How many insulin units do you take?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I take my 18 units of levemir in two injections of 9 units each. One at 7.00 a.m. and one at roughly 9.00 p.m. Done that way I maintain excellent control if I don't eat. In the morning I wake up one mmol either side of the figure I went to sleep on. My consultant told me that levemir's profile is shorter than that of lantus (the alternative on offer at the time) and for some people (not all) worked better with split doses.

It works best for me as two doses, so that's what I do. If it ain't broke ......

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Err.... that's my point if long acting can last for 24-72 hrs why does s/he have to take twice a day?, and the short acting which works less than 5 hrs is taken once? go look up the previous post.

Some of the long lasting insulins (basal) do not work efficiently for 24 hours, so a lot of people split dose their basal insulins to get the best 24 hour coverage. Levemir being one of the split dose basal insulins

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I use a total of about 55 units a day of fast acting Humalog by pump. Pretty close to it being a 50/50 split of basal versus bolus usage. I seem to be pretty consistent although sometimes I have too much "leftover" in my Omnipod pod and that just annoys me.

Usage just can really vary person to person. I agree that there is no right amount, it really is whatever a person needs.

bisalimo

I take my 18 units of levemir in two injections of 9 units each. One at 7.00 a.m. and one at roughly 9.00 p.m. Done that way I maintain excellent control if I don't eat. In the morning I wake up one mmol either side of the figure I went to sleep on. My consultant told me that levemir's profile is shorter than that of lantus (the alternative on offer at the time) and for some people (not all) worked better with split doses.

It works best for me as two doses, so that's what I do. If it ain't broke ......
I take same amount of levemir, but only once a day at 9 pm, had tried lantus too, but prefer levemir

bisalimo

Some of the long lasting insulins (basal) do not work efficiently for 24 hours, so a lot of people split dose their basal insulins to get the best 24 hour coverage. Levemir being one of the split dose basal insulins
I take levemir once a day at 9 pm, HbA1c 42, was 115 when diagnosed Oct 2017, 50 Jan 2018, no oral drugs, still enjoy ice cream, pudding, chocolate bar and drink a cup of coffee with two teaspoons of white sugar, Homa IR 2.0, C-Peptide 1.16

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Err.... that's my point if long acting can last for 24-72 hrs why does s/he have to take twice a day?, and the short acting which works less than 5 hrs is taken once? go look up the previous post.

Levemir lasts for up to 12 hours but has a flatter active profile than many. Some of us find it easier to maintain good blood sugars using it.
Like many others I use the short acting insulin for food and corrections.
Pumpers use short acting insulin delivered almost continuously and set a profile of doses according to their individual needs.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I take levemir once a day at 9 pm, HbA1c 42, was 115 when diagnosed Oct 2017, 50 Jan 2018, no oral drugs, still enjoy ice cream, pudding, chocolate bar and drink a cup of coffee with two teaspoons of white sugar, Homa IR 2.0, C-Peptide 1.16

Have you read about the people on the T2 threads who’ve had success with low carb and the low carb recipes for cakes and ice cream? Are you in the U.K.? There’s a range of non-carb sweeteners available; I use them myself as high density sugar foods where the digestion turns the sugar to glucose very rapidly will spike blood sugar unless they’re selectively used as a hypo treatment.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'am type 2, 18 units of levemir at 9 pm

Type 1 here, 10 units of Tresiba in the morning and 3 meals carb counting with Novorapid Insulin, ranging from 15 to 18 units. so a total of 28 for both.

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Type 1 here, 10 units of Tresiba in the morning and 3 meals carb counting with Novorapid Insulin, ranging from 25 to 28 units. so a total of 28 for both.

Psssstttt......your adding up is not so good RRB :bag::bag:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'am type 2, 18 units of levemir at 9 pm
Ah - in which case you might get more useful information by asking other type twos who use insulin, and they are two completely different conditions that just share part of a name.

Reactions: Circuspony
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I pressed the number 2 instead of the number 1, so all okay dokey now and thank you so much for alerting me to my mistake :D

Reactions: Kim Possible

bisalimo

Ah - in which case you might get more useful information by asking other type twos who use insulin, and they are two completely different conditions that just share part of a name.
Err...nope, don't get me wrong, i asked about type 1 on purpose and deliberately, i had read a lot about type 2 in this forum and other forums too, youtube, googling and others, i just want to know the other side...or should i say the other type of diabetes, ehm.. is it forbidden for type 2 to enter type 1 sector?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Err...nope, don't get me wrong, i asked about type 1 on purpose and deliberately, i had read a lot about type 2 in this forum and other forums too, youtube, googling and others, i just want to know the other side...or should i say the other type of diabetes, ehm.. is it forbidden for type 2 to enter type 1 sector?
Not at all. I just don’t understand how gathering dosage information for a different condition is of much use, that’s all :)

bisalimo

Not at all. I just don’t understand how gathering dosage information for a different condition is of much use, that’s all :)
Because i thought type 1 have no insulin resistance, so if, and only if, a type 2 has no insulin resistance his exogenous (insulin shots) must be lower than that of a type 1, because type 1 have no/very little endogenous insulin, but according to helensaramy (#9) type 1 can be insulin resistant too