Wasted insulin

Becca6510

Me again!

I’m due to start the pump in July and I have stacks of pre filled pen injections, both fiasp and Lantus. As I used to work in a pharmacy, I know that they can obviously not reuse this and it will be thrown away.

I am so saddened about the tragedy that began our friends over the pond that they are being charged obscene amounts for insulin and some have to purposefully limit their insulin to make it last a little longer. I’m guessing it’s a no no but I’m not entirely sure but is there any way I can ship my insulin to friends in America for them to use? Just seems so awful to throw away perfectly good insulin whilst others need it so much.

Thanks for reading and hope I can get some clarity on this

Becca
Xo

Reactions: Juicyj

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Extraordinary idea. I read it's nothing for an American to spend $2000 a month on insulin.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It might be troublesome to ship insulin due to temperature and weather, also getting it through customs. You’ll still need pens as backup incase your pump fails or when you are waiting for a replacement.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could ask around in your area if there’s any T1 diabetics that are willing to accept your pens.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You are a most thoughtful person, @Becca6510 !
You could try contacting Diabetes International to see what they advise.

D

Deleted Account

I don't know how many pens you have but with a pump you must have back up pens (in date) in case your pump fails.
And you need to take these away with you if you stay overnight. Because your pump could fail any time.
Unfortunately, this may mean your pens expire without being used. Either because they reach their best before date or because they have been out of the fridge for too long.

Reactions: SimonCrox

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Becca6510 I applaud you on your thoughtfulness, very caring post
Unfortunately it would be difficult top send your pens over to the States what with temperatures and customs!
As Kitedoc has mentioned, see if you can contact Diabetes International to see if they can assist in any way.
Also you will need to keep pens as back up, just in case your pump has a meltdown!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Becca - The FDA and other US authorities have very (and I mean VERY) strict controls on the carriage of medicaitons. I wouldn't, because packages are often confiscated, but not only that, on their journey, they are likely (as a package) be transported in the hold, so could freeze.

I seem to recall @Juicyj signposting folks to a charitable organisation why redistribute some diabetes supplies. I can't recall if that included insulin, but that might be a starting point.

(I won't go into the fact your meds have been dispensed for your use, so moving them on could be frowned upon.)

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have sent several parcels to this charity, the first after my sister died in a hypo and we had glucose meters, needles, lancets and all sorts to get rid of. (I used a different variety.) I would urge anyone with spare 'diabetic' supplies to send them to this organisation. They do valuable work.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
They are also very grateful for donations they receive as they understand the impact of giving medical supplies to those who really need it, particularly when so much is wasted, always good to check your fridge supplies to see if anything hasn't been used and is within 3 months expiry so you can send them.

Reactions: kitedoc

Doaky

I have just started the pump and you will still require a back up for insulin pump in case of failure or if you have to remove due to illness etc. You may therefore still require supply of pens and insulin. My hospital takes in unused insulin and sends off to other countries - I live near Edinburgh, UK

Reactions: Becca6510

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Me again!

I’m due to start the pump in July and I have stacks of pre filled pen injections, both fiasp and Lantus. As I used to work in a pharmacy, I know that they can obviously not reuse this and it will be thrown away.

I am so saddened about the tragedy that began our friends over the pond that they are being charged obscene amounts for insulin and some have to purposefully limit their insulin to make it last a little longer. I’m guessing it’s a no no but I’m not entirely sure but is there any way I can ship my insulin to friends in America for them to use? Just seems so awful to throw away perfectly good insulin whilst others need it so much.

Thanks for reading and hope I can get some clarity on this

Becca
Xo
Hi Becca, just use the pens to fill up the pump cartridges. Many of us do this - they are after all, just small vials of insulin.

Becca6510

Hi Becca, just use the pens to fill up the pump cartridges. Many of us do this - they are after all, just small vials of insulin.

I went to my pre pump appointment and said that many of you had said I need to keep some pens, however as I’m currently on fiasp and the pump will be novorapid she said I need to inject the novorapid using a syringe rather than the pens I already have! Seems wasteful but I’m just doing as she says as they’ve put me on a years trial with the pump:l

D

Deleted Account

I went to my pre pump appointment and said that many of you had said I need to keep some pens, however as I’m currently on fiasp and the pump will be novorapid she said I need to inject the novorapid using a syringe rather than the pens I already have! Seems wasteful but I’m just doing as she says as they’ve put me on a years trial with the pump:l
Why will you be pumping with NovoRapid?
I switched to Fiasp whilst on a pump and I am not the only Fiasp pumper.

As for injecting NovoRapid with a syringe, for me this is only a short term back up, if I am out for a few hours, I can inject my bolus when I eat and basal every 30 or 60 minutes.
But, if my pump fails in such a way that it needs to be replaced, you cannot use a fast acting insulin via syringes to replace your basal throughout the night. Hence, the need for pens - you need slow acting insulin.