What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to keep things safe atm but still needto eat 3x daily. hBA1c on Wed.
Breakfast: Usual slice HiLo toast,butter, tea x 2.
Lunch: 2 slices thick Corned Beef, tablesp cheese coleslaw.
Supper: roasted aubergine, red onion and 1 tomato EVO and sprinkle Italian dried herbs. Will try and resist afters.
Interesting convo re roasted radishes, and roasted beetroot. Suppose you can roast anything though saw on another thread celeriac doesn't roast well. Still it makes a great mash IMO

Roasted beetroot with some balsamic vinegar and toasted sesame seeds is excellent.
Roasted celeriac is magnificent - you do need to roast it whole - lots of good recipes on the wonder web.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This evening, I have chef. I always cook when MrB plays golf (he does the rest), so often I'll try something new. Tonight it was this: https://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-kerala-beef-fry/

It really was delicious, and very easy. It could also work well in the slow cooker, after the saute and browning stages.

For us, I used half the recipe, and with our hearty appetites, there was enough left over for another generous meaal for one, or it'd stuff two peppers.

I've done severalmyheartbeets recipes and they've all been very tasty.

Interesting - slices of coconut - I don’t have an instant pot but as you say, will try it in a slow cooker.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting - slices of coconut - I don’t have an instant pot but as you say, will try it in a slow cooker.

I must admit, I didn't have slices, so lobbed in some dessicated coconut. I'll buy a coconut, do the shavings, then freeze them.

One thing I liked was this could really easily be a pantry and freezer recipe, so great in a bind.

I thought I had read of you using a pressure cooker in the past? The IP is only an electric pressure cooker with some extra functions thrown in. To be honest, I often saute/brown in either a frying pan or wok. I'm quite short and the angles aren't good for me to saute in the pot. I'm happier doing that than burning my forearms..

There's a small, 3ltr pot being launched shortly. I might have one of those too. :)

Reactions: zauberflote

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
What have eaten today? Umm a sensible start to the day with a new batch of nut museli. But not hungry so that was all. Apart from the obligatory cups of tea, that is.
Them it all went to pot, worrying about Mr slim,and noting that i had lost significant weight this week( now 46.9kg from 47.3) went a bit mad on the emmental. Then ate a whole croissant. That left me feelibg stuffed, so lunch was a bit smaller than usual, salad, ham, egg, pistachio flavoured creme pot, we had one each. His appetite is noticeably down, although maybe inactivity has a role in that.
Dinner, a version of cauliflower cheese with mangetout from the garden and another pistachio creme pot. Several glasses of wine.
He says he is recovering but it's very slow.
On the other side I went out and topped some of the orchard. Discovered a problem with the linkage and successfully asked a neighbour, who has not a word of English to help me fix it.
Probably finish the job tomorrow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken with a leafy salad and one small tomato followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: bolognese on stir fried courgette with a sprinkling of mature cheddar followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

0B1E0C99-EDF6-4B12-8D84-6F2943B325A1.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trying to keep things safe atm but still needto eat 3x daily. hBA1c on Wed.
Breakfast: Usual slice HiLo toast,butter, tea x 2.
Lunch: 2 slices thick Corned Beef, tablesp cheese coleslaw.
Supper: roasted aubergine, red onion and 1 tomato EVO and sprinkle Italian dried herbs. Will try and resist afters.
Interesting convo re roasted radishes, and roasted beetroot. Suppose you can roast anything though saw on another thread celeriac doesn't roast well. Still it makes a great mash IMO
I've roasted celeriac before. It doesn't crisp easily but it is roast - able. I cut it into cubes and made parmentier celeriac.

Reactions: zauberflote

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit, I didn't have slices, so lobbed in some dessicated coconut. I'll buy a coconut, do the shavings, then freeze them.

One thing I liked was this could really easily be a pantry and freezer recipe, so great in a bind.

I thought I had read of you using a pressure cooker in the past? The IP is only an electric pressure cooker with some extra functions thrown in. To be honest, I often saute/brown in either a frying pan or wok. I'm quite short and the angles aren't good for me to saute in the pot. I'm happier doing that than burning my forearms..

There's a small, 3ltr pot being launched shortly. I might have one of those too. :)

Yes, I do have a pressure cooker so perhaps brown in that and then finish off with the lid on. Have looked at the instant pot but do I need another “thing” in the kitchen. My mum has a Thermo Mix but will anything replace my Vitamix/pressure cooker/slow cooker ensemble.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I do have a pressure cooker so perhaps brown in that and then finish off with the lid on. Have looked at the instant pot but do I need another “thing” in the kitchen. My mum has a Thermo Mix but will anything replace my Vitamix/pressure cooker/slow cooker ensemble.

I've looked at the Thermomix, and of course it's an impressive bit of kit, but then, so is the price.

I wouldn't "drive" the manual pressure cooker my OH used for eons, but I am confident with the IP (probably says more of me then the gizmo). I actually bought it when the slow cooker developed a through-and-through crack, and decided I'd buy a multi-cooker of some sort. The stainless steel inner pot was one of my imperatives, which cut down the options, and in the end the IP won. It is now used to the extent it lives out on the prep bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Corned silverside and mustard sandwiches.
Dinner: Steak and veggies in a puddle of gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh goodness the evening has slipped past. Have to post first and read later
Morning CWC various teas.
NE1: tin of mackerel in olive oil salad 1/2 avocado walnuts and a Babybell
NE2: IP low carb chicken tikka masala with mushrooms and spinach. Then sf jelly&cream.

