Type 2 Can’t stop eating

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don't mention what type of medication you were on previously. If on metformin that is known to suppress appetite. It's possible that if you are no longer on this your appetite is no longer suppressed hence the desire to keep eating

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You don't mention what type of medication you were on previously. If on metformin that is known to suppress appetite. It's possible that if you are no longer on this your appetite is no longer suppressed hence the desire to keep eating

Forxiga

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d make a plan to ride things out for more than a day or two after the stopping meds. Whilst feeling peckish is annoying in the short term if you choose the right foods it’s not the end of the world or dangerous. And maybe it’s just one of those days and nothing to do with it at all

As part of that plan I’d ditch the carby, crave inducing stuff for the immediate few days. I’m not sure what brownies are being discussed but I’m fairly sure “fake” carbs aren’t your friend right now. Get over the cravings being caused by this food (even if they don’t spike bgl). I suspect it’s another body tantrum in reaction to a change. Bodies can be toddlers about change.

And I still beg to differ on the carb killer bars. You ate them when feeling low (symptom wise) to raise your levels and low and behold they did, they acted like carbs to your body making it less angry or shakey or headachey whatever.

Try a pickled onion or two. Seriously. A really strong flavour often knocks my munchies on the head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Cana ,

Oh I’m not hungry in the slightest. In fact I’m quite full! I was earlier but the sausages got rid of that (after the first couple, I just couldn’t stop!! It does remind me very much of pre diagnosis where I would just eat and eat! Not liking it to be honest!!

What are your BG numbers when you get the food cravings?
I appreciate you came off the meds, however your body may not be ustilising existing blood sugar giving the craving for food?
Which can be a symptom pre diagnosis for some...?

I wouldn't totally disparage @Jim Lahey 's "malnutrition" thoughts..

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi @Cana ,

What are your BG numbers when you get the food cravings?
I appreciate you came off the meds, however your body may not be ustilising existing blood sugar giving the craving for food?
Which can be a symptom pre diagnosis for some...?

I wouldn't totally disparage @Jim Lahey 's "malnutrition" thoughts..

They’ve been in the 8s all day so 8s.

I woke up on the 8s

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They’ve been in the 8s all day so 8s.

I woke up on the 8s
give it time. Coming off the meds has given you body a shock and it needs to catch up with the change. We are not machines, our bodies need time to adjust.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If you exercise every time you feel hungry and have a glass of water you can kick the snack habit. Fatty meat such as chipolatas and burgers do not satisfy hunger for very long. Try moving over to sugar free beans and a whole range of pulses [peas, chick peas and kidney beans etc] for your snacks and give up those fatty snacks and sweet tastes. I eat fish - not battered or crumbed -just cooked with a few veg. when I need a protein feed. You can buy salmon, cod or basa fillets for very good value in bags of 4 or more in the freezer shops. It is a new lifestyle you are starting and you need to do it forever but it takes 6 weeks to form new habits. so don't expect miracles of yourself but will power is the challenge. You can find lots of new exciting tastes and cook simple meals. Exercise suppresses your appetite and lowers your blood sugar. Good luck.
Fatty meat is very satisfying, the mixture of healthy fats and protein are what is needed to for satiety rather than stuff like sugar free beans (legumes) that may be sugar free but certainly arn't carb free.

Plus, some people will have a bg response as well as an insulin response to anything even remotely sweet be it a 'natural' sweet or a man made one.

Reactions: HSSS

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you bored? Could you get stuck in with something engrossing to take your mind off food? How about a big declutter, or go out somewhere? Do you feel really motivated to tackle your blood glucose levels, or half-hearted?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Are you bored? Could you get stuck in with something engrossing to take your mind off food? How about a big declutter, or go out somewhere? Do you feel really motivated to tackle your blood glucose levels, or half-hearted?

I’ve been crocheting all morning so definitely not bored.

