What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher I dont know whether to laugh or cry. You made it sound like a comedy of errors but of course it wasnt. My friend did a birthday lunch for me today too but she carefully put a menu together which was LC. So we are both Cancerians, I am next Monday. Not wanting any fuss this year as last year was my 60th and I was so spoiled by everyone. Can I be early in wishing you a happy birthday and wishing you good health and good things in the year to come.

That was great your friend doing that for you.
I am 70 tomorrow! Never thought I would get that far :)
Thank you very much for my lovely birthday wishes, and future health. I welcome that.

Happy birthday for Monday. And may you have an amazing year!

>^..^<

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @Annb ! I used to make oatcakes (as I called them) for breakfast every day. Egg, rolled oats, water or soy milk, and tons of cinnamon. I'd bake them on the stove in a small skillet. Yummy! Oats are now too high carb for me. As would be the pear, sigh. It's nice to meet you!
Gotta watch out for that hot pepper!

I've never been successful at making oatcakes, nor even liked them very much but I keep them in hand just in case my BS drops. I've found a quite pleasant one that my local supermarket sells. In fact, oats usually does send my BS upwards so I don't have it very often. Today I needed something with the soup and that was the only thing I had in the house. I don't keep carboniferous stuff around in case I am tempted. My BS is usually high anyway which is why I am low carbing, to try to keep it under some sort of control. Actually carbs seem to make me more hungry than I otherwise would be - oats certainly do and always have done.

Food prep is not easy at present - my son tore out the fittings in my utility room about 4 or so years ago and has only just got around to putting it back together again with the result that my fridge and freezer are stuck in the hall and there is a very tight obstacle course to reach anything. So I am making do with what is to hand - pears were on the kitchen windowsill ripening in the imaginary sun we are having here in the Hebrides at present.

Strangely enough, my BS is only 4.9 tonight. Odd.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@gennepher Happy Birthday! What a shame the garden center has given in to Big Phood. Glad you got cream and berries!! And way to go your friend for coming through with a real cake, big smiles for her!
@PenguinMum Happy Birthday come Monday! (I will most likely have disappeared again by then, I'm sad)
@Viv19 does icing the toe help any? Not that you have time for that...
I did indeed make it from bfast to supper on DWH&H. Iced! Went ritual shopping, spent far too much. I believe octopus to be LC so I'll try yet again to oust Peter Parker. Cephalopod alert!!! This photo may be too cyoot for sensitive persons. Then I sat by the water for a few hours, even Going In!
Now it's my turn to be buzzed by mosquitos.....
IMG_1562197054.177358.jpg
tentacle span about 8", and if mounted correctly will hold a hanging item from each curl.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I've never been successful at making oatcakes, nor even liked them very much but I keep them in hand just in case my BS drops. I've found a quite pleasant one that my local supermarket sells. In fact, oats usually does send my BS upwards so I don't have it very often. Today I needed something with the soup and that was the only thing I had in the house. I don't keep carboniferous stuff around in case I am tempted. My BS is usually high anyway which is why I am low carbing, to try to keep it under some sort of control. Actually carbs seem to make me more hungry than I otherwise would be - oats certainly do and always have done.

Food prep is not easy at present - my son tore out the fittings in my utility room about 4 or so years ago and has only just got around to putting it back together again with the result that my fridge and freezer are stuck in the hall and there is a very tight obstacle course to reach anything. So I am making do with what is to hand - pears were on the kitchen windowsill ripening in the imaginary sun we are having here in the Hebrides at present.

Imaginary sun! I love it!! I am on my phone so can't see people's signatures or descriptions, but I'm guessing you might be Type 1?
My oatcakes (so called) were essentially a thick muffin or pancake batter, with the oats soaked in their other ingredients overnight. Then it was a 5 minute task to dry-fry/bake them in a heavy little omelet pan. So not your Hebridean Real Thing, that's for sure!
Glad your BG nice and low despite all, and would you like me to come give your son a little incentive to finish what he began? lol!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I showed my friend a diabetic cake recipe I would eat that was on my phone. She studied it, said she didn’t have all the ingredients, but could she swap such and such for something else etc. Half an hour later of discussion and she feels happy enough to make me a diabetic late birthday cake which I will get in 2 weeks time!

I am taking strawberries and cream to my art group. So that solves the birthday treat for there!

Otherwise I will be eating my own food at home!
>^..^<

Often all round safest option, making it yourself but lovely of your friend to want to make you a birthday cake still.
Happy Birthday

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Winner for carboniferous alone - word of the decade

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tipetoo that chocolate cake looks amazing...I might not like the creamy centre but love the choc biscuits idea around the outside. So on thatbasis I must pass!
@zauberflote glad you are still having a good time. Thanks for your good wishes. The octopus looks great and practical too. Its one of the few things from the sea I have tried and not liked. That and lobster which I used to like but am now seriously allergic to. But for some reason I am fine with crab, for now anyway.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got loads of catch up now. Monday - bed 6.5 FBG 6.1
A day of rushing about. Managed to get from waiting list into Aqua so a mad dive to get ready and there on time negotiating multiple road works. Also spent ages trying to check SIL & Hubby onto Ryanair flight to Rome which was booked by their travel agent in Australia (more on this saga later).
B. TAG with ADOC. No time for anything else.
L. Nothing.
D. Not much in house so we both had 4 GF pork chipolatas, fried egg and I had veggie chips - Hubby potato chips. 2 bits Lindt 90%.

