Importance of filling in profile information fields fully.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair when I registered I wasn’t given option to fill info in. Think I did it on mobile app and that doesn’t let you do it.

Now when I look at profiles the info isn’t provided either.

May not be the posters fault
I agree, thats why I am asking for the registration process to be changed.

Reactions: lovinglife
D

Deleted member 308541

To be fair when I registered I wasn’t given option to fill info in. Think I did it on mobile app and that doesn’t let you do it.

See this post #3...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Ahhh, my comment was a reply to a member, who didn't understand another member's comment.
I don't have the App, but I know some member's have had problems with it.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It's everyone's prerogative to not tell for privacy reasons, and you don't need to know for every question asked what type someone is. I think most of it is not even realizing that it's helpful because they are so new and just don't know much about anything related to diabetes and what it all means. But for many questions it is really important. If they ask for help and it matters, it is best for everyone concerned that we know what type they are or if they are in limbo about knowing. So maybe everyone just keeps asking when needed.

And then if you don't even see when you sign up a place to even put what type you are, that's also a problem.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
exactly my point.
They dont know that the type they are, or how the meds they are on will influence our replies. So if the information is there at sign up, it bypasses several posts and responses to try to get the information. The information we need to help is right there at the beginning.

I still think you are trying to skip level 1 and 2 and want people to start at a higher level than they might be.

I agree it would be more efficient if everyone knew their type and medication but you're always going to get those who are waiting on a follow up appointment to find out more about their type or what meds they'll be on, or even those who've never been to see a doctor and are looking for clues about whether their symptoms could be diabetes. And often that is when people feel the most desperate and need the most support.
There's just no way to hurry them all up to fit neatly into the forum the way you are hoping.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
See this post #3...

Fair enough but when you are new you don’t know that the app is rubbish. You aren’t privy to the knowledge on the forum so you do what you get presented with.
I very rarely use my laptop!! Too much effort.
It isn’t until you are here and even then if the app doesn’t let you do it how are people supposed to do it.

DCUKMOD did mine because I had no way to do it.

No idea if it’s there or not there and like I said I can’t see the info in anyone’s profiles.

Reactions: Marie 2
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fair enough but when you are new you don’t know that the app is rubbish. You aren’t privy to the knowledge on the forum so you do what you get presented with.
I very rarely use my laptop!! Too much effort.
It isn’t until you are here and even then if the app doesn’t let you do it how are people supposed to do it.

DCUKMOD did mine because I had no way to do it.

No idea if it’s there or not there and like I said I can’t see the info in anyone’s profiles.

Looks like the site needs to reorganize/update their app system if it's that bad and many sites want member's 24/7, I don't do that, as there is more to life than having a screen stuck in front of my face, so I'm glad I'm don't have it.
Just my own personal preference.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly I am beginning to wonder why any of us bother to post at all. It's becoming so hard. Every thread seems to end up in argument for the sake of it. I thought the OP in this thread was entirely sensible and practical. It's just common sense. We are simply doing our best to help people, if we have to ask all the details all the time it really isn't worth the hassle.

If people don't want to share their details there's always Google.

We have asked before that there be a new category of 'don't know which type yet'. This hasn't been done.

I agree the app needs updating, if it doesn't ask the relevant questions when you sign up then it isn't good for purpose.

Going away to rest, really worn out by this place now.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Honestly I am beginning to wonder why any of us bother to post at all. It's becoming so hard. Every thread seems to end up in argument for the sake of it. I thought the OP in this thread was entirely sensible and practical. It's just common sense. We are simply doing our best to help people, if we have to ask all the details all the time it really isn't worth the hassle.

If people don't want to share their details there's always Google.

We have asked before that there be a new category of 'don't know which type yet'. This hasn't been done.

I agree the app needs updating, if it doesn't ask the relevant questions when you sign up then it isn't good for purpose.

Going away to rest, really worn out by this place now.

I concur with you

Reactions: zand

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It's frustrating. You give of your own free time and arguably, with dubious reward at times but it's all give and take. What I don't like at all is losing the real gems who drop the tools and go home

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had cause yesterday to use another forum that I belong to for the owners of a particular car. There is a similar problem of people not stating exactly the version and age of the car they have. So for example, posters are advised that the fault is with their automatic gearbox when they don't have one or to look for a software setting that doesn't exist. As here the posts use assumed names so providing information does not infringe privacy.

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I use my laptop I can see peoples profiles, if I use my phone ( most likely scenario) there are no profiles on view,
When I got diagnosed and logged into this site, dazed and shocked, I felt slightly intimidated to be told I have to fill in my profile details, I was also chastised a few months later when someone said I hadn't updated my profile. Luckily, water of a ducks back for me but I can understand someone getting upset and never posting again.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sharing information is a two way process - if someone's not prepared to provide relevant information how can they expect to receive relevant answers and appropriate help? Surely the information required on registration can be modified to assist users in providing this even if initially it might be "don't know yet" or "unsure". It should be easy enough to include words to the effect that if they require appropriate/help/advice, it's necessary for them to include basic information about their diabetes and medication, where known, to enable us to advise and help them correctly and safely. It's essential information about their condition and not "personal" data that will identify anyone who needs or prefers to remain anonymous.

Robbity

Reactions: lovinglife

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's frustrating. You give of your own free time and arguably, with dubious reward at times but it's all give and take. What I don't like at all is losing the real gems who drop the tools and go home

I agree Mike........We have lost too many gems along the road.........remember the Facebook fight when we stood side by side to uphold our right of choice, we lost that battle.........privacy wasn't the question then and it isn't now........for many if the only reason for offering help is for kudos then surely its the wrong reason and if frustrated then its time to stand aside.........no one who knows you would believe you're in that sect.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
for many if the only reason for offering help is for kudos then surely its the wrong reason
How insulting. Taking a break from the forum. That is a really, really upsetting thing to say about people on here trying to find better, quicker and safer ways of helping new ones.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I once suggested we get rid of the ' likes' system to stop people posting for kudos. Instead it was expanded...

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How insulting. Taking a break from the forum. That is a really, really upsetting thing to say about people on here trying to find better, quicker and safer ways of helping new ones.

You are obviously reading more into my reply to MikeD than was intended.........I was not intending any insult you or any other person on the forum at this time.........there was a time when a few people actively accrued kudos points for their own ends.

Reactions: zand