Newly diagnosed type 1

SL1975

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 6 weeks ago after usual symptoms of drinking a lot, loss of weight etc. Since diagnosis I have been given excellent support from my diabetic team,which is great. I started off taking 14 units of lantus in the am and 2 units of novo rapid with every meal, which has reduced each week, due to lots of hypos / migraines. I am finding that I need to reduce my doses every week as I am very active and am now only taking 4 units of lantus a day and no novo rapid, my levels usually sit between 5 and 6 after meals and in the morning between 5 and 7 on waking. I’m still finding that I suffer from low levels through the day depending on the amount of activity that I do even with reduced levels of lantus, this is affecting driving etc and my work. My diabetic nurse has said that I am having a very strong honeymoon period and am very sensitive to insulin - am looking for advice from others who have experienced this please. I should add that I have seen a dietician and she is happy with my intake.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
As you may know @SL1975, we cannot give actual nedical advice or opinion on the forum, but it sounds like you are finding that physical activity really contribures to insulin sensitivity and that is not unexpected in rhe honeymoon phase.
Just so you are aware you may wish to read the following article and discuss with your nurse if you wish: diabettech.com - Lantus: Lethal or Saviour?
Best Wishes on your brilliant run so far !

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SL1975 . Welcome to the forum.
It does seem that you are having a significant honeymoon period. Good news is, it won last forever and when it ends things will become far more stable and predictable ( he says with wry smile ).
As you are seeing your pancreas is now having a second breath and lease of life all because you’re giving it a helping hand with injected insulin.
Lowering or even stopping insulin is one option, but take care as in time your pancreas will start to fail and you need to be aware when this starts to happen.
Another option is to have a light snack/ a few carbs to stop you dropping low. As you say your are very active then something like a small banana in between meals wouldn’t go a miss. It’s all trial and error and will change overtime.
There lots of ways of controlling diabetes with varying types of diets matched to insulin injected.
As you are newly diagnosed I would try to keep things simple for now and go for the lower insulin and a little something between meals if needed.
Nice to have a new T1 here with us.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SL1975 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Things should settle once the honeymoon is over. I agree with @therower 's comment of keeping things simple.

Sounds like you have a great diabetic team. Value their help till you adjust to the diabetes & become accustomed.
There will be loads of questions on the journey. Feel free to ask!

SL1975

Advice please - I am looking for info on others experiences if possible - I was diagnosed 3 months ago and for the past month have been having hypos every day. I’ve spoken to my team this week and they have suggested that I stop taking insulin and monitor my sugars regularly to see what happens....am looking to see if anyone else has any experience of this?

Reactions: porl69

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Advice please - I am looking for info on others experiences if possible - I was diagnosed 3 months ago and for the past month have been having hypos every day. I’ve spoken to my team this week and they have suggested that I stop taking insulin and monitor my sugars regularly to see what happens....am looking to see if anyone else has any experience of this?

Are there any patterns to the hypo's? Time of day, time after eating etc?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SL1975 a few weeks after diagnosis i was down to about 4 units lantus and was taking novorapid in 0.5 units for meals and none for exercising.

2 years on and my dosages are higher but I still take very little if I'm exercising. It's trial and error what works and your team should help.

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SL1975

I had exactly the same experience as yourself, I even queried with the consultants if I was even diabetic!! (Many occasions).

not sure where you are, but I went onto libre pretty much as soon as I could, this really helped me check what was going on and see the trends on which way my sugars where going.

As to exercise, I had a bad time of it and rarely run or anything after diagnosis for fear of the hypos I knew would come! It took time to experiment, but I have recently completed a half marathon and regularly run 10k - I just ensure I have no insulin on board. If I know I have a big run I cut back my long acting the night before/morning of the run.

Good luck on this learning journey!!

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm a few months in to diagnosis. Gone down to 4 units of lantus and a few of novorapid at meals.

I'll be honest. I'm not one for exercise so cant comment on that

I use the libre. Its excellent so I've not had any real hypos. Catch them before they happen
.I do have to snack in the day to make sure I dont go too low