Carbs

Issma

Hi am newly diagnosed with type 2 and am trying to get my head around carb contents in food. I'm trying not to go over 150g if carbs a day, is that about right. Thanks in advance for any answers. X

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi am newly diagnosed with type 2 and am trying to get my head around carb contents in food. I'm trying not to go over 150g if carbs a day, is that about right. Thanks in advance for any answers. X
Low carb is considered to start at 130g per day.. some of us aim for fewer than 10g per day.
You should probably get a blood sugar meter to watch the effects of carbs on your blood sugar levels.
What was your HbA1c on diagnosis?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Issma
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but a warm welcome to our forum just the same.
There is no right quantity of carbs only a quantity that is right for you.
You need to reduce consumption of carb rich food until your glucose stays within acceptable levels.
The best way to learn to do this is by testing your level with a glucose monitor and adjust the quantity of carbs between one meal and the next until your after count ( 2 hours after a meal) is within 2 mmol of your before count.
As long as you know what the main carb rich food and control these you may not need to actually count carbs.
Main carb rich food (sugar, pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, sweets, fruit)

Reactions: Issma

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Issma,
Most people advice is, to lower carbohydrates especially for those newly diagnosed, this gives the pancreas a rest without needing to produce too much insulin.

Rule of thumb is to cut out starchy products like: pasta, rice, noodles this includes wholemeal, bread, potatoes. Anything grown below ground tend to be high carb content.
Anything grown above is fine, green veg, cauliflower, salads, avocado, mushrooms, eggs are low in carbs.
Tropical fruits are too high in sugar content, berries, strawberries, blu,blackberry are fine, especially with full fat cream and plain yogurt.
All meats are fine.
The diet doctor is fab on this forum as it gives great details on foods.
If looking at products check the ingredients and look at total carbs, this give you the proper amount of carbs. Look at how much in a 100g, the lower the better.

Hope this helps to begin with.

Issma

Low carb is considered to start at 130g per day.. some of us aim for fewer than 10g per day.
You should probably get a blood sugar meter to watch the effects of carbs on your blood sugar levels.
What was your HbA1c on diagnosis?
Hi hbA1c was 49. Doc said to try and control it by diet for 3 months and then have another blood test. Didn't really give me much info just told me to check carb contents on line and cut down on my carb intake. I have always been a big bread/ rice and pasta eater so have stopped having those. I was shocked to see carb contents of other foods. I have always thought diabetes was sugar related and as I don't eat sweets/cakes or take sugar I was shocked to get the diagnosis, and to find out it's the carbs that really count. How ignorant was I!!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How ignorant was I!!!
Not at all. most people have no idea until diagnosed!

@pixie1 mentioned diet doctor which can be found here
www.dietdoctor.com
a great resource of recipes and carb content of food info.

Edit to add 49 is only just over the threshold of T2 for diagnosis so you made need less extreme dietary changes although the fewer carbs the better (in my opinion anyway).

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The majority of the population don't understand carbs and that sugar is just another carb so you are not alone. Blame most of the Governmental organisations around the world who appear equally ignorant. Aiming for 150gm/day is quite a good start point and try to goa bit lower still if you can and need to further reduce your BS

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi hbA1c was 49. Doc said to try and control it by diet for 3 months and then have another blood test. Didn't really give me much info just told me to check carb contents on line and cut down on my carb intake. I have always been a big bread/ rice and pasta eater so have stopped having those. I was shocked to see carb contents of other foods. I have always thought diabetes was sugar related and as I don't eat sweets/cakes or take sugar I was shocked to get the diagnosis, and to find out it's the carbs that really count. How ignorant was I!!!
You're not ignorant. I had two dieticians, one from my GP's practice and the other from the hospital, pushing "healthy carbs" on me. That got me from obese, to morbidly obese and diabetic. So if the people whose profession it is to know, have no clue, how were you supposed to know practically all carbs translate to bloodsugars?

First rule of T2: No kicking yourself around. You didn't know, and how could you? Sooooo. Here's some proper info.

To begin with, the link @LittleGreyCat wanted you to have: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/ It's a really good start. Then there's websites like dietdoctor.com and this forum's website that'll help. And my own little quick start guide, https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/. For more in-depth stuff there's Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code. (Which is a surprisingly un-dry read). As for rice, and pasta, you're about to find out just how versatile cauliflower rice is. And spiralised courgette. :)

Welcome. You're going to be okay. :)
Jo
PS: Any questions? Give a shout!

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!

I was diabetic and ignorant for 9 years before I found out that carbs were sugar. Not one doctor or nurse ever mentioned it. Like you didn’t eat much sweet stuff but plenty of carbs.
Good luck, Jan

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest, I think you've actually got a reasonable GP. Most tell you the Eatwell plate is your aim in life, including 1/3 of carbohydrates!!! I suspect your GP is very aware of the bad advice given but feels s/he must be careful when going against the 'taught' diet for people with diabetes ;)

At least s/he's suggested checking out carbs - many other GPs and Health Care Professionals will encourage you to eat all the 'wrong' foods.

Best to get yourself a Glucometer, but be sure to consider the cost of the test strips as these are the ongoing costs. The Tee2+ from Spirit Healthcare or the Codefree (can't remember details) Several members on this forum use these. Also, if you phone the manufacturer's, they MAY offer you a free Glucometer ( they make their money on the sale of test strips) ;)

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your HbA1c is only just over the border, shouldn't take much to lower your levels. Just a bit of a tweak.

Don't be hard on yourself, It's very difficult because it the very people who suppose to be helping you are the ones who have created your predicament.

Carbs are taught that they are essential for energy and is a must. I'm being told to eat carbs, the people have done nutrition as part of sports science. even at a degree level. Still don't understand that being diabetic I can't have them.