Defatizing with Optislim by Patch

sugar2

Patch,

I am really impressed with your determination...and also the fact that you are not "weighing in" before Monday! I could possible stick to the diet, but staying away from the scales to "see how I was doing" would be too hard to resist!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's gonna be a test NOT to hop on the scales over the weekend. The weekend is going to be a BIG test for me - that's when I tend to graze more than eat at set times...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Patch, I find the best way to stop grazing/nibbling/snacking is to keep busy so try to fill your weekend with things to do, go out somewhere for the day and just take your lunch, that type of thing always worked for me
thumbsup.gif

Good luck :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You're right - I need to make plans for Sat and Sun! Maybe drag the missus out for a long walk...

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
If the optislim have too many carbs in for some, could one not do the same fasting regime but using the Atkins shakes with less carbs/sugars in them?

Jane

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Serena51 said:
If the optislim have too many carbs in for some, could one not do the same fasting regime but using the Atkins shakes with less carbs/sugars in them?

I doubt it. Optislim and Optifast are designed as meal replacement shakes and so are supposedly "nutritionally balanced" to provide 100% of the RDA many minerals and vitamins (whatever that means - I get the impression from Taubes et al, that most nutritional information is based on 'pseudo-science'.')

I doubt the Atkins shakes are designed to do that, they might be alright for replacing a meal or two, but not if they are going to make up the majority of your diet.

As usual, Phoenix does a better job of explaing here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22832&start=30#p208330

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Patch,

I think you are off the rails...

But i do take my hat off to you for determination.

It's quite interesting that already with the same sort of shakes your 1 and 2 hour readings seem to be getting lower?

Look foward to your weigh in.. probably not as much as you though.

put locks on your cupboards!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks ebony! There have been absolutely no side effects yet - I feel perfectly normal (well, y'know - as normal as ever...)

EXCEPT the side effect that you would expect from not eating any solid food...

Knowhatimean?

As weird as it seems, I'm treating my weigh in as a "treat". It'll be my motivation for being good over the weekend. Also - treating the weekly weigh in as a treat is a pretty good mental tool for me.

A "treat" in the past has always meant a "foodie" treat (usually a takeaway :oops: ). But making the treat actually weighing in seems to me working wonders for my motivation! The treat is weighing in, and the satisfaction (that usually comes from polishing off a curry :oops: )will be in seeing exactly HOW much weight I've lost.

ernie100

Go for it Patch....lets ee how we both do over the next weeks..........by the way mate I would strongly recommend the veg based additional carbs allowed..see my other post

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Day Four - Thursday 28th July

Breakfast:
1 Optislim Royal Chocolate Shake (8:15am)

Fasting BG:
8.4mmol/L (8:15am)

+1hr BG:
13.9mmol/L (9:15am)

+2hr BG: <Forgot to take my +2hr reading (again... :oops: )
?mmol/L (10:15am)

My +1hr morning readings are the ones that are giving me the most concern. Those are the ones I'll monitor closely, and it will be a good measure of success if they DO fall significantly.

I'm quite sure the reason for this is that my body is adjusting to having breakfast. I've never really eaten breakfast, so eating a 20g carb meal first thing in the morning is obviously going to knock me sideways! I'm hoping that after I've got the first week out of the way, my fasting BG and +1hr BG will have reduced significantly.

Lunch:
1 Optislim Caramel Shake (12pm)

Pre-meal BG:
8.3mmol/L (12pm)

+1hr BG:
11mmol/L (1pm)

+2hr BG:
9.9mmol/L (2pm)

It seems significant to me that my pre-meal (Lunch) BG readings are coming down in line with my fasting BG levels. If I can get them down into the non-diabetic range (I'll be aiming for 4-7mmol/L) I'll be very, very happy.

Dinner:
1 Chicken Oxo Drink (8pm)

Pre-meal BG: < Forgot to measure! :oops:
?mmol/L (8pm)

+1hr BG: < Forgot to measure! :oops:
?mmol/L (9pm)

+2hr BG:
8.6mmol/L (10pm)

I was pretty naughty at dinner time (usually 6pm). I didn't have any thing! Don't know if it was because I wasn't hungry, or because I couldn't face another Optislim Soup!

I was in one of those moods when food just isn't a concern. I was endulging in one of my hobbies (DJ'ing) after I got home from work (5pm), and before I knew it it was 8pm and I hadn't had anything. I quickly grabbed an Oxo cube in a mug of hot water, and drank it watching Rick Stein (**** you Rick, and your monkfish paella!) before visiting the outlaws.

I know some will say don't, but I've got no problem missing meals. If this calorie deficit thing is what's doing the trick, then surely missing meals will speed up the process!

