What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Viv19

It was me...its more the slimy texture I dont like. I buy pack of 3 small ones and they just sit and sit in the fridge. I think I just need to face up up to it just isnt for me. I tried but avocados and cream are out!

I love them but stopped buying them because they never ripened well- they were either solid until they went rotten, or, if I bought an expensive ‘ready to eat’ one it may have been ready to eat but also had lots of bruises to cut out. Sort of puts you off.
The most delicious ones I ever ate came from Trinidad. Huge, ripe without being too soggy. Half a one with Lea and Perrins eaten straight from the skin with a teaspoon was enough for a whole meal!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was me...its more the slimy texture I dont like. I buy pack of 3 small ones and they just sit and sit in the fridge. I think I just need to face up up to it just isnt for me. I tried but avocados and cream are out!

Avocado is O-K in my world. I'd never join a queue to buy one, and usually walk on past in the shops, but I have tried using the odd one as a carrier for flavourings, almost like flavouring a mayonnaise - the avo being the "mayo". Loads of garlic, maybe some chilli.

I keep looking at the concept of splittling an Avo, cracking an egg into the seed well, wrapping the whole thing in bacon, and baking it. It looks great, but somehow it just doesn't happen.

Otherwise there are all the more Avos for those who love them. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal Holiday sounds thoroughly enthralling and well deserved. I think the Libre will end up as how I play this - hoping cost comes down as there is no hurry. @PenguinMum @Viv19 and anyone else iffy about avocados it is all about personal taste I know. Personally, I always incorporate them in something else such as a salad with plenty of other tastes and vinaigrette or my gloop - egg mayo, mackerel and cheese. Not a big fan of many ways of eating fat but avo works for me. @DCUKMod the avo, egg, bacon idea is great for me but as we have very large eggs we need a monster avo and bacon is high on my use very sparingly list - way too salty. Folks got any ideas for alternatives?

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@zauberflote I’m so glad you’ve come out to play again, you’ve been really missed round here. Glad you are able to relax a bit now and hope your mum is managing.
The photo is gorgeous and I’m so envious of you watching ospreys over the water. I’ve seen them once in the Lake District where they have a big conservation project going on - magnificent birds.
@zauberflote Thank you for your kind words, MrSlim is recovering slowly, to my great relief and is beginning to resemble his name. He has not been eating much.
Love the photo, wishing you and you family well.
Am sad that I don't have so much time for this site. Maybe in a week or two.

Reactions: zauberflote

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The other thing I discovered at Rick Steins on holiday is lovely English watercress can be wilted down like spinach and has more flavour. But you all probably knew this!

No, I never knew that - but what a good idea. I love finding different ways of cooking ordinary veg that doesn't involve me attempting to be a domestic goddess.

I've got to try roasting radishes.

Avocadoes have been off my menu for a while - no matter what I do with them they are either rock hard or brown and slimey. My favourite way of eating them is roughly mashed with Tabasco, lime juice and a scrunch of sea salt.

Today....

Breakfast: the usual and very boring bacon and eggs

Lunch: 10 cal jelly

Dinner: roast pork belly (until slightly crispy) with sugar free sweet chilli dipping sauce followed by any ripe strawberries I can find in the garden

Drinks: black decaff coffee, still water

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My favourite brunch when out is poached eggs on wilted spinach with mushrooms and I think avocado would be a good addition. The Cosy Club does this type of food brilliantly.
Sounds like a nice treat - had to google Cosy Club. Nearest one is and still will be Norwich. I was thinking more of something other than bacon to warp around the egg in an avo combo. Maybe thin slices of courgette or similar?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know our tastes change as we age but I have this notion that avos tasted nicer and werent so soapy twenty years ago. Maybe there are more tasty ones in exotic climes.

We used to eat huge ones in Kenya - a few in the garden. Smashing just cut in half and spooned out with generous helpings of sea salt, maybe a squeeze of lime.

I do like Gaza style with sumac. We had it last night - recipe if you want is here but I don’t bash it up very much:
https://www.marthastewart.com/1536358/gazan-smashed-avocados

nige1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Beans and Mushrooms
Toast, apple,banana and a pear ( oh and a small packet of french fries crisps ) :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are so many in all the forests, in Finland too (where they lived for a couple of years before.). They sell funny sort of scoop things that you run through the bush and it scrapes the berries off, even cute ones for children to pick their berries. At the same time as the blueberries you can find early chanterelles (OH’s favourite occupation- picking them and especially eating them.) Then come the lingonberries. Fabulous bounty of the forests.
Her pony thinks he’s a dog - he’s very people orientated.
I was thinking of buying some blueberry bushes. I thought of having them in pots, I eat so many. Perhaps newer strains might be easier to grow.
I've got 2 blueberry bushes in the garden. Biggest 'crop' has been 24 so far but as least they are sweet and numbers are increasing each year.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal those chocolates and sorbet look wonderful. Noticed you’ve popped into 5 Guys too!
I’m posting early today as my granddaughters are coming round after school to meet Dennis, should be a fun evening if we can keep those needle sharp teeth occupied with toys rather than feet.
This morning just CWC
NE1 scrambled eggs, 1 slice Emmental and wilted spinach.
NE2 will be fathead pizza, I’ve made the bases and the girls like adding their own toppings. Strawberries and cream for pud.
Ooh they’re here now - I’m off

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - enjoy your evening with Dennis and the grandkids making pizzas sounds like a wonderful evening ahead for you all.
@Goonergal looks like you are having an amazing time but your photos have made me want choc ice cream - I’ve got oppo in freezer so think will be on the menu tomorrow pud for today was made already
@PenguinMum love the watercress idea need to look out for some I love watercress so sure would like it stir fried.
I did the libre sensor’s max 30mins swimming today,on my 2 x a week early morning gym and swim session, plus 5 mins in sauna and steam room and it’s still behaving - it’s due to finishsometime on Thursday so may push it a bit longer that morning!
@maglil55 blueberries sound great I love picking my fruit from garden. @Chook like you I keep picking my ripe strawberries and raspberries are starting to look more promising. Libre seems happy thankfully with the strawberries so my portions are Increasing!
@SlimLizzy pleased mr slim slowly recovering
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch a few sardine fillets in olive oil with some celery, three lc seeded crispbreads and a small piece of Camembert followed by coffee and small piece of choc
Dinner Spanish omelette- I fried pancetta strips and chicken with sliced radishes and mushrooms and one tomato plus seasoning untilcooked then added eggs and later cheese - wow delicious I’d recommend the radish which I cooked from raw lovely flavour and texture , served with green salad and pudding was about 6 of my strawberries served with lemon mousse and spoon yoghurt and cream.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Toast, apple,banana and a pear ( oh and a small packet of french fries crisps ) :)

I'm suspecting you aren't following a low carb way of eating? :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea for B and Georgie Best. Lemon and ginger tea after mouldy old inadequates swimming lesson. More tea then NE1 (13.30 hrs) turkey breast, avocado and blue cheese salad sprinkled with chia seeds (return of an old fave). NE2 chicken thigh marinated for 36 hrs in h/m lc barbeque sauce ( another old fave makes a comeback) with roast veggies (radish, mushroom, beetroot and tomato) followed by a substantial chunk of cheddar. Simple, satisfactory and hopefully nutritious to some degree. It's a start. Have a good evening.