Blister

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably a silly question but i don't know so will ask anyway, recently increased the distance of my daily walk to just over a mile, after a couple of days big toe felt sore, on inspection there was a blister half way down the toe on the join, today toe isnt sore so just checked and looks like blister has burst should i be worried?

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cover it up with dressing. Also, put surgical spirit on it next time you get one. A burst blister is open to infection.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cover it up with dressing. Also, put surgical spirit on it next time you get one. A burst blister is open to infection.
Thanks Gemma2, is a Normal bandaid plaster O.K as a dressing? and was rather hoping there won't be a next time but thanks for the info :)

DawnOfTheZed

Compeed are excellent. Do you have any neuropathy problems? Speak to the pharmacist and tell him/her about your diabetes too. Are your shoes right? Correctly fitting shoes shouldn't rub to cause blisters. If necessary, get the nurse at the GP surgery to look at it, but try pharmacist first? Good luck

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Compeed are excellent. Do you have any neuropathy problems? Speak to the pharmacist and tell him/her about your diabetes too. Are your shoes right? Correctly fitting shoes shouldn't rub to cause blisters. If necessary, get the nurse at the GP surgery to look at it, but try pharmacist first? Good luck
Thank you DawnOfTheZed, only diagnosed nov18 don't think its a problem with shoes, had them a while, never really suffered with blisters before and assumed it was sore as it was in an awkward position on the underside of the toe, ws only small ans only a slight split gota bandaid covering it for now will keep an eye on it and see how it is in the morning and go fro there.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have a large blister on the bottom of my left heel, from being at the beach on Saturday, quite painful at the time and hot to the touch too, but I have been gently applying Sudocrem and it is feeling much better.

DawnOfTheZed

Some good advice I received from a foot doc shortly after dx was to always wear footwear from now on, ie no bare feet in the house (ie slippers) and in the beach (good sandals) because easy to stand on something and not notice. Also always check footwear for grit or stone before putting it on. Can't be too careful with feet now.

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Been a LONG long time since either spider caused a fatality though.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some good advice I received from a foot doc shortly after dx was to always wear footwear from now on, ie no bare feet in the house (ie slippers) and in the beach (good sandals) because easy to stand on something and not notice. Also always check footwear for grit or stone before putting it on. Can't be too careful with feet now.
Always wear footwear even before diagnosed, just added flip flops going from bedroom to bathroom up until getting in bath/shower, also given same advice on diabetis course i attended.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some good advice I received from a foot doc shortly after dx was to always wear footwear from now on, ie no bare feet in the house (ie slippers) and in the beach (good sandals) because easy to stand on something and not notice.
Only if you have neuropathy and have reduced sensation in your feet though.
I always walk around the house and in the garden barefoot.

DawnOfTheZed

Actually the doc said for me to get in the habit and not wait until neuropathy. I've always worn house shoes inside so not too diff for me. Too easy for a blister to go bad. But hey, all just opinions here for OP.