Well I was 87 in August last year and trialling off meds 10 months later so I’d say motivated

Reactions: mariavontrapp

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
Fatty meat is very satisfying, the mixture of healthy fats and protein are what is needed to for satiety rather than stuff like sugar free beans (legumes) that may be sugar free but certainly arn't carb free.

Plus, some people will have a bg response as well as an insulin response to anything even remotely sweet be it a 'natural' sweet or a man made one.

Ok some fair points. However for me, and we are all different, I have lost 8kg since April 15th 2019 [diagnosis day] and am now able to run up to 5 miles. I have started smallish weights to build muscle and that seems to be fine. I am concerned about eating animal fat to keep my cholesterol and LDL fine. My BP is good as is my pulse now at a new resting low of 54 beats per minute [female, mid 50s]. I can't be doing everything wrong. My spikes [over 8 but reasonably rare] come from bread and fruit and don't last but I have insulin resistance so they do occur. I have started to research glycaemic index and glycaemic load of different fruit, nuts and pulses because as you say some are better than others in terms of carbohydrate and sugar content. I just don't eat anything with added sucrose or dring juices and if it needs sweetening [gooseberries for example] it gets to sit in coconut drink with oats over night in a Bircher's muesli. I haven't quite got the hang of the best diet for running and I will be aiming for much longer runs in the coming months but I will get there with fish, eggs, seeds, nuts and pulses and of course fruit and veg and the compulsory porridge/oat based muesli. Today I have given up my sulphonylurea completely and will see how well I manage. I think the fat to protein balance in meat is very important for satiation [ie: less fat more protein] but hard for me to judge as I don't eat it! We all start from different places and have different lives and stresses.
Good luck to all with their chosen paths

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Ok some fair points. However for me, and we are all different, I have lost 8kg since April 15th 2019 [diagnosis day] and am now able to run up to 5 miles. I have started smallish weights to build muscle and that seems to be fine. I am concerned about eating animal fat to keep my cholesterol and LDL fine. My BP is good as is my pulse now at a new resting low of 54 beats per minute [female, mid 50s]. I can't be doing everything wrong. My spikes [over 8 but reasonably rare] come from bread and fruit and don't last but I have insulin resistance so they do occur. I have started to research glycaemic index and glycaemic load of different fruit, nuts and pulses because as you say some are better than others in terms of carbohydrate and sugar content. I just don't eat anything with added sucrose or dring juices and if it needs sweetening [gooseberries for example] it gets to sit in coconut drink with oats over night in a Bircher's muesli. I haven't quite got the hang of the best diet for running and I will be aiming for much longer runs in the coming months but I will get there with fish, eggs, seeds, nuts and pulses and of course fruit and veg and the compulsory porridge/oat based muesli. Today I have given up my sulphonylurea completely and will see how well I manage. I think the fat to protein balance in meat is very important for satiation [ie: less fat more protein] but hard for me to judge as I don't eat it! We all start from different places and have different lives and stresses.
Good luck to all with their chosen paths
I think the differences are what you believe in on cholesterol and spike acceptance.

On cholesterol it appears that you believe that lower total and LDL is healthier - along the lines of the Diet Heart Hypothesis. Most of the responders in this thread believe that HDL (higher) and lower Triglycerides are more indicative of heart health. If you are inclined take a read of "The Big Fat Surprise". This is a 10 year labour of love investigation into fats / cholesterol, with what I believe is evidence all women in particular should be aware of.

The spikes for carby legumes and the like, tend not to be as high as potatoes, rice and pasta but many of the responders are highly optimised in their diets so spikes above 6.5 might be classed as high (I would freak out above 6.0 these days). I believe tribes prepare beans etc in ways that assist digestion and prevent bloating such as fermentation.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I
Don’t know if it’s anything to do with coming off meds (feels too soon but heck of a coincidence) but I can’t stop eating.