Viv19

I was thinking about what someone (and I can’t remember who it was) said about wanting to like avocado because it’s good food but finding it bland. Have you tried having half an avocado (or maybe a whole one of those little things) with Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce on it? Very good.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Didn’t get to post yesterday - very early bedtime as a result of achieving my goal of walking the length of Manhattan in one shot. 43k steps and an OMAD + day. Very late lunch/early dinner of rotisserie chicken supplemented by a piece of cheese with butter once back at the hotel.

Today I’ve been a bit hungrier and grazed a bit. Have also discovered the shop of ultimate temptation in New York. Ate a small bag of almonds around 10am followed by lunch of 2 fried eggs and bacon. Early afternoon ate a small bag of salted almonds and pistachios before succumbing to an ice cream combination of 75% chocolate gelato and 82% chocolate sorbet (see pic). Was allowed to taste both before committing and as they didn’t taste sweet went for it. BG promisingly went down initially but then shot up more than I’d have liked. Same shop has a pick and mix, including high percentage cocoa chocolates. Luckily way too expensive to over indulge. Dinner at Five Guys - bunless cheeseburger with onions and mayonnaise brought BG back into line.

@zauberflote great to see you back and sorry to miss you too.

@maglil55 thanks for the good wishes.

@Rachox glad to see the single Jaffa cake is still on the menu.

@ianpspurs and @maglil55 I’m wearing a Libre while on holiday - much easier than finger pricking when out and about. Have compared against the meter a couple of times and seems to be roughly aligned. Unlike my previous one failed spectacularly - first reading was 16.6 (!), followed by two in the 14s. Then it died.

4455A26A-5851-4970-8644-9D8BAAD43F7D.jpeg
4704FB60-C8EF-41AC-B347-BA21FA5B7540.jpeg

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@PenguinMum good luck! You have paid your dues!
@SlimLizzy !!! I am glad you came back while I was away. I may catch up; I'm sorry we are worrying about Mr Slim and your weight....glad he feels he's recovering.
@Viv19 I don't know who was talking about avocados, but I never thought of W'shire sauce! Sometimes I put a little dijon mustard on it but not bc I find it bland ;)
@Goonergal you discovered Zabar's! Also you are on my time....
Well I failed the liquid lunch test. Said dil's mom made a mixed salad of veggies I can eat and told me about it eagerly, so I had a little of that and a spoon of that guacamole. 2 seltzers.
Supper was at a restaurant and very late. Salmon with asparagus. Not as good as I'd hoped... someplace else tomorrow night no doubt!
Hope all are sleeping well zzzzzz

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've looked at the Thermomix, and of course it's an impressive bit of kot, but then, so is the price.

I wouldn't "drive" the manual pressure cooker my OH used for eons, but I am confident with the IP (probably says more of m then the gizmo). I actually bought it when the slow cooker developed a through-and-through crack, and decided I'd buy a multi-cooker of some sort. The stainless steel inner pot was one of my imperatives, which cut down the options, and in the end the IP won. It is now used to the extent it lives out on the prep bench.

Yes the Thermo Mix is a big investment - my mother lives in France and obtained hers at some reduced price by hosting a demo by a Thermo Mix agent - who knew that they also exist in the Matrix.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all, how I have missed being here! Thanks to all who reached out to me Mom was taking all my energy, and I was eating too much to get public with. But I'm on vacation for a few days and can come play.
@maglil55 the flavor of roasted radish salad tastes better than potato salad in my mind. Go for it!
Have to start fresh here with eating habits.
Bfast NE1 1/2 avocado w/ yellow(ick) mustard, double dippin' dunnies, DWS&C in a lovely old café au lait bowl with roosters and flowers from, as painted on the bottom, Perusia, Italy; 2 (or more, I've been bad) 90% choc squares
Lunch is fully intended to be liquid, but I will have to fight the hm guacamole on cheese slices. How can you say no to your dil's mom's excellent guac, I ask you!?
Supper nobody knows. I've never vacationed with DS in-laws before. Hopefully seafood.
Lovely lovely weather here on Cape Cod. I just missed seeing @Goonergal near my hometown, waaahhhh. Lots and lots of walking, more sun on arms and legs than I've had in years, osprey hunting over the water, all very very well with the world.
782 posts behind. Yikes!
View attachment 34047

@zauberflote I’m so glad you’ve come out to play again, you’ve been really missed round here. Glad you are able to relax a bit now and hope your mum is managing.
The photo is gorgeous and I’m so envious of you watching ospreys over the water. I’ve seen them once in the Lake District where they have a big conservation project going on - magnificent birds.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking about what someone (and I can’t remember who it was) said about wanting to like avocado because it’s good food but finding it bland. Have you tried having half an avocado (or maybe a whole one of those little things) with Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce on it? Very good.
It was me...its more the slimy texture I dont like. I buy pack of 3 small ones and they just sit and sit in the fridge. I think I just need to face up up to it just isnt for me. I tried but avocados and cream are out!