Kenny

Patch, you're testing your BS a heck of a lot. You must look like a pin cushion.

Keep it going my man.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My 2 middle fingers on my left hand are definitely feeling it, mate! All in the name of science, though!!!

Kenny

I just re-read the original report from Newcastle. They did some kind of 'clamping' test, which apparently involves strapping in the subjects for two hours and intravenously administering both insulin and glucose. They know how much glucose to administer because they test their BS every 5-10 minutes. Must be like having your nails pulled out! Fingers like watering cans.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
How very interesting it's turning out to be!

Really does seem to be having some sort of effect on your post-meal readings and only after a short while too!

Will be very interesting on weigh day.

Are you also measuring yourself inch wise? aswell as weigh ins?

I reckon you should blog this so all your readings day to day are together so you can see a fuller picture without comments in between.

Keep on going. I read earlier your taking some supplements, are you supplementing other Vits and mins too alongside those?

humph

Hi Patch,

Stick with it, from your numbers you are starting to see changes. I wouldn't worry about the morning BG readings, see where they are after 2 weeks. I know the study said numbers had returned to non diabetic levels after a week, but it may take longer. I certainly think I will.

I have been diabetic longer, so possibly more fat to shift from my liver/pancreas. I am seeing an improvement, my levels are returning to fasting levels much faster . I have seem numbers down to 9, these were unknown for a while even with medication, so at a week and a half and with no medication, I am more than happy. I lost 8 pounds in the first week, have tested my ketone levels a couple of time and it has me at a moderate level, I only have reagent strips, might get some test strips and get a better view. I suspect I will be looking at similar weight loss in the second week, I weight myself sunday.

I am on two optifast shakes and one optislim soup, I do now have a few optifast soups. I don't really feel that hungry, even watch cooking programs. The big difference between optifast and optislim is the fibre levels, optislim sell fibre seperately. Maybe adding some fibre might help. The optifast shakes are not bad, though limited in flavours, I only have coffee at the moment.

Stick with it and good luck.

pianoman

Kenny said:
I just re-read the original report from Newcastle. They did some kind of 'clamping' test, which apparently involves strapping in the subjects for two hours and intravenously administering both insulin and glucose. They know how much glucose to administer because they test their BS every 5-10 minutes. Must be like having your nails pulled out! Fingers like watering cans.
I'm pretty sure the blood glucose was sampled directly from one of the canullae they had inserted for this test... not using finger sticks.

It's a shame sometimes we don't have access to this kind of testing equipment and have to rely on outward signs... still we should be cautions not to assume too much of what is going on inside our bodies.

minitata

I have a protein shake for my evening meal using Whey Isolate powder: Per 30g:
Energy: 118.0Kcal
Energy: 497.0kJ
Protein (dry basis): 24.6g
Protein (as-is): 23.6g
Fat: 2.1g
Carbohydrates: 1.8g
Calcium: 150.0mg
Cholesterol: 0.6mg
- the values are for 1 scoop and I use 2 with either a couple of hundred mls of skimmed milk if I use prunes or the juice in a tin of pineapple bits in juice. I also add cinnamon and flax seeds. This makes a good low carb meal - and you can add whatever amount of carbs as you want in the fruit. The prune one is especially nice - it goes pretty solid. I intend to try soaking the prunes in water tonight and using that instead of the milk.

MTT

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Well the first surprise of the Optislim thing for me is that my first shake didn't spike my blood at all...
Fasting BG 6.3 mmol/l
Post 2 mile run BG 6.0 mmol/l
One hour after shake BG 6.2 mmol/l
Two hour after shake BG 5.8 mmol/l

I fully expected 20g of carb to put me up to 8. I suppose that, in any objective view, that 60g of carbs per day is still "low carb".

Patch, how much water do you mix with your shakes? The 200ml they suggest makes a puny little drink.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Awesome news on your BG, BF.

I use roughly 300ml (I bought a 0.33L shaker in wilko's and fill it with a little gap at the top for shaking). It makes it more of a milk shake than a thick shake.

You should definitely leave it to stand for 5mins, then re shake, then leave to stand for 5mins before drinking it.

The only problem I've got with taking in 60g of carbs is that it's probably too high to get you into ketosis. But then, if ketosis DOESN'T burn fat from around your organs, who wants to go into ketosis?

I'm not in this to lose weight (although I'm sure it's happening!), I'm in it to lose fat from my organs to make them work properly again!

Plan for me is to get rid of the fat around my organs, then get back on strict Bernstein/Atkins, combined with resistance training to get down to my ideal personal weight of 14st. From a starting weight of 17st at 6'2" that should be doable, right???