What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...because real life starts again and I have to choose my time priorities very very carefully to avoid stressfully high levels of high stress. Something has to give, and this here is sort of an optional activity when compared to sleeping, working, exercising, Mom-ing. Then there are the non-negotiables of my own very lengthy toilette Am&PM,+ specialized cat feeding. Those two things alone take about 3 hours out of the day. No cats on vacation, and sometimes no working. Often not enough sleeping! Life as it is.
I can't talk as I got very behind again. I intended to catch up yesterday but was distracted by a very large load of ironing. Not the best plan when it was so hot. Even with all the windows open I was still dripping!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I stir fry it from raw. I don't boil or steam. Treat it the sane as fried rice. I put chopped spring onion in it, peas and a beaten egg sometimes after I've added Tamari soy to it.
Thanks. I haven't stir fried it in the past but I will with the cauli that I have for tomorrow.

Meals today have been -
Breakfast: braised pork with vegetables
Lunch: was going to be the couple of handfuls of peanuts I had about 12 o'clock but then I added cheese and cucumber 2 hours later.
Dinner: is the oven at the moment, chicken portions roasting and Brussels sprouts with bacon.
Only had 4 cups of tea today and no water. Forgot to drink but I'll get some more drunk by bedtime.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all on a sunny,warm evening here. B= lots of tea and some cheddar for tablet taking. NE1 was cheese and cucumber sandwich (schneiderbrot protein) and salad leaves + more tea. Sandwiches are always good by me. Schneiderbrot is low enough carb but I think Asda has stopped selling it. Mid afternoon I had two 10 cal jellies and a little cream. NE2 (3?) was avocado and egg salad + water - another winner. Take out the breakfast and jelly/cream and I would be happy to repeat that menu most days with 2 or 3 sandwich fillings. Hope you all had good days. @zauberflote we'll miss you but totally understandable.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...because real life starts again and I have to choose my time priorities very very carefully to avoid stressfully high levels of high stress. Something has to give, and this here is sort of an optional activity when compared to sleeping, working, exercising, Mom-ing. Then there are the non-negotiables of my own very lengthy toilette Am&PM,+ specialized cat feeding. Those two things alone take about 3 hours out of the day. No cats on vacation, and sometimes no working. Often not enough sleeping! Life as it is.
Please take care of yourself when normal life resumes...come back when you are able to.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb ok, since I can't incentivize my own autie/aspie 29-yr-old son, we shall simply be sisters in spectrum parenting land! We are not alone! My BG is rising when I get up, no matter when that is
@Viv19 and @gennepher I like the idea of being an old bat in a short few years. I am currently an old fartess and an old geezerette, so something new will be fun!
@dunelm thank you! We will eat many hot dogs and hamburgers, with too many variations and trimmings to write down. Potato chips and salad, slaw, barbecue, baked beans, beer, and of course s'mores. I have a recipe for keto marshmallows but never made them, sadly. It would go well with cinnamon dunnies and 90% Lindt. I have never liked the original version, but love plain marshmallows, toasted and stripped repeatedly. Our personal household has queued up: hot dogs, brats, chicken thighs, and all manner of things from a "clean out the icebox Mabel, we're leaving too soon!" fest.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a question to those of you who use frozen cauliflower and/or broccoli ‘rice.’
I thought it would be easier if I make some for the freezer. Has the rice been cooked- tossed in butter or blanched before freezing? I was wondering which would be best. Before I grate up a whole cauliflower and head of broccoli.

I'm uber lazy with cauli rice.

I put it through the food processor, then bag it loosely in portion sized amounts, and throw it into the freeer. Provided it isn't compressed, during the freezing process, it flows freely from the bag.

From there, when cooking, I stir fry it in a hot wok. Sometimes I add a smear of oil to the wok (usually if I'm using dry spices at the beginning), but often just stir fry in a dry wok.

I don't find it gets too wet, provided the wok is hot enough.

As well as plain cauli rice, I sometimes add kedgeree, pilau or paella spices. When doing "Pretendy Paella", I start with the chorizo, which renders plenty of fabulous oil to falvour and colour the "rice".

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm uber lazy with cauli rice.

I put it through the food processor, then bag it loosely in portion sized amounts, and throw it into the freeer. Provided it isn't compressed, during the freezing process, it flows freely from the bag.

From there, when cooking, I stir fry it in a hot wok. Sometimes I add a smear of oil to the wok (usually if I'm using dry spices at the beginning), but often just stir fry in a dry wok.

I don't find it gets too wet, provided the wok is hot enough.

