took her time to stop showing me them!!

When I go to book club sometimes we have brunch and I change the meal to go as low carb as possible. The others sit there saying how I’m missing out on the best bit.

I am missing out but I really don’t have a choice. I’d love some bubble and toast but I can’t do why say anything!!

We should be able to bop people over the head

Reactions: Flora123

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Or we could simply say "my long term health is more important to me than the short term enjoyment of eating bad food"?

Bopping is easier. The people I was with mostly know but the woman was a stranger and I couldn’t be bothered to have to explain.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It’s annoying. Was at an armed forces fete today and this woman came up to us with a box of cakes.
I just said please don’t show me and she said oh I have some more.
She didn’t know about the diabetes, the one next to me said no as she is on a diet but the cake woman took her time to stop showing me them!!

When I go to book club sometimes we have brunch and I change the meal to go as low carb as possible. The others sit there saying how I’m missing out on the best bit.

I am missing out but I really don’t have a choice. I’d love some bubble and toast but I can’t do why say anything!!

We should be able to bop people over the head
My personal grrrrrr moments are the Cancer charity cakefests (no irony) or the Diabetes CCG meeting I attended as the patient voice, which had a tin of chocolates in the middle. Somewhat inappropriate.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just say I'm not allowed gluten which seems to do the trick and allows me to eat the middles out of sandwiches or sausage rolls.
Feel for you that your bloods have continued to rise, hope they are coming down nicely now.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bopping is easier. The people I was with mostly know but the woman was a stranger and I couldn’t be bothered to have to explain.

I have never, ever (and I do mean ever) explained to anyone. Whilst being gluten free is now convenient, at times like this, I haven't always had to eat this way either.

When in your shoes (i.e., I chose not to eat "stuff"), I'd just say, "No thanks." If there was further enquiry, I just told them something like, "Trust me, you don't really want the explanation, but thanks for offering."

Most folks assume it'll either be a story of gore or exceptional bathroom activity, from one end or the other, and scuttle off thinking they've had a lucky escape. They're actually not that interested. They're rarely interested in my health.

Alternatively, maybe I just have a "don't mess with me" face. :)

Last edited:

Hwad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I feel the same way about the charity bake sales at work. I found myself giving this lengthy explanation only to be told by one of the lady bakers that she has a recipe for beetroot brownies

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It begs the question....WHY did you eat them if you knew what was going to happen with your bloods....?

Pressure I guess. I recently had a situation with someone who didn’t know my situation (and I’m a private person so I don’t want people to know) who said I was very rude for not eating something despite saying no I’m fine thanks etc etc. I was NOT rude but I now feel I can’t do anything right.

Reactions: porl69
D

Deleted member 308541

I get offered cake and sandwiches by the lady bowlers after their afternoon break, they always ask if I can eat them safely as I have declined them before as I am a carb intolerant T2 diabetic.

This tray full was from last year that ended up behind the bar.

VDYwq83.jpg

I did eat some of these tho',

cw7N59x.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It begs the question....WHY did you eat them if you knew what was going to happen with your bloods....?

I must say, if someone offered me an alcoholic drink I would say 'No thanks, I'm fine with tea or coffee, as I'm not really a drinker, or if I was offered a cigarette, I would definitely say no. Sounds like you need to stand up for yourself a little more and don't let other's manipulate you,
No means no, if they don't like it, then that's their problem, not yours.
ps I couldn't eat the sandwiches or cakes, because of a medical condition.

Reactions: porl69