iamthebest

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hello there,
greetings of the day.
I am diabetic since late 2015, most of the time my HBA1C is within 6.5, barring a few times when it went upto 7.2. my triglyceride is quite high since almost last 13 years, at times it went above 450. for last few years it is within 300 n this year as low as 222.

my cholesterol in last 5 years varies from 148 to 187, once it reached to 209.

now my question, all doctors are giving me some medicines to reduce triglyceride / cholesterol, but these medicines makes me constipate, even if i take some mild laxative, after 1 week or so the constipation become worst and I have to stop the medicines. then in 2 days time I am ok.

doctors are not ready to accept this, as according to them these medicines have no such effect to constipate. I do not contest what they say but for me it is unacceptable they do not wish to see what I say. in this process I have changed 4 doctors so far.

my present doctor has prescribed Canagliflozin hemihydrate 100 mg after bf n Rosuvastatin calcium 20 mg + fenofibrate 160 mg after dinner. the 2nd medicine is worst for my constipation, I took it for a fortnight then, stopped. the first one I ma taking for more than 2 months n stopped just yesterday.

i seek advise as to what should I do or if someone have similar experience to share and if he or she found any solution.

thanks for your time n reply.

D

Deleted Account

Have you reviewed the leaflet that comes with your medication.
This should list all possible side effects of the medication.

Unfortunately, doctors don’t always review these side effects in detail, so may not be aware of constipation.
However, if it is not listed on the leaflet, it may be caused by something else.

C_Wilson_14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My doctor always tells me if the medication may cause constipation, & we then joke about prunes (which I like) & I eat a nice soft pear every day, & always drink plenty of water.

SusanneLowe17

hello there,
greetings of the day.
I am diabetic since late 2015, most of the time my HBA1C is within 6.5, barring a few times when it went upto 7.2. my triglyceride is quite high since almost last 13 years, at times it went above 450. for last few years it is within 300 n this year as low as 222.

now my question, all doctors are giving me some medicines to reduce triglyceride / cholesterol, but these medicines makes me constipate, even if i take some mild laxative, after 1 week or so the constipation become worst and I have to stop the medicines. then in 2 days time I am ok.

doctors are not ready to accept this, as according to them these medicines have no such effect to constipate. I do not contest what they say but for me it is unacceptable they do not wish to see what I say. in this process I have changed 4 doctors so far.

my present doctor has prescribed Canagliflozin hemihydrate 100 mg after bf n Rosuvastatin calcium 20 mg + fenofibrate 160 mg after dinner. the 2nd medicine is worst for my constipation, I took it for a fortnight then, stopped. the first one I ma taking for more than 2 months n stopped just yesterday.

i seek advise as to what should I do or if someone have similar experience to share and if he or she found any solution.

H
hello there,
greetings of the day.

Hi,
I’ve recently been prescribed canagliflozin and the one thing both my GP and pharmacist stressed was that it’s important to drink lots of fluid. I manage 2+ litres per day and have no side effects at all.