What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good evening fine peeps although 1.13 is technically good morning ... I digress I’ve had such an exciting day, I started a new testing machine. My reading just said Lo

huzzah I hear you cry
But my spreadsheet wants a number not a word ...

I didn’t read the garb as it’s the same one I always have with a shorter stabbed this time. So I set it up as per norm...

Reactions: gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Assuming lions don't have diabetes ...
65564796_10214503520038190_2063172761374687232_n-2-jpg.34075

Attachments

• 65564796_10214503520038190_2063172761374687232_n (2).jpg
    65564796_10214503520038190_2063172761374687232_n (2).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 215

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 34065 9.9 this morning

Dentist then, to hopefully sort out this sheared off tooth.

And here is a pic of the art work I did in garage yesterday. First time experimenting with string painting. These are the best of a bad bunch. It’s only my first attempt. I need to try again. I promised I would teach it at my art class on Thursday. They want to do a feather. I haven’t figured out yet how to do a feather...

>^..^<
Amazing!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Warning this posting will contain topics of an offensive nature to those of a sensitive nature and no tolerance of the absurd, please,please read no further, in fact do the sensible thing and block my postings on your news feed.

Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all have one foot on the ground.

An aggressive 9.6 slowly exited the meter snarled at me muttering expletives along with words like chicken sandwich at 1:45am.......I must get my meter looked at....by a psychiatrist.

I would like to thank all who wished me and me's well at yesterday's liver transplant review clinic ( I shall tag @ianpspurs ) I had the best results I have ever had in over 26 years of tests. People like to complain about the NHS but, I have nothing but praise.
Yes the advice given to diabetics appears to be wrong and the wrong people are giving that advice. I now just ignore these advice givers and when necessary explain in words of one syllable what I am doing and why I am ignoring what they say.

The wonderful thing about this web site and forum is the experiences posters are passing on to other diabetics.
Once again thanks folks.
Have a good day folks, I shall if Mrs J allows.
Such a wonderful post to read. So happy to hear about your excellent results

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But first I have to get something he said. He went out of the room and tore a sheet of paper off a pad. It has a grid of squares with a black dot in the middle. And is called an Amsler chart. If when I look at this, the grid lines are not straight, and are distorted, wavy, or broken, then I have to get straight back to the optometrist. Because this serious he said.

>^..^<

I am so sorry to hear about this. Did he mention macular degeneration, or central serous retinopathy? I was diagnosed with the latter 20+ years ago. Wavy lines, other objects sometimes looking sort of warped, and sometimes a black spot at the center of my vision if I look at something directly.

The optometrist who examined my eyes a couple of months ago said I had cataracts too, but she was trying to rush me into cataract surgery with an ophthalmologist who is somehow connected to her, so I'm going to wait for a second opinion.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Warning to those of a sensitive nature and also those who have no tolerance of the absurd, please, please do not read any further.

Another late posting from me, sometimes life just gets in the way and reading about pets is rather low on my priorities at the moment. It's good for members to share their health issues as we are all inflected by these dreadful diseases. Type 1 & 2. Mrs J is insisting that her idiot box is tuned to Wimbledon for the whole of the competition. Far be it from me to get in her way. If I did then I would also be suffering from the remote control stuffed where the sun don't shine.

That shouldn't be a problem as long as you set it to your preferred channel first.

Of course, then you might be sent off to Wimbledon to count the blades of grass ...

Just watch out for rabbit deposits!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That will be a wonderfully moving send off.
My nephew died at the Isle of Man TT race a few years ago and the Whiteknights Yorkshire Blood Bikes provided the cortège. The deafening last hurrah revving before they took his coffin from the church was such a powerful experience, I still can’t think of it without weeping buckets.
So sorry to hear about your nephew. What a tragedy.

Reactions: DJC3 and gennepher

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5,7 this morning.

Happy enough with that.

