Annoyed at myself

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I told you the whole story about my in-laws it would shock you. They told my husband I was rude for (politely) declining several things in offer in a previous incident! . I think I need a dog and I can feed it things under the table!

DawnOfTheZed

I sometimes say 'Oh that's a shame, I've just eaten.' If I get pressed 'No honestly, I'm really stuffed' or 'Can I take a couple for later?' then walk away with a couple (which will go in the food waste bin in due course)..

Re family, if you're planning on losing weight, you could say you're on a strict diet (and be responsible for yourself by bringing all or most of the food you plan to eat). You can't stop others taking offence. They may have some sympathy if they weren't warned and they counted you in the food numbers, which cost them time and money?

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’d love to but they know that isn’t the case. I’m choosing from now on just to say no thanks and then ignore other comments.
You could develop an allergy overnight ;) Joking aside, I became highly allergic to meat and then shortly after, dairy, in a matter of weeks. But I do appreciate it can be difficult, I had some really mean messages from my ex in-laws about how difficult I was making it for them to have us over for food because I was “fussy”. I always offered to bring something to share that I could safely eat, but they wouldn’t have it. They’d say to “treat myself” and have the forbidden foods, as if it’s a treat to end up gasping for breath, chugging on a ventolin inhaler and feeling terrible for a day after. Quite glad they’re ex-inlaws tbh, but that’s probably not an option!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
When pushed i sometimes say i am allergic to ingredients in said food.
If that does not work i ask them to have an ambulance ready and will they be ready to assist me when i am ill?

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Breck Lundin

I have tried tactics like that but when I stripped the bread off a sandwich someone was discussing that I had an eating disorder. Sigh. Same if I choose not to eat. I’ve got myself into trouble with that and just because I’m slim everyone seems to assume an eating disorder. I should sit and eat butter and see what they say.

Thanks for listening x
as the say went "... let them eat cake!....". Eat what works for you an be damned any whispers & opinions. Remember the best way to manage a rude question at a social event is a punch in the nose (you know what i really mean, go for their jugular verbally. )

hegelegan

I feel the same way about the charity bake sales at work. I found myself giving this lengthy explanation only to be told by one of the lady bakers that she has a recipe for beetroot brownies
Oh I've been offered diabetic brownies to my T1 daughter well meaning of course but had to explain its the carbs we are counting as well as the sugar! You do get fedup of explaining sometimes!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

hegelegan

I see your point but when it is family who don’t know your medical condition because quite frankly it’s none of their business (you’d understand if you met them!) then it’s hard and to be told I’m rude for refusing something is very upsetting (different incident). At that time I was told I should accept and eat!!! I can’t win but I do stick up for myself mostly but it’s got me in a lot of trouble in the past sadly.
We're not all strong when it comes to pressure and family always know what buttons to press! Plus everyone has a weekness to something that they find hard to say no too! And sometimes on the hard day's we give in to pressure! So I understand you! Nobody should judge you! People are dumb sometimes! I agree with the person early about bopping on the head

Reactions: Flora123

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been told that I am very patient, but when teaching machine knitting and I say 'stop' only to see the person go on pushing until something breaks, I have been known to ask what part of 'stop' do they not understand. I'd be inclined to devise a similar question for those pressing unsuitable food - luckily I don't need to work on that, but it really does make me wonder about the mentality of people who need to go to such lengths as described.