What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel hungry much of the time - usually when I have had a little carbohydrate - it satisfies for a short while, then I feel hungry for the rest of the day. I try drinking to stop my stomach complaining, but it doesn't really work.

Today I had a breakfast of some left-over smoked fish and roasted veg with a couple of fried eggs on top. I figured that, if I started out with sufficient inside me, I would get on better through the day. Pity it was smoked cod, which I don't like and not the smoked haddock I had asked my son to get for me (he is vegan so doesn't understand the difference; fish is fish, isn't it?) It worked though.

Lunch was a small bowl of kale soup.

I didn't bother with dinner but should have done because by 9 pm I was hungry and looking for food. Tea didn't help and I ended up taking a piece of the cake I made for last Sunday which was left over. Don't dare to take a BS reading but will have to and, of course, because it was carb laden, I am still hungry.

Viv19

Lunch yesterday: Barbequed goat sausages, fried onions and salad.
Dinner: Pork chops, veggies, in a puddle of brown onion gravy.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar or sweeteners, water.

That’s interesting Tipetoo, goat sausages. Where do you find those, or do you make them?
I’ve only had goat curry- perhaps also satay (satay meat origins are not always clear).

D

Deleted member 308541

That’s interesting Tipetoo, goat sausages. Where do you find those, or do you make them?
I’ve only had goat curry- perhaps also satay (satay meat origins are not always clear).
A friend of ours has a goat farm, and I have a few goats that are mine there that I slaughter for meat. All done humanely and quick on his farm and cut up in his work area where there is a cutting bench, mincer and sausage machine.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Posting from a train yet again. This time from Hudson back to New York. Lovely day with an old Uni friend I haven’t seen in over 30 years.

@ianpspurs glad you’ve found some food to enjoy. Was thinking of you yesterday as I walked past the S**** bar in Manhattan.

@PenguinMum good luck with the A1C

@gennepher hope the toothache soon subsides

@DJC3 and @shelley262 the ice cream, sorbet and chocolates are indeed delicious

Food today has been a small bag of salted almonds and 2 bunless hot dogs on the train and a bunless cheeseburger with bacon and herb aioli with a side of a fried egg. The latter meal eaten at the oldest Inn in the US.

Train (originating in Montreal) has run out of all bar carby options so a bottle of water and glass of ice it is for the return journey.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I know our tastes change as we age but I have this notion that avos tasted nicer and werent so soapy twenty years ago. Maybe there are more tasty ones in exotic climes.

Soapy??? Mine taste like bacon if they are one day overripe. Good flavor for mashing. I love them but they MUST be just-so ripe. I have gotten really good at "timing" the ones I buy so that there are batches ripening at various stages, and a batch in the icebox all lined up in firing order.
But never a cooked one. Ick!!!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs see my comment about a one-day overripe avocado tasting like bacon...getting it to behave like bacon is another matter. Maybe there are low-sodium bacons? And your "simple, satisfactory, h. nutritious" is exactly how I look at my food!
Re boo-blerries-- my brother has had several bushes for several years, and each year he gets several more berries from each. I think his first harvest this year was a cup or so.
@Chook oh you poor thing in the allotment!
@gennepher how is your extraction feeling today? Did you get any sleep?
A too much food day. If I took a pic of the kitchen tables you'd see what I am up against. So I ate many times, LC foods, too large quantities. There was a cheese tray and watching the millennials play Mario Kart racing. Mostly my son, who clobbers the race every time.
Had walked 3 miles before bfast, and this evening there was anlther, 4 miles, with a stop at the cemetery where Mr ZF's parents are buried. We swept away the grass mowing debris and restored the straying stones, and added a micro bouquet of white clover blossoms. Tomorrow I will go prepared with some roses from the little rose patch along the wall of the swamp (aka wetlands).
I'm hiding my head in the sand, pretending that if I don't take BGs, they are not there. Not very smart but there it is.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm hiding my head in the sand, pretending that if I don't take BGs, they are not there. Not very smart but there it is.

I think that’s very wise, no point beating yourself up over something that’s done and can’t be undone. Accept it, forget it and move on.
That’s a lot of walking you did, which is bound to help too.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Soapy??? Mine taste like bacon if they are one day overripe. Good flavor for mashing. I love them but they MUST be just-so ripe. I have gotten really good at "timing" the ones I buy so that there are batches ripening at various stages, and a batch in the icebox all lined up in firing order.
But never a cooked one. Ick!!!
I have never tasted soap lol but its the slipperyness of the avos. Glad you are having nice time with your in laws family (hope I got that right). It was very touching about you tending the grave of Mr ZFs parents. I love the idea of white clover. Don't worry about testing you are on vacation, clearly eating carefully, just relax.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gentlemen keffir fermenters; how much are you making at a time, and how do you store your grains if having a pause?

Has anyone tried freezing or dehydrating them, and reviving later?

My life seems to be governed by growing bobblyclumps.

Current batches are 50g grains and 500ml milk. I throw out the whey.
If we are away overnight then I put that day’s preparation in the fridge as soon as ready and take it out on return - it’s usually fermented the next day.
Longest away was for 18 days when I tipped my grains into a fresh 2l bottle of milk and stored in the fridge - on return I threw the milk away, put grains into fresh milk - took them a day or so to produce a nice thick yoghurt texture when separating the curds from the whey.

Once, my sister in law, who was looking after our house, thought that the “milk” in the fridge would go off so poured it down the sink. I had to start again - no frozen reserves - I was kindly supplied with my current grains by @Chook and they produce a very thick and creamy product.

