How many insulin units do you take?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Because i thought type 1 have no insulin resistance, so if, and only if, a type 2 has no insulin resistance his exogenous (insulin shots) must be lower than that of a type 1, because type 1 have no/very little endogenous insulin, but according to helensaramy (#9) type 1 can be insulin resistant too
Ah, I see! But isn’t insulin resistance the hallmark of type 2? The only reason I can see for doses to be less than a T1 is if you’re still making your own and need a “top-up”.

And sadly, type one doesn’t give us any immunity from getting resistance to insulin :(

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to make things clear and add to the mix.......... some t2's like me are non insulin producers and may not be insulin resistant and are insulin sensitive or a combination of both.......everyone's diabetic profile is unique to them......there is no one size fits any particular type.

Reactions: Brunneria

bisalimo

Ah, I see! But isn’t insulin resistance the hallmark of type 2? The only reason I can see for doses to be less than a T1 is if you’re still making your own and need a “top-up”.

And sadly, type one doesn’t give us any immunity from getting resistance to insulin :(

Ah, I see! But isn’t insulin resistance the hallmark of type 2?

Yes, that's why i wrote "if and only if"

The only reason I can see for doses to be less than a T1 is if you’re still making your own and need a “top-up”.

My fasting insulin is 7.42 (normal range 3-25) and don't be mistaken, just like blood glucose, being closer to minimum value is better than closer to maximum

But my Homa IR is 2.0 (normal range 0.5 - 1.5) again lower is better, so i'm definitely insulin resistant

And Homa B is 54%, should be 70-150, so though i'm still making normal insulin, that is not enough to cover the carb intake as my body can not make use of the internal insulin efficiently and effectively, and i need 18 units of external insulin shot to top up

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For those who are type 1, i'd just like to know how many units of insulin do you take every day?
On an average day an average amount, somewhat like average people.
You’ve asked an average question and gleaned some useful insight into TYPE 1 diabetes. Hopefully you are know better informed and will not be so reliant on misguided information and assumptions.

Reactions: LooperCat

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m sorry, this thread that has gained momentum throughout the day has started to irritate me. I am having a bad day. My average insulin usage is usually pretty low, because that is what my body requires and suits the type of food I eat. However, today that has doubled. I don’t know why, I don’t feel like I am falling ill. Which for type 1s will mean a steep rise in insulin. It has required vigilance. Would not have made an iota of difference if I had low carbed high fatted. As basically I only ate a few raspberries and yoghurt. 10 carbs worth. Which is my usual routine.
Tomorrow I will be swimming, so that will require a different daily amount. The day after I would usually need less but hey after today who knows.
This disease is not average, I am not average and if I could just take a set amount every day and not have to scan this £45 thing on my arm every 30 minutes I would be one happy bunny.
Hopefully average day will return tomorrow.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m sorry, this thread that has gained momentum throughout the day has started to irritate me. I am having a bad day. My average insulin usage is usually pretty low, because that is what my body requires and suits the type of food I eat. However, today that has doubled. I don’t know why, I don’t feel like I am falling ill. Which for type 1s will mean a steep rise in insulin. It has required vigilance. Would not have made an iota of difference if I had low carbed high fatted. As basically I only ate a few raspberries and yoghurt. 10 carbs worth. Which is my usual routine.
Tomorrow I will be swimming, so that will require a different daily amount. The day after I would usually need less but hey after today who knows.
This disease is not average, I am not average and if I could just take a set amount every day and not have to scan this £45 thing on my arm every 30 minutes I would be one happy bunny.
Hopefully average day will return tomorrow.

Big hugs! Annoying bugga ain’t it?!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get the curiosity about how it all works. I take 0.78 hourly basal novo rapid and 1-1.5 units to cover low carb meals with protein except for Fridays when I eat more carbs (can't resist the home mande scones at work).
Am worried about getting insulin resistant so try to minimise the insulin via lchf. I do notice that the heavier I am the more insulin I need and whilst pregnant I got very insulin resistant (this also happens in puberty as the body's way of growing in both instances).
Other interesting take on type 1 for me was that according to Benjamin Bikkman (expert researcher in glucagon and insulin), type 1 could be re classified as a disease of insufficient suppression of pancreatic alpha cells. Endogenous insulin suppresses glucagon from the alpha cells whereas exogenous insulin doesn't hence our basal dosing requirements.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it very interesting to know how much insulin, what kind and how often other Type 1s are taking. I know I have to find my own way, and repeatedly so, given all the variables that impact dosage requirements. After a period of relative stability in terms of knowing how much insulin to inject for a given feed, I'm now going through a period of instability. No two days are the same even if I eat the same stuff. I take 5 Basaglar every evening and Novorapid before meals and heavy snacks. Novorapid doses can range from 3 to 7 units, 4 to 5 times daily, depending on food, etc, etc and etc.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
9 Tresiba and Novorapid can be anything from 3 units all day (it was hot and I was walking around) to 10 units.

A little goes a long way if I'm exercising or if it's hot weather. I had a glucose tolerance test last Nov which showed I was making some of my own insulin but my pancreas was really slow in responding.

Some days though it wakes up without warning and that can lead to a really interesting day!!

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Dependent on what I want to eat and all the other variables, roughly 6 - 10 units of Novorapid for breakfast then anything from 8 - 12 units for lunch and for supper anything from 10 - 18 units of Novorapid... Lantus always 16 units prior to bed which is normally about Midnight / 1am