That sucky feeling of not really wanting to eat has disappeared and today I am just eating. I’ve eaten my weeks supply of chipolatas (well almost) a chicken thigh).

And I’m nowhere near hungry but I want to eat eat and eat.

I may just start my meds again to stop the eating. I didn’t like feeling like not wanting to eat but I don’t like this can’t stop eating either.

It’s annoying me.

And the cravings. I want anything. Can’t work out if I’m eating because potentially what I’m eating is not what my body wants.

Maybe I’m eating because I’m not giving it sugar.

Sugars are ok. Woke up in 8.3 and for some reason are stick around that. Lowest this morning was 8.1 but still hovering.

Even wondering if being higher than normal is making me want to eat.

If it wasn’t for the fact I am in pjs, under a blanket (when I’m not eating ) crocheting I would be down at Tesco buying the place out.

I have no idea how I started watching this, oh wait, I know, I learned a new term from the internet that I'd never seen: "face gains" where people who have lost weight post before and after shots of their transformed faces... Anyway, one thing led to another and I'm watching this dude late at night... and he's talking about binge eating. Not sure how it's going to help but at least he's pretty...

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
I think the differences are what you believe in on cholesterol and spike acceptance.

On cholesterol it appears that you believe that lower total and LDL is healthier - along the lines of the Diet Heart Hypothesis. Most of the responders in this thread believe that HDL (higher) and lower Triglycerides are more indicative of heart health. If you are inclined take a read of "The Big Fat Surprise". This is a 10 year labour of love investigation into fats / cholesterol, with what I believe is evidence all women in particular should be aware of.

The spikes for carby legumes and the like, tend not to be as high as potatoes, rice and pasta but many of the responders are highly optimised in their diets so spikes above 6.5 might be classed as high (I would freak out above 6.0 these days). I believe tribes prepare beans etc in ways that assist digestion and prevent bloating such as fermentation.

I am not medically trained but 3 immediate family members are doctors. My family also has a medical history of high cholesterol on one side and aneurysms on the other [even the marathon running doctor who uses cholesterol lowering medication] so I take care of my cholesterol and LDL keeping them low through what I eat rather than what I leave out. Veg, salads, seeds, nuts and pulses keep them fine. I do not eat meat but do eat fish. I do eat other animal fats in butter and dairy. I am lighter and fitter than I have been for some years and healthy notwithstanding being insulin resistant - my T2D. I failed in my effort to give up meds but in fact my spikes are now all under 7 a vast improvement from 9 weeks ago. After a period building muscle and fitness I will try again; if no success I will attempt the very serious 800kCal per day 8 week diet as its success [for some] is backed by peer reviewed research. Fortunately all the same foods are best for T2D, as those to avoid heart disease and reduce risk of cancers. Even better my vegan daughter is teaching me lots of really interesting and tasty recipes. However I would miss my dairy. I can hear the dog retching - he had the pastry from a quiche and I had the eggy inners - obviously doesn't agree with him, oops!! He is skinny too as he exercises with me. I'm practical. I need to eat enough calories to exercise and enough non-starchy foodstuffs to keep my blood glucose regulated. I will find that balance and give up meds forever - that's what I want to achieve. My builder friend has done it for 27 years, so can I.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am not medically trained but 3 immediate family members are doctors. My family also has a medical history of high cholesterol on one side and aneurysms on the other [even the marathon running doctor who uses cholesterol lowering medication] so I take care of my cholesterol and LDL keeping them low through what I eat rather than what I leave out. Veg, salads, seeds, nuts and pulses keep them fine. I do not eat meat but do eat fish. I do eat other animal fats in butter and dairy. I am lighter and fitter than I have been for some years and healthy notwithstanding being insulin resistant - my T2D. I failed in my effort to give up meds but in fact my spikes are now all under 7 a vast improvement from 9 weeks ago. After a period building muscle and fitness I will try again; if no success I will attempt the very serious 800kCal per day 8 week diet as its success [for some] is backed by peer reviewed research. Fortunately all the same foods are best for T2D, as those to avoid heart disease and reduce risk of cancers. Even better my vegan daughter is teaching me lots of really interesting and tasty recipes. However I would miss my dairy. I can hear the dog retching - he had the pastry from a quiche and I had the eggy inners - obviously doesn't agree with him, oops!! He is skinny too as he exercises with me. I'm practical. I need to eat enough calories to exercise and enough non-starchy foodstuffs to keep my blood glucose regulated. I will find that balance and give up meds forever - that's what I want to achieve. My builder friend has done it for 27 years, so can I.
Interesting. I am not diminishing your family Doctors, they are obviously very learned; but personally I would only take direction from similarly qualified Doctors who have then studied and practically applied low carb regimes to tens of thousands such as Dr Eric Westman, Dr Sarah Hallberg and Dr Jason Fung and Dr Ted Naimen. My rationale is that it is widely known that GP's study almost nothing on food and nutrition - incidently I would say my wife has known formally more than most Doctors across the globe, due to being initially a qualified PT in her teens, then getting a Sports Science Degree, followed by a Physiotherapy Degree. The latter 2 disciplines were heavy on food and nutrition (obviously geared towards sports and rehab, but kind of relevant); however much of this around high carb low fat she has now junked.