I have given some away - not yet frozen any but I will do once I have a few more grains.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Late out last night.
Morning routine is just about always - small glass of turmeric tea (made from turmeric root, ginger, black pepper and chaga) followed by a tablespoon cider apple vinegar in a bit of water, then tea, then koffy.

1100: 3 egg omelette with cheese.

Dinner, out at friends: some antipasti. Chicken with celeriac mash, cauliflower and broccoli cheese. Berries and cream.
Too much really, never mind.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
02-07-19;
So called Most important meal of the day. Nut granola and about 40ml Semi skimmed milk, 2x tea with the same milk. Was not motivated enough to make more food and not hungry either,so that was it for breakfast.
lunch ws salad with a hard boiled egg and can of sardines for me, beans on toast for MrSlim.
Dinner, a sort of fish pie, fish fillets in the bottom fried onions and yellow peppers then courgette slices. added a layer of potato gratin from a tin and sprinkled with ertatz parmesan, came out surprisingly tasty, but "sauce" created from the veg juices was a bit runny.
something along the same lines could probably be made without the potato layer, just some grated cheese on top of courgette slices.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yawn!! I've had a very broken night's sleep with a poorly dog (who is now acting like he hasn't kept me awake most of the night). It has definitely proved to me how stress and/or lack of sleep push BG up - mine was an appalling 9.6 this morning (its usually about 6.3 to 6.5 including DP)

Today...

Breakfast: bacon and eggs (cooked by Mr C and very hard to get down)

Lunch: 10 cal jelly

Dinner: lamb, aubergine and halloumi skewers

Drinks: the usual black decaff coffee and still spring water

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Evening all. Posting from a train yet again. This time from Hudson back to New York. Lovely day with an old Uni friend I haven’t seen in over 30 years.

@ianpspurs glad you’ve found some food to enjoy. Was thinking of you yesterday as I walked past the S**** bar in Manhattan.

@PenguinMum good luck with the A1C

@gennepher hope the toothache soon subsides

@DJC3 and @shelley262 the ice cream, sorbet and chocolates are indeed delicious

Food today has been a small bag of salted almonds and 2 bunless hot dogs on the train and a bunless cheeseburger with bacon and herb aioli with a side of a fried egg. The latter meal eaten at the oldest Inn in the US.

Train (originating in Montreal) has run out of all bar carby options so a bottle of water and glass of ice it is for the return journey.

It sounds like a fab holiday and well done on keeping on with your way of eating in the face of so much temptation. :)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
03-07-19
nut granola with yoghurt, (we are out of milk again) just enough left to make tea :smug:
2 eggs scrambled with butter and about half an avocado, one was unpleasantly stringy, two others had gone over.
@zauberflote Like a tiny bit of marmite with my avocado sometimes, just for a change.
Out into the garden, What a mess, moles have tunneled under the lettuce plants several uprooted, something is eating the new radish seedlings as fast as they appear and my lovely beef tomato plant has developed overnight a huge amount of mould. might have to pull out and burn the whole plant.:depressed:
On the other side, the mangetout had a good handful to pick, they are under threat of removal, want the space for runner beans.
Still trying to decide on dinner for tonight. Am so sick of always thinking about food. Its got even mre complicatd recently, now that MrSlim has started paying attention to his dietry needs. Of course neither of us has had any professional advice. Its all gleaned from the internet, and make it up as you go along. Just another daily pressure that is hitting me hard at the moment.
It appears as if his needs are almost exactly opposite to mine. In common we have :
Eat lots of vegetables, from a carefuly edited list, all low carb and/or low potassium. so potatoes, yes, small amount, tomatoes same, but not in the same meal. Aaaargh!
Avoid bananas and a few other highly sugary and high potasium fruits
and that seems to be it.
He needs low protein, white carbs (wholemeal are bad for him), low dairy, low potassium. low salt.
Its a whole new ballgame. But no fun at all. So will shortly be off to the shops with no clear idea what we need.
Edited to add: which might be a good thing, as often they don't have the items on my list. Leaving me wandering around looking for suitable substitutes.
His shoulder problem is slowly resolving itself. He is now pottering about doing odd jobs. Danger of overdoing it is high.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal thanks for good wishes. You seem to be having a fab time and I too clocked that chocolate gelato/sorbet combo. That seems like a serious chocolate fest, looked amazing!

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
02-07-19;

Dinner, a sort of fish pie, fish fillets in the bottom fried onions and yellow peppers then courgette slices. added a layer of potato gratin from a tin and sprinkled with ertatz parmesan, came out surprisingly tasty, but "sauce" created from the veg juices was a bit runny.
something along the same lines could probably be made without the potato layer, just some grated cheese on top of courgette slices.
@SlimLizzy that is very close to a summer casserole I used to make half a million years ago-- zucchini, onions, parmesan, and couscous, building up layers. The couscous was a latecomer to plain zucchini casserole like Mom made, to soak up the juices. I'd use flax now but Mr ZF would turn up his nose....

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Chook you poor thing. I'm sorry about the dog, I hope it's improving!
@SlimLizzy that is a huge load you are carrying. I hope things settle down very soon, you deserve some peacefulness.
NE1 1/2 avocado, finally a ripe one! Double dippin' dunnies, DWS&LOC (lots o' cream)
Hopefully my intended ritual "shop the whole town" trip will allow a lunch of DWH&H and seltzer
NE3 who knows... no plans at all yet