Anyone else have pain with lowering of blood sugars?

tjanes

I’ve recently lowered my blood sugars pretty quick and significantly and since doing so i’ve had these horrible symptoms. Pain in my shins, burning, tingling and pins in needles in my feet and parts of my lower legs and squeezing feeling in my pinky toes and pinky fingers. These symptoms only started over the last week and are not constant but it seems to happen every evening for a few hours and it’s very uncomfortable. I’ve been a type 2 diabetic for almost 5 years and have had very high sugars at times and also great sugars at others. I’ve never had this pain before but this time with the lowering sugars the pain came on really quick. I’m thinking i have some nerve damage but I’m hoping it’s only early where I’m only feeling this for the first time in 5 years. I’m just curious why I’m getting the pain with low sugars and not high. Is this normal? Does anyone else notice this and did it get better with time? The pain almost makes me want to have higher sugars but i know that’s not good as well! Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: NaijaChick

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This can be a sign of healing, funnily enough. Damaged nerves sometimes mask pain, tingling and burning so as healing starts these are the first things we feel. It can take some time but normality can return. To be on the safe side if these symptoms persist see your health care team.

Well done on the improvement in your management. To help us to help you it would be good to know which medications if any you take. Welcome to the forum btw.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That can happen with fluctuating levels as your body becomes attuned to consistency.

Caprock94

Happened to me too. Diagnosed in April. Quickly lowered A1C from 8.5% to 6.3% in 6 weeks. Pain started then. No pain at diagnosis.

Caprock94

I’ve recently lowered my blood sugars pretty quick and significantly and since doing so i’ve had these horrible symptoms. Pain in my shins, burning, tingling and pins in needles in my feet and parts of my lower legs and squeezing feeling in my pinky toes and pinky fingers. These symptoms only started over the last week and are not constant but it seems to happen every evening for a few hours and it’s very uncomfortable. I’ve been a type 2 diabetic for almost 5 years and have had very high sugars at times and also great sugars at others. I’ve never had this pain before but this time with the lowering sugars the pain came on really quick. I’m thinking i have some nerve damage but I’m hoping it’s only early where I’m only feeling this for the first time in 5 years. I’m just curious why I’m getting the pain with low sugars and not high. Is this normal? Does anyone else notice this and did it get better with time? The pain almost makes me want to have higher sugars but i know that’s not good as well! Any advice would be appreciated.

Any better today? I played golf yesterday, and my fingers were stinging all evening. Not nearly as bad today. Can't figure it out.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In another thread someone likened the effect to sleeping on your arm which then goes "dead". When you move your arm and the blood flows it can be quite painful with pins and needles as the nerves start working. I don't know if the mechanism is exactly the same but it's a good analogy.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Caprock94

Doing any better with this?