It is ok to believe that low cholesterol is appropriate as I assume you have weighed up the "evidence" and made your choice - if you did not go through a methodology, I would remind you that it was and still is a hypothesis that high cholesterol causes heart disease - following my regime, my QRISK has gone down by over 200%, the CAC scan has single handedly destroyed the Diet Heart Hypothesis in my view and I am aware tests such as the Womens Health Initiative do not produce the results the statin companies would like (amongst others). In addition my HS-CRP and Trigs are at 0.3, with HDL circa 2.5.

It is great that you have got spikes below 7, this would be good for many Type 2's. I am only showing by way of contrast that mine are below 6 on animal nutrition and low GI veg, nuts and berries, but where some would say have a palm sizes steak, I have 2 or another animal protein. I do recommend muscle building for everyone, I think this is a top prescription for insulin resistance. As you eat fish quality protein uptake and synthesis should not be a problem.

Again the foods that cause cancer in my view have been never shown to actually do so. If you take a smoker, a person who eats McDonalds / Burger King / KFC, eats crisps, pasta, rice, chips never exercises, also eats bacon and then say bacon causes cancer because this persons chances of getting colorectal cancer goes to 18% - you're at best a wilful deceiver and at worst a liar as the real number is a change in risk from 5 in 5500 to 6 in 5500. I call this slight of hand. If meat causes cancer why does the highest meat eating population in current times (Hong Kong), have the longest lived. We should also see higher incidents of cancer in populations in the Amazon and count any decade across the globe since 1900 up circa 1980 (except American) to see the incidence of most modern ills as a percentage of the population.

Good luck, how you feel and some bio markers rule.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. I am not diminishing your family Doctors, they are obviously very learned; but personally I would only take direction from similarly qualified Doctors who have then studied and practically applied low carb regimes to tens of thousands such as Dr Eric Westman, Dr Sarah Hallberg and Dr Jason Fung and Dr Ted Naimen. My rationale is that it is widely known that GP's study almost nothing on food and nutrition - incidently I would say my wife has known formally more than most Doctors across the globe, due to being initially a qualified PT in her teens, then getting a Sports Science Degree, followed by a Physiotherapy Degree. The latter 2 disciplines were heavy on food and nutrition (obviously geared towards sports and rehab, but kind of relevant); however much of this around high carb low fat she has now junked.