Staying at/working from home as I have to collect 24 hour urine and provide for more tests. Given how hot Cyprus gets I have been asked to keep this in the fridge! Better warn rest of the family to keep clear of the container.

Have a great day

Pavlos

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so sorry to hear about this. Did he mention macular degeneration, or central serous retinopathy? I was diagnosed with the latter 20+ years ago. Wavy lines, other objects sometimes looking sort of warped, and sometimes a black spot at the center of my vision if I look at something directly.

The optometrist who examined my eyes a couple of months ago said I had cataracts too, but she was trying to rush me into cataract surgery with an ophthalmologist who is somehow connected to her, so I'm going to wait for a second opinion.

@SaskiaKC He said there deterioration/damage to the back of the left eye, but he didn’t give it a name even though I asked him. He did mention cataracts beginning in the left eye.

But the cataracts were not there before the laser procedure. They have started since that.

I am learning a lot about eyes now from other people.

I am sorry about your eyes. That must be scary when you see those warped distortions.

Hugs

>^..^<

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fbg 8.9 despite all the ups and downs yesterday, and was it the ‘enforced’ since before midday yesterday (because of the tooth extraction) that brought the numbers down a bit?

Going to research stuff on eyes today. And see if taking specific eye vitamins can help at all.

Thank you for your kind words.

>^..^<

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear @gennepher

So sorry to read about your testing day.

I absolutely hate going to the dentist so that alone would be enough to make it a difficult day for me.

The news about your eyes must be a bit of a shock but at least it sounds like you are in good hands with this optometrist.

My mother had surgery in both her eyes for cataracts and says that they are one of the best things she ever did as she now no longer needs eye glasses of any kind. Should it ever get to that it seems that the surgery is extremely routine procedure.

Love the artwork by the way

Hope your already feeling better following tooth extraction.

Best regards

Pavlos
Just got back from dentist. Now have a numb mouth. I am minus a tooth. I have to wait for it to heal, and then in a couple of weeks go back to get a mould made so to have an extra tooth added to my falsies. So that to look forward to. But the painful pressure of that sheared off tooth has now gone.

Thank you for all your good wishes.

I also had an optician’s yearly appointment, which was just before I went to the Dentist, they are next door to each other. It was a different optometrist, a man I have never seen before, but he was very thorough and very informative.

It is still sinking in what he found and told me. The way he did the eye testing and completely different to how I have had it before. I found it it bewildering. It was completely different testing apparatus and screens.

He also did different eye examinations (or they were the same done in a different way?).

He explained the the surface of my left eye was damaged which was why it felt and was drier. So it was imperative I use all the eyedrops I need, even oftener than every hour if needed. But both eyes need frequent eye drops.

He also explained that I should be keeping the eye drops and ointments in the fridge, because the eye itself is like a hot plate (was his analogy) and especially with this hot weather the eyedrops have sizzled away almost immediately they touch the eye. If they are cold from the fridge, they last longer in the eye and are more soothing because they last longer.

Then he asked me if I knew I had damage at the back of my left eye. I said no. So he brought up photographs from 2016 to the present. Before 2016 my left eye was fine. But from 2016 onwards the damage was there and has got worse with each photograph. There was one black spot that got bigger, and now it has been joined by a second black spot. This is all in the left eye. When were you diagnosed with diabetes he asked? 2015 I told him. This is diabetes related, the optometrist told me.

I did have a bit of a problem reading his eye tests. Then he did something different. And shone an LED light on them. Instantly I can read them. You need LED desk lamps, and one by your bedside he tells me. And tells me how to position the lights for reading, writing, and painting. He tells me I can get them from Argos, (and my car car happens to be parked outside Argos, but they were out of stock).

He tells me I do have diabetic retinopathy in both eyes. But that could come and go. However, and this was the bombshell, you have the cataracts developing in your left eye, he told me. The eye hospital told me I didn’t have cataracts at all 3 months ago, I told him. You have now in your left eye, he said. We will keep a close eye on this.

