Freestyle libre reader update

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone had the reader update is it as good ie more accurate as abbott say it is, just wondering as I will do mine on Wednesday

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply, just ordered a new reader as my present one is rattling, so I will see if it needs the update or not, Abbott gave me the update number so it will be easy to see

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Peter03 , I've not been following the upgrade thing too much as I use libre with a miaomiao transmitter and xDrip+ so really just use the reader to start the sensor, but one thing which I've noticed is that if you've got an active sensor running, on, say, day 7 or whatever, if you upgrade the reader then it seems not to be able to read the sensor, so probably best to wait till next sensor change, and activate it with the upgrade. Could be wrong on this but that seems to be the message coming across from upgraders.

The other thing which is happening is that Abbott have been "batch calibrating" sensors - make a big batch, pull a few, calibrate them against a known glucose quantity, apply that calibration to the whole batch - whereas with libre version 2, out in Germany, not here yet, they're calibrating each individually - there's been some speculation that they're already doing that just now on version 1 as a test run, but no-one knows for sure. The hopes are that individual cal will tighten up the sketchy ones, but we must wait and see.

Reactions: himtoo

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes my senser runs out on Wednesday and yes they do say to only update before you start a new senser, things have changed a lot in the 50 years I have been a diabetic, let's hope things keep getting better.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes my senser runs out on Wednesday and yes they do say to only update before you start a new senser, things have changed a lot in the 50 years I have been a diabetic, let's hope things keep getting better.

Lol, yes, I've only been T1 for 30 yrs, so was lucky enough to miss the peeing on tablets bg testing method! Started out on those new fangled colour changing strips.

It's really good to see veterans like you adopting the new technology - hats off to you, mate!

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been testing the update on my new reader against my old reader without the update with 2 sensers and doing blood tests, the updated reader seems to be more accurate and one more plus for British diabetics living in france the new reader you can choose French or English, which I am sure will help some English speaking people, shame abbott keep having supply problems again, now they are saying it is because they are having to re label all senser boxes as the price has come down again for the French health service

Last edited:

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone had the reader update is it as good ie more accurate as abbott say it is, just wondering as I will do mine on Wednesday
I have not been made aware of this reader update. Does it mean having to buy a new reader or can the current one be somehow updated?

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, yes, I've only been T1 for 30 yrs, so was lucky enough to miss the peeing on tablets bg testing method! Started out on those new fangled colour changing strips.

It's really good to see veterans like you adopting the new technology - hats off to you, mate!
I was diagnosed T1 44 years ago in India. Forget peeing on the tablet, it was boiling your pee with Benedict’s solution in a glass test tube watching for the colour to change! More often than not the liquid would boil over and shoot out of the test tube across the kitchen! We are indeed living in easier times!

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have not been made aware of this reader update. Does it mean having to buy a new reader or can the current one be somehow updated?
Just checked on Abbots website to see it’s a software update and detailed instructions are there.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes easy to update your reader, I just had a new reader because my existing reader started to rattle but still works, but did not want it to stop at a weekend and then have to order a new one, Abbott was very good and sent a new one straight out, so I have two sensors working and two readers for the next two days just to see the difference

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes updated my phone today reading much closer to freestyle test strips/ meter. However reader showing hypo 1.5 difference-not seen before . Maybe I need to update reader but thought Done other day unfortunately before sensor change today (as last one fell off after a shower)

Last edited: