Importance of filling in profile information fields fully.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am getting frustrated at having to start nearly every conversation with a newbie by asking what type they are, and what meds they are on, before i can help answer their questions or offer general advice. Its happening more and more often. Is there a glitch with what those on mobile devices can see at registration or something?

Its taking so much effort to have to establish this each time. Please can something be done about this asap? I know this has been asked before. How can it get escalated so the ones who can make registration changes are noticed of the importance of this?

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personal details can be added using Chrome on an Android phone but I don't think it is possible using the app. If that can't be changed then the app should direct you to use a browser to register. Actually I tried the app and it seemed pointless so maybe the solution is to not provide the app.

D

Deleted member 308541

I concur that you can fill in all of your personal details in Chrome on a Android phone / tablet / pc / chromebook.

The forum app is a waste of 0 and 1's... :meh:

Reactions: JohnEGreen

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I don't agree.....you cannot and should not force people to divulge any information they are not happy giving.......thankfully we don't live in a despotic state where you have to do so.......yet.......and if I were a newbie now and I had to fill in stuff I wasn't happy giving to people I don't know.......... I'd walk away.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I don't agree.....you cannot and should not force people to divulge any information they are not happy giving.......thankfully we don't live in a despotic state where you have to do so.......yet.......and if I were a newbie now and I had to fill in stuff I wasn't happy giving to people I don't know.......... I'd walk away.
If you have a completely anonymous name then all your info is still private though? if you come to a forum seeking health advice then context is all important.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I tend to bend in the breeze on this one. If you provide the info, fine. If you don't, people other than me can look after it ... if they're interested.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to bend in the breeze on this one. If you provide the info, fine. If you don't, people other than me can look after it ... if they're interested.
What does that mean?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't, people other than me can look after it ... if they're interested.
???? sorry, i cant make sense of this. If the info isnt provided, we cant look it up or address the concerns of the poster properly. Its essential info for most help, not optional.

for example, telling a t2 on insulin to cut carbs, or giving t1 advice to a t2. Its dangerous to not know this info.

Reactions: porl69
M

Member496333

My interpretation of @Mike D was that if the information isn’t readily available then he won’t ask for it and won’t offer help or advice? Bending in the breeze meaning nonplussed, or on the fence.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My interpretation of @Mike D was that if the information isn’t readily available then he won’t ask for it and won’t offer help or advice? Bending in the breeze meaning nonplussed, or on the fence.
The poster seem not know that we need the information, or how diet affects different medications for diabetes, or different types.

M

Member496333

The poster seem not know that we need the information, or how diet affects different medications for diabetes, or different types.

Sure. I don’t disagree. Just saying that’s how I interpreted the post in question.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have a completely anonymous name then all your info is still private though? if you come to a forum seeking health advice then context is all important.
In the newbies defence though, I think most of us would have been clueless about all the types of diabetes that exist when we were first diagnosed... I didn't even know there was a type 1 and 2 until a few months ago when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I just thought there was diabetes. Let alone all the other fancy ones!
I guess on registering you might see the list to chose from but as a newbie, you wouldn't realise how different the treatment or advice should be for the different types.

I mean, hasn't the medical industry still got it wrong in the way they give so much insulin to Type 2s? Or that Type 1s believe they can eat whatever they want because they are insulin sensitive but may not realise they could develop insulin resistance like any of us who eat enough processed carbs?

The OP reminds me of my old German lecturer at university who'd been teaching for so many years that she would get mad if the first year students made clumsy grammatical errors (and they all do at the start because that's the normal process of learning.)
It's also like getting mad at your 2yo for playing with his porridge when he's not had his hands in mud or play dough for a week. It's just part of the process.
If you don't have the patience to work with the beginners, it's time to take the advanced classes for a while and let others work with the newbies.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Cocosilk ........well said.......especially the last sentence "If you don't have the patience to work with the beginners, it's time to take the advanced classes for a while and let others work with the newbies."

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
@Cocosilk ........well said.......especially the last sentence "If you don't have the patience to work with the beginners, it's time to take the advanced classes for a while and let others work with the newbies."

I was an English (as a second language) teacher in my past life so the analogy comes from real life experience. I remember how frustrating and slow the pace was working with the beginners who could barely speak a word of English. It was almost harder than working with the advanced levels, and similar to how hard it is to stay home with babies for years rather than work and have mental stimulation and more social contact and conversation with other adults. The struggle is real.. ha ha.. but someone's gotta do it!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the newbies defence though, I think most of us would have been clueless about all the types of diabetes that exist when we were first diagnosed... I didn't even know there was a type 1 and 2 until a few months ago when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I just thought there was diabetes. Let alone all the other fancy ones!
I guess on registering you might see the list to chose from but as a newbie, you wouldn't realise how different the treatment or advice should be for the different types.
Maybe there should be a "Don't know" option.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen some newbies have trouble navigating this site too because they are not as computer literate as we all expect people to be. They have to be forgiven.

Reactions: Struma

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the point....they don't know they are newbies............apart from which they probably haven't even got a proper diagnosis let alone a results print out and they don't know they are important till someone tells them and asks those frustrating questions.