Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I've just done a quick review (on pump) and total daily can vary between 28 and 50 units of novorapid a day, this covers basal as well as bolus, what affects this is the amount of carbs I eat and exercise.

Are you just curious ?

D

Deleted Account

@bisalimo why do you ask?
This question has been asked a few times (you can search for it with the Search field in the top right of the page) and the answer usually comes down to
1. it depends ... on what I have eaten, what exercise I have done, whether I am ill, whether I am using a pump or injecting, ...
2. the right amount of insulin is the amount that YOU need to maintain your BG. There is no right or wrong amount.

bisalimo

I've just done a quick review (on pump) and total daily can vary between 28 and 50 units of novorapid a day, this covers basal as well as bolus, what affects this is the amount of carbs I eat and exercise.
What do you mean by "this covers basal as well as bolus"? Novorapid is bolus/prandial insulin

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yep, I agree with @Juicyj and @helensaramay it depends on how carb piggy I've been, how much gardening and if I've walked of been on the bike

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the moment I’m on 11 units of basal and although the fast acting varies it’s around 15 to 20 units per day. Re you’re pump question, pumps use one insulin which can be given as and when needed. Ie drip fed as background or more over a period of time to cope with food.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm LCHF and intermittent fasting so 2x3 units of long-acting and 4-6 units of fast acting. 10-12 total a day. I'm following Dr Bernstein. Please note, my body is still making some insulin, even if it's too little to clear ketones and my HOMA insulin sensitivity calculation is 500%. I'm sure this will change over time. I don't think you can find an average person.

Reactions: Sibyl
D

Deleted Account

most type 1 take, because they are not supposed to be insulin resistant, whereas type 2 not only depend on what they eat, exercise etc, but also on their insulin resistance and the remaining beta cells functioning
People with type 1 can become insulin resistant.
Having an autoimmune disease is not a protection against insulin resistance.

Reactions: Sibyl
D

Deleted Account

Novorapid is bolus/prandial insulin
NovoRapid is a fast acting insulin which can be used for bolus/prandial insulin doses.
An insulin pump uses fast acting insulin as basal by dripping it into your body throughout the day at different rates depending on what I am doing, time of day, etc.
This explains how an insulin pump works: https://www.endocrineweb.com/guides/insulin/insulin-pump-overview

@bisalimo can you explain why you are asking this question and something about yourself.
Your profile does not tell much so it is unclear whether you just have a passing interest in diabetes or whether you are concerned about your diabetes management.
The forum can help with the latter ... but only if we know.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you mean by "this covers basal as well as bolus"? Novorapid is bolus/prandial insulin
Pump users only use a fast acting insulin and get it set correct for different times of the day to tick them over so in a pump users case novorapid isn't just a bolus insulin

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I use 18 a day basal (Levemir) and between 10 and 40 bolus depending on food/exercise.

Basal changes infrequently - I don't pump but periodically I basal test (if my levels warrant it) and at those times it may change but never by much.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The simple as answer is “as many as they need” - personally I take 20-26u Novorapid in my pump per day. Are you T1 yourself? How much do you take?

Reactions: Knikki

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The human body’s pretty complex. It’s not just insulin that’s involved in ensuring there’s enough energy for cells to function and the various processes involved may, or may not, also be a factor in our many differences. https://opentextbc.ca/anatomyandphysiology/chapter/17-9-the-endocrine-pancreas/
I’ve had T1 for nearly 50 years, currently use 18 units of basal (Levemir), which changes according to the weather and how long the stuff’s been in the on, and from 10 to 20 units of Fiasp per day, which varies due to carbs eaten, exercise, any stress, no stress, foot on the floor, etc etc. Unlike @Knikki I was diagnosed when I as 20 and the profile can be different depending on age of diagnosis, or even the number of turncoats in the immune system.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Totally depends on the needs of the individual!
It ranges from day to day with me. I am a pump user and only use Fiasp and can go from 40 to 60 units a day depending on how much food I eat or exercise (yeah right lol) if I am unwell.......the list goes on

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Isn't it reversed? Long acting works for 24 hrs, while fast acting only for 5-8 hrs
I only wish it were reversed. I've only been on insulin for two weeks after turning up to A&E with DKA. I'm starting with small numbers of insulin units, following the instructions of my consultant because of my insulin sensitivity issues. I've been living without much insulin (very low c-peptide 0.126 nmol/l) for two years, hoping the diagnosis was wrong.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Isn't it reversed? Long acting works for 24 hrs, while fast acting only for 5-8 hrs

Depends on the person and what insulin is being used. Some of the longer basal insulins work for 36+hours. Fiasp only last for 2 1/2 hours with me

bisalimo

Err nope depending on which insulins you have some long term ones last up to 72 hours+ and the short acting can be 5 hours or less depending on the individual. Go look up the insulin profiles for various ones.
Err.... that's my point if long acting can last for 24-72 hrs why does s/he have to take twice a day?, and the short acting which works less than 5 hrs is taken once? go look up the previous post.