Wasted insulin

Becca6510

Why will you be pumping with NovoRapid?
I switched to Fiasp whilst on a pump and I am not the only Fiasp pumper.

As for injecting NovoRapid with a syringe, for me this is only a short term back up, if I am out for a few hours, I can inject my bolus when I eat and basal every 30 or 60 minutes.
But, if my pump fails in such a way that it needs to be replaced, you cannot use a fast acting insulin via syringes to replace your basal throughout the night. Hence, the need for pens - you need slow acting insulin.

I’m not sure why she changed me, I’m so new to pump o didn’t realise you could have fiasp. I dunno if every CCG are different in how they do things.. I totally agree and will be keeping some as I’m going away for the weekend whilst early in my pump and I’m scared it’s not going to work!! It’s so nerve wrecking doing something totally different than I have been for ten years !! I appreciate all the advice and help I can get!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@helensaramay - I suspect that the reason that @Becca6510 is being put on to NovoSlow instead of Fiasp in the pump is that quite a lot of hospitals have seen users with an abnormally high number of problems with Fiasp that don't appear with NovoSlow (which is reflected in the ONSET5 trial).

Becca, which hospital are you at for your pump? The team there seem a little less than with it in relation to what is required to live with a pump.

Reactions: LIAnneB

Becca6510

@helensaramay - I suspect that the reason that @Becca6510 is being put on to NovoSlow instead of Fiasp in the pump is that quite a lot of hospitals have seen users with an abnormally high number of problems with Fiasp that don't appear with NovoSlow (which is reflected in the ONSET5 trial).

Becca, which hospital are you at for your pump? The team there seem a little less than with it in relation to what is required to live with a pump.

I’m under Preston and Chorley CCG , all pump patients have to go to chorley which is annoying for me as I live a good motorway drive away! Small price to pay I suppose.

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I was switched from Novosluggish to Fiasp because I was going on the pump. I guess different teams have different views on Fiasp and Sluggish?

Becca6510

I was switched from Novosluggish to Fiasp because I was going on the pump. I guess different teams have different views on Fiasp and Sluggish?

So I’m guessing you think novorapid isn’t too effective for you? I know it lasts for 4 hours. Fiasp has been great, although I find that because it’s so fast acting it wears off super quick with sometimes added need to correct.

What was your experience with novo?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Fiasp is super quick acting for me, although it does take a bit longer to work now (after a year on it!) I still bolus just before I eat now wheras with NovoSluggish I used to have to pre bolus between 20 and 30 mins before i started eating. I find Fisap only last around 2 - 2 1/2 hours for me

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Be careful with Fiasp DIA. It has a tail as long as Novorapid, however, it works slightly differently, allowing more of the insulin to be absorbed upfront and having less in the tail:

FIASP-PK.jpg

The tail also last for about 7 hours, and you'll really notice it if you exercise before evening meal having bolused before lunch.

D

Deleted Account

My experience with Fiasp is similar to @porl69.
It starts working quicker than NovoRapid: my Libre showed NovoRapid took 40 minutes or more to start working which was causing problems as I am an impulsive eater and often have no clue what I'll be eating that far ahead.
Typically, I find most Fiasp is gone within two to two and a half hours. Or at least, there is less on board than with NovoRapid.
I can believe Fiasp has a tail as @tim2000s says but I always exercise before evening meal, often after a mid afternoon snack, and don't have any problems now I suspend my pump at the gym.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be careful with Fiasp DIA. It has a tail as long as Novorapid, however, it works slightly differently, allowing more of the insulin to be absorbed upfront and having less in the tail:

FIASP-PK.jpg

The tail also last for about 7 hours, and you'll really notice it if you exercise before evening meal having bolused before lunch.

Does that "you'll really notice it" also apply to Novorapid?

robertjone336

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Can i do the same thing for Dubai? anyone from Dubai that gives me answer.