As well as plain cauli rice, I sometimes add kedgeree, pilau or paella spices. When doing "Pretendy Paella", I start with the chorizo, which renders plenty of fabulous oil to falvour and colour the "rice".

I do exactly the same

Reactions: SlimLizzy and Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s taken ages to read through today’s posts - can imagine how daunting the prospect of a few days post was @maglil55
@Chook and @ianpspurs I think hay fever is definitely worse this year - mine had all but fizzled out about 10 yrs ago but I had to buy Claritin yesterday, it’s back with a vengeance. Hugs for the gout too, my dad suffered and said it was the most painful thing ever. Cherry tomatoes were triggers for him we figured this out after it flared up the same time every year at about the time his greenhouse cherry toms were ripe and he would pick and eat them throughout the day as he pottered about in the garden. I researched it later and found they are very bad for gout sufferers.
Today’s food:
First thing TWAM then CWC at a NT cafe with old friend and her dog.
NE1: Stole @shelley262 ‘s lunch idea of chopped avocado mixed with strips of smoked salmon, lemon and mayo. Salad
Intended to have a small bit of HC Easter egg but forgot to stop and polished it off. Felt a bit sick about 20mins later.
NE2: cheese and spinach omelette, salad. 2 glasses red.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Last of the corned silverside and mustard sandwiches.
Dinner: Roast local duck, veggies, butter mushroom gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, not very fat bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea, water no additives added.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher - Happy birthday. You've certainly had quite a time but may things just get better for you. I too don't do well getting a tooth out. I had a bad time with the jab but my dentist now uses a fast acting one which also wears off quickly.
Thank you much. Things will get better. I am sure they will!

I am the same with the tooth. The jabs themselves make my mouth sore and painful for several days, more than the tooth being pulled out. I was surprised how quickly the anaesthetic wore off.

Different from the days when you went under with gas. But I did love the vivid dreams I always had with gas...

>^..^<

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting you mention joint problems. I didn't know that hay fever could affect joints. My knees, back, neck and finger joints (which are normally painful but just about bearable) have been badly playing up since this 'cold' started - I just put it down to being under the weather but, thinking about it, it might have started before.

Is your joint pain arthritis? TBH I think mine is payback for years of (year round) motorbike riding and weight training.

I get joint pain whenever anything autoimmune kicks off - psoriasis, hayfever, gut stuff.
And for me, it is usually a dietary trigger.
So while it looks, feels and drips like hayfever, it is triggered by me overloading my immune system with food intolerances.
Without the food triggers, I would be able to tolerate the pollen/dust/environmental trigger.

So what have you changed, lately, that could have set it off?

Today’s food:
B:none
L: a v non carnivorous salad of guacamole, feta stuffed baby peppers and diced lemon feta. Loved every mouthful. Now i just have to wait and see what my guts make of it! :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:
D: 2 bowls of offal soup, with dollop of cream cheese. First bowl so delish I just got up and had another (lambs liver and kidneys).

Dogs loved theirs’ too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Different from the days when you went under with gas. But I did love the vivid dreams I always had with gas...
I was always sick as a dog after having gas at the dentist when I was a kid, I do not remember any trippy dreams tho'.

When I had my last cataract op done, the anaesthetist Dr Zipp gave me a light shot of something that was good to settle me down as I was fidgeting abit with the first one, it was in technicolor and they were water ripples within ripples. I asked for some to take away but could not get any...

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook your years of weight training and biking are exactly what will cause osteoarthritis! Mine was ballet and jogging...
@ianpspurs I'm sorry to learn it's gout for you! Ugh!!
Oy @maglil55 what a disaster for the cruise! Your in-laws must be devastated. But reading further, it appears that SuperGran is flying to the rescue (again!!) Ironing...Mr ZF wears very good no-iron oxford shirts to office, and I stopped ironing linen for good recently. My hat is off to you!!
@DJC3 oooogh sorry about the lack of brake power on the Easter egg.
@Brunneria allergies is allergies! My allergist always tests for a huge number of foods in addition to all the inhalants at a patient's first testing.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was always sick as a dog after having gas at the dentist when I was a kid, I do not remember any trippy dreams tho'.

When I had my last cataract op done, the anaesthetist Dr Zipp gave me a light shot of something that was good to settle me down as I was fidgeting abit with the first one, it was in technicolor and they were water ripples within ripples. I asked for some to take away but could not get any...
Aww...hugs for that...that would have been a brilliant relaxing effect to watch.

>^..^<