It is ok to believe that low cholesterol is appropriate as I assume you have weighed up the "evidence" and made your choice - if you did not go through a methodology, I would remind you that it was and still is a hypothesis that high cholesterol causes heart disease - following my regime, my QRISK has gone down by over 200%, the CAC scan has single handedly destroyed the Diet Heart Hypothesis in my view and I am aware tests such as the Womens Health Initiative do not produce the results the statin companies would like (amongst others). In addition my HS-CRP and Trigs are at 0.3, with HDL circa 2.5.

It is great that you have got spikes below 7, this would be good for many Type 2's. I am only showing by way of contrast that mine are below 6 on animal nutrition and low GI veg, nuts and berries, but where some would say have a palm sizes steak, I have 2 or another animal protein. I do recommend muscle building for everyone, I think this is a top prescription for insulin resistance. As you eat fish quality protein uptake and synthesis should not be a problem.

Again the foods that cause cancer in my view have been never shown to actually do so. If you take a smoker, a person who eats McDonalds / Burger King / KFC, eats crisps, pasta, rice, chips never exercises, also eats bacon and then say bacon causes cancer because this persons chances of getting colorectal cancer goes to 18% - you're at best a wilful deceiver and at worst a liar as the real number is a change in risk from 5 in 5500 to 6 in 5500. I call this slight of hand. If meat causes cancer why does the highest meat eating population in current times (Hong Kong), have the longest lived. We should also see higher incidents of cancer in populations in the Amazon and count any decade across the globe since 1900 up circa 1980 (except American) to see the incidence of most modern ills as a percentage of the population.

Good luck, how you feel and some bio markers rule.

Hi there, as an aside I always smile when I see a list of foods symbolising the 'causes' of cancer and the like, it is always 'burgers' and sausages and similar, and yet when people eat these burgers, they are also eating buns and a whole host of carbs such as chips with the burger. How on earth do they know it's not the (unmentioned) accompanying carbs doing the damage?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi there, as an aside I always smile when I see a list of foods symbolising the 'causes' of cancer and the like, it is always 'burgers' and sausages and similar, and yet when people eat these burgers, they are also eating buns and a whole host of carbs such as chips with the burger. How on earth do they know it's not the (unmentioned) accompanying carbs doing the damage?
This what the likes of Dr Mark Hyman points out. He has more of plant heavy minimal meat on the plate preference, but he references studies of Vegans who shop at whole foods and exercise, he then says for meat eaters who do the same the heart disease risk is similar i.e. when the diet is clean meat cannot be blamed. There are so many elephants in the room, all of the referenced Doctors have more than adequate evidence of bio markers within their patient records (some their own journey); I have seen many videos from Dr Westman, Dr Fung on results, our own Dr David Unwin has done the same at many PHC events, Virta have released a 2 year study. By pretending that only RCT's can count is nonsense, we still have so called first world societies eating meats, fishes and eggs, we know what "our" Grand Parents ate (Meat and 2 Veg in the UK). Anyone with Sky can watch on catchup Rick Stein's food programmes such as "From Venice to Istanbul" - a real eye opener on what is eaten in different parts of the Mediterranean and places like villages in Croatia (carnivores would love this episode) - these are real societies some of whom n rural areas eating in traditional ways, right now. My own tests, documented for years on this site show good results on oats and more plants (best result 41 HbA1c), LCHF / LCHP (35 - 38), latest 35.5.

I have searched for actual numbers, for comparison Vegan / WFPB Type 2 Diabetes reversal numbers, especially for Dr Micheal Greger

During this I reviewed a site that has the following 2 statements:
https://www.riseofthevegan.com/blog/diabetes-reversal-with-plant-based-diet

"..Studies have shown that carbohydrates can reduce diabetes"

"..Low carbohydrate diets have also been found to actually increase the risk of type 2 diabetes - a study found a 37% increase in risk of diabetes. Interestingly, several studies have also shown that low-carbohydrate diets based on animal sources carry an increased risk of developing diabetes whilst low carbohydrate plant-based diets prove protective."

I wouldn't know how to even start a conversation with people with these beliefs, scary.