But first I have to get something he said. He went out of the room and tore a sheet of paper off a pad. It has a grid of squares with a black dot in the middle. And is called an Amsler chart. If when I look at this, the grid lines are not straight, and are distorted, wavy, or broken, then I have to get straight back to the optometrist. Because this serious he said.

Do you have wraparound UV sunglasses, he asked. I said yes. So he told me I should always wear them, every time I went outside. I said I did when it was sunny, but he said, no you need to wear them all the time when you are outside.

I was reeling when I came out of the optometrist’s. I am lying on the bed in my potting shed feeing sad, and now nursing a bit of headache with the dentist’s injections. And trying to drink from a bottle of water squirting it to the back of my mouth. The dentist said no food today, and no liquids must touch or swill round the the tooth hole...

Not quite what I expected from today.

>^..^<

Viv19

Just got back from dentist. Now have a numb mouth. I am minus a tooth. I have to wait for it to heal, and then in a couple of weeks go back to get a mould made so to have an extra tooth added to my falsies. So that to look forward to. But the painful pressure of that sheared off tooth has now gone.

Thank you for all your good wishes.

I also had an optician’s yearly appointment, which was just before I went to the Dentist, they are next door to each other. It was a different optometrist, a man I have never seen before, but he was very thorough and very informative.

It is still sinking in what he found and told me. The way he did the eye testing and completely different to how I have had it before. I found it it bewildering. It was completely different testing apparatus and screens.

He also did different eye examinations (or they were the same done in a different way?).

He explained the the surface of my left eye was damaged which was why it felt and was drier. So it was imperative I use all the eyedrops I need, even oftener than every hour if needed. But both eyes need frequent eye drops.

He also explained that I should be keeping the eye drops and ointments in the fridge, because the eye itself is like a hot plate (was his analogy) and especially with this hot weather the eyedrops have sizzled away almost immediately they touch the eye. If they are cold from the fridge, they last longer in the eye and are more soothing because they last longer.

Then he asked me if I knew I had damage at the back of my left eye. I said no. So he brought up photographs from 2016 to the present. Before 2016 my left eye was fine. But from 2016 onwards the damage was there and has got worse with each photograph. There was one black spot that got bigger, and now it has been joined by a second black spot. This is all in the left eye. When were you diagnosed with diabetes he asked? 2015 I told him. This is diabetes related, the optometrist told me.

I did have a bit of a problem reading his eye tests. Then he did something different. And shone an LED light on them. Instantly I can read them. You need LED desk lamps, and one by your bedside he tells me. And tells me how to position the lights for reading, writing, and painting. He tells me I can get them from Argos, (and my car car happens to be parked outside Argos, but they were out of stock).

He tells me I do have diabetic retinopathy in both eyes. But that could come and go. However, and this was the bombshell, you have the cataracts developing in your left eye, he told me. The eye hospital told me I didn’t have cataracts at all 3 months ago, I told him. You have now in your left eye, he said. We will keep a close eye on this.

Do you have wraparound UV sunglasses, he asked. I said yes. So he told me I should always wear them, every time I went outside. I said I did when it was sunny, but he said, no you need to wear them all the time when you are outside.

I was reeling when I came out of the optometrist’s. I am lying on the bed in my potting shed feeing sad, and now nursing a bit of headache with the dentist’s injections. And trying to drink from a bottle of water squirting it to the back of my mouth. The dentist said no food today, and no liquids must touch or swill round the the tooth hole...

Not quite what I expected from today.

>^..^<

You really have had a day and a half haven’t you? The new optometrist sounds really on the ball. His news wasn’t all good but I believe that if you know exactly what’s happening then you have a chance to fight it. Forewarned is forearmed.
Hope you have a better day today and are able to eat. Big hug.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...a good sleep followed by a good cup of coffee equals a good start to the day...no driving today (nothing planned) so just a little work in the house & the dreaded paperwork to tackle...looks like a beautiful day...woke to a 6.6