Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

We have recently had a couple of news articles and threads about the genetic predisposition towards T2.
Here is one which mentions that around 300 different gene expressions can affect the likelihood of getting T2.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/the-palette-of-type-2-diabetes.165635/#post-2083424
So imagine my interest when an email popped into my inbox this morning from 23andme. This is a genetic testing organisation. I paid for their test last year, to assess my genetic risks of developing Alzheimers, since it runs in the family (thankfully I do not have a high risk, according to the test results).

Anyway, today I was sent some new updates on genetic risks of a few things including type 2 diabetes, and look - I think the graphics speak for themselves!

Now, considering that I also have PCOS and a prolactinoma, both of which increase my odds of T2, and which I do not think are genetic (but I may be wrong), I think that to be the grand age of 52 and still be keeping my blood glucose at below pre diabetic levels (using LCHF) is... well, I'm chuffed to say the least. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Concordjan

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think that to be the grand age of 52 and still be keeping my blood glucose at below pre diabetic levels is... well, I'm chuffed to say the least.

But you're very low carb aren't you? I'm guessing that if you had anything approximating a "normal" (according to dietitians :)) diet you'd be T2 and medicated to the hilt?

Congrats on defeating/defying the genetically stacked deck...

Fascinating that you can do that test. My dad is T2 so it might be worth my while getting one done.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But you're very low carb aren't you? I'm guessing that if you had anything approximating a "normal" (according to dietitians :)) diet you'd be T2 and medicated to the hilt?

Congrats on defeating/defying the genetically stacked deck...

Fascinating that you can do that test. My dad is T2 so it might be worth my while getting one done.

Oh yes, I have been low carbing for years - even before I was identified as pre-diabetic, which was around 2000 or 2001, I think.
Can't imagine where my health would be if I wasn't LCHFing.

Have to warn you, the test isn't cheap. I think I paid £99 on a special offer just before Xmas.
There are other companies offering a similar service, which is a combo of ancestry and health reports.
But I considered it a useful investment, considering the Alzheimer's family history. Also glaucoma, and a few other things.
Really didn't expect the additional service of updated reports popping into my inbox, so was delighted with this one appearing today.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Genetics are fascinating aren't they and I have always felt they are the primary factor in why some people get these conditions and others don't, even whilst adopting similar lifestyles. I am not saying we should say 'oh well then, nothing we can do' because I also think there is plenty we can do to minimise or stave off the impact of such genetics. I had a cholesterol one done recently and it came back with markers that said my cholesterol genes meant my cholesterol would be higher than an 'average persons' no matter what I ate or did. That comforted me in some ways as I was fed up being told by the Doctor to eat fewer eggs (I know!) and cheese (even though I hardly ate any) etc. My levels were HDL 2.5, trigs 0.5, LDL around 4.5. As far as I am concerned those levels along with my genes tell me MY body is doing normal stuff for me and I won't force it to do otherwise by taking tablets.

One more thing though, I wonder whether we will get to the stage where we will all end up being discriminated against (Insurance etc) when we receive info that we are genetically predisposed towards certain conditions? Even following my tests, there was information on the leaflet about certain disclosures.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About a year ago I was asked to participate in the DARE diabetes research project. Basically it was building a database of diabetics, blood sample, weight, age, family history, symptoms, that sort of thing. The database would be available to the multiple research groups trying to establish a link between genetics and diabetes. Unless there has been a major breakthrough in the meantime I am surprised an ancestry company has the answers.

Reactions: Anniya84

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I agree @KK123, the leaking of someone's genetic test result to say a life insurance company, even an employment company, is a distinct risk.
Looked at another way a genetic test result, if decisive enough, may help someone to take certain precautions with what employment they undertake and what to avoid.
And we have to remember that genetic tests are about probability, not certainty.
A thousand and one things from diet, to exposure to certain chemicals, adopting a certain lifestyle, what your mother ate whilst you were in the womb could all trigger an otherwise silent gene to fire off or prevent another one doing so.
It is still a gamble and might explain why a family member develops a particular illness that nobody in the family has ever suffered from, despite the so called reasurances of a genetic testing.

Reactions: JohnH2019 and KK123

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Genetics versus epigenetics. Just because we have certain genetic markers does not mean they have been turned on. That is where the low carb (or what was a few generations ago = normal carb), healthy fat, moderate protein lifestyle really helps avoid turning on those markers. Or, and I have not read any reports on this, turned those markers back off by following a healthy lifestyle.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Im sorry, this is none of my business but why are we believing a single word of this DNA test for profit thing? Have you read some of the reviews? We dont believe a word the government says but believe these people? I dont get it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi All,

We have recently had a couple of news articles and threads about the genetic predisposition towards T2.
Here is one which mentions that around 300 different gene expressions can affect the likelihood of getting T2.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/the-palette-of-type-2-diabetes.165635/#post-2083424
So imagine my interest when an email popped into my inbox this morning from 23andme. This is a genetic testing organisation. I paid for their test last year, to assess my genetic risks of developing Alzheimers, since it runs in the family (thankfully I do not have a high risk, according to the test results).

Anyway, today I was sent some new updates on genetic risks of a few things including type 2 diabetes, and look - I think the graphics speak for themselves!

Now, considering that I also have PCOS and a prolactinoma, both of which increase my odds of T2, and which I do not think are genetic (but I may be wrong), I think that to be the grand age of 52 and still be keeping my blood glucose at below pre diabetic levels (using LCHF) is... well, I'm chuffed to say the least. :D
I've only recently noticed my high prolactin and not yet disgust with my endocrologist. However like PCOS (does respond positively to weight loss around the middle) I'm eager to see whether my high prolactin levels will reduce. I understand slim people suffer with the same hormonal interference.
I would say hormonal disturbances influence insulin and the liver enzymes. Chemically. Whether due to genes I've come to the conclusion too many genes influence type2 diabetes. Genes which we cannot stop, just manage.

Reactions: lucylocket61