Grandson free today.
@Viv19 - sorry to read about your toe. Hopefully you are recovering. @Chook - hope the pooch is now recovered. Is wasn't Jack was it?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher - Happy birthday. You've certainly had quite a time but may things just get better for you. I too don't do well getting a tooth out. I had a bad time with the jab but my dentist now uses a fast acting one which also wears off quickly.
@zauberflote - welcome back again and why are you disappearing again on Monday? @Goonergal - yes the ice cream/chocs looked great. How you manage that amount of walking in a New York summer I don't know. Well done you.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've got loads of catch up now. Monday - bed 6.5 FBG 6.1
A day of rushing about. Managed to get from waiting list into Aqua so a mad dive to get ready and there on time negotiating multiple road works. Also spent ages trying to check SIL & Hubby onto Ryanair flight to Rome which was booked by their travel agent in Australia (more on this saga later).
B. TAG with ADOC. No time for anything else.
L. Nothing.
D. Not much in house so we both had 4 GF pork chipolatas, fried egg and I had veggie chips - Hubby potato chips. 2 bits Lindt 90%.

Grandson free today.
@Viv19 - sorry to read about your toe. Hopefully you are recovering. @Chook - hope the pooch is now recovered. Is wasn't Jack was it?

Yes, it was Jack - how did you guess??? :joyful: He's a lot better but still not speaking to me after being starved for 36 hours.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Another beautiful day! Wheeze, sneeze, cough, cough - I think my 'cold' might be hayfever (something I've never really suffered from before). If its still with me tomorrow I will get some antihistamines.

Today...

Breakfast: bacon and eggs :shifty:

Lunch: pate and celery

Dinner: steak and mushrooms cooked in garlic and butter and some halloumi 'chips'*

Dessert: any ripe strawberries i can find in the garden.

Drinks: the usual black decaff coffee and lots of water

* I hate salty foods but I quite enjoy halloumi chips if I rinse the salt off and pat dry thoroughly before cooking

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Imaginary sun! I love it!! I am on my phone so can't see people's signatures or descriptions, but I'm guessing you might be Type 1?
My oatcakes (so called) were essentially a thick muffin or pancake batter, with the oats soaked in their other ingredients overnight. Then it was a 5 minute task to dry-fry/bake them in a heavy little omelet pan. So not your Hebridean Real Thing, that's for sure!
Glad your BG nice and low despite all, and would you like me to come give your son a little incentive to finish what he began? lol!

I'm diagnosed as type 2 but have just had a c-peptide blood test done to see if I might actually be a late onset type 1. Your oatcakes sound nicer than the ones I buy, but sadly, I will have to give them a miss. My BG was still low enough for comfort this morning, which is all very strange, it usually isn't. Actually didn't check it again later in the morning which is when it usually starts to rise alarmingly even though I am still fasting until mid-morning. This is why I asked the GP to check my c-peptide level.

Lol! There isn't a person in the world can incentivise my son - he has Aspergers syndrome and does what he feels is right. He is my saviour in many ways; very clever and very capable and very helpful but if he loses momentum it takes a long time to get him going again. I have a half installed bathroom from even before the utility room project - that was from when we had to install a wet room for my late husband to cope with his disability, about 8 years ago. The wet room was finished, but we decided to re-model the previous (smaller) shower room and put in a small bath for me. The bath is there, the taps, the electric shower, the bath panels,, wood for framework and a bidet. He got as far as installing the new toilet and the rest is still waiting to be installed. I now use the old shower room as a second utility-cum-paint store. He also has a part finished apartment for himself in the other end of our house. That is more like a furniture store-room and builder's yard at present. He did finish off renovating a house for his brother before starting all this in our house.

Actually, he is a darling and suffers from many health issues himself - Crohn's disease, sarcoidosis and multiple allergies. Sometimes it all gets a bit much for him.

Viv19

That was great your friend doing that for you.
I am 70 tomorrow! Never thought I would get that far :)
Thank you very much for my lovely birthday wishes, and future health. I welcome that.

Happy birthday for Monday. And may you have an amazing year!

>^..^<

Gennepher, we old bats are hard to keep down! Welcome to the OSAHDWEGH Club. That’s the Over Seventies And How Did We Ever Get Here Club.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another beautiful day! Wheeze, sneeze, cough, cough - I think my 'cold' might be hayfever (something I've never really suffered from before). If its still with me tomorrow I will get some antihistamines.

Today...

Breakfast: bacon and eggs :shifty:

Lunch: pate and celery

Dinner: steak and mushrooms cooked in garlic and butter and some halloumi 'chips'*

Dessert: any ripe strawberries i can find in the garden.

Drinks: the usual black decaff coffee and lots of water

* I hate salty foods but I quite enjoy halloumi chips if I rinse the salt off and pat dry thoroughly before cooking
Hugs for the potential hay fever. I think this year is worse than last year. Not causing me the coughing and wheezing issues but playing havoc with my joint problems. Like you not something I have suffered with before and no problem last year. Take care.

Reactions: zauberflote