M IS FOR MENTORING by David Mendoza (2007)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was looking for the blog post by diabetes blogger David Mendoza that helped me put my diabetes in remission four years ago. While that post continues to elude me, I came across this one. It reminded me of all the support you all have provided me and others here through the years so I felt it worth sharing...

M Is For Mentoring
Diabetes Developments: A Blog On Latest Developments In Diabetes
June 20, 2007 by David Mendosa (1935 - 2017)
http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=179

You can be and probably are a mentor about something or other. You can be a mentor about diabetes too.

Mentoring is the informal way of helping other people. At work we have formal relationships of bosses and subordinates. The guidance that we give and receive up and down the heirarchy there is seldom if ever mentoring. It is mentoring when it’s not something you tell people to do.

When your doctor tells you his or her way of controlling your diabetes, it may be great advice, but it’s not mentoring. However, when a friend or relative suggests something that works for him or her, it can be mentoring.

Nobody is just a mentor. We are always also mentees. Nobody knows everything about even such an apparently narrow subject like diabetes. I use the word “apparently” advisedly, because I know from immersing myself in it for the past dozen years that in reality it is a huge subject.

At first we are largely on the receiving end of mentoring, which for the want of a better word is called being a mentee. But as we learn, we can pass on that knowledge to others.

For those of us who make use of the Internet, we can get so much from it. That’s being a virtual mentee. We can give it back here too. That’s being a virtual mentor.

Many years ago Howard Rheingold was one of the first people to make the connection between the Internet and the gift exchange that it fostered. In his book, The Virtual Community, first published in 1993, Howard wrote:

Reciprocity is a key element of any market-based culture, but the arrangement I’m describing feels to me more like a kind of gift economy in which people do things for one another out of a spirit of building something between them, rather than a spreadsheet-calculated quid pro quo. When that spirit exists, everybody gets a little extra something, a little sparkle, from their more practical transactions; different kinds of things become possible when this mind-set pervades. Conversely, people who have valuable things to add to the mix tend to keep their heads down and their ideas to themselves when a mercenary or hostile zeitgeist dominates an online community.

When I was able to get on the Internet in March 1994, the Web was just beginning. But newsgroups were going strong, and my motivation to go online was to get some of the shared knowledge on the Internet’s first diabetes group, misc.health.diabetes. Eventually my mentors there and later on many diabetes websites taught me almost all that I know about diabetes.

Later, when I started my website in February 1995 I was able to give back in some measure. A few years ago in my keynote address to the Institute for the Future’s Health Horizons Program, I said that “I think of [my site] as playing my part in what Howard Rheingold calls the ‘gift economy’ of the Net: People taking what they need and giving back in some measure without expectation of profit. All my life I have been taking in information. Now it is so satisfying to be giving back what I can.”

Mentoring is teaching others, but it’s outside of the formal teacher-student relationship. It’s also similar to but different from the formal coaching relationship, as my friend Jeff Myers reminds me. Jeff has type 1 diabetes and was one of the few diabetes life and wellness coaches until last year when he because an executive of a leading diabetes company.

"Regarding mentoring in diabetes,” he told me yesterday, “my writing has been about the value of hiring a coach who understands living with diabetes, but not anything about mentoring per se. In my experience, though, I’ve found it very energizing to talk to newly diagnosed (within the past year at least) type 1’s and ask about what is going well and what is not going so well. These simple questions unearth a wealth of topics that the ‘mentee’ feels are important to them.

“By this point I usually start getting questions about resources and strategies, etc., and I enjoy sharing what has worked well for me and others I know, and pointing them to excellent resources that they haven’t been told about by their health care providers. When, for example, the person is struggling to solve a problem with their diabetes management or their future living with diabetes, I like to ask them questions to explore what is most important to them, such as ‘what are you most worried about not being able to do now that you have diabetes?’

“From here I gauge whether or not to offer encouragement, or ask how they met other challenges in their life, or ask them to brainstorm with me what it might look like to successfully do those challenging things.

“My bottom line belief in doing this is that these individuals can do anything they want with diabetes, and that helping them draw on their own ideas and interests is the fastest and most effective path to successful ownership and management of their situation."

The bottom line for all of us is that we can give back to the virtual diabetes community of the Internet. All of us have so much to share. We can be both mentor and mentee as we support each other and make our community so much stronger.

DAVID MENDOSA
I am a freelance medical writer, advocate, and consultant specializing in diabetes. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in February 1994, I began to write entirely about that condition. My articles and columns have appeared in many of the major diabetes magazines and websites.

Title edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Sadly David died some years back but others have maintained some of his sites.
A great human being who gave and still, through his writing, gives so much

D

Deleted Account

Lovely message.

This was posted in the "Ask a Question" sub-forum to which I am sure many of us want to answer and assist.
What is the question?

Reactions: kitedoc

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
helensaramay, there is no question. I chose to post it here because this is one of the sub-forums where we "mentor" one another.

I surveyed a couple of years of David's blog post writings yesterday. There was one, posted on June 17, 2009, "David's Guide to Getting Our A1c Under 6.0" [or 42 in the UK], that interested me, in part because it had 148 comments.

I was deeply moved when I realized David continued to monitor and respond to each reader's request for guidance up until a few weeks of his death in May 2017. His answers were compassionate, informed, concise, to the point, and encouraging.

His work inspires me. Reading his blog posts is an opportunity to step back in time. Many of the things that frustrated us then still frustrate us today, but there has been progress. And so many diabetics lives are better thanks to the work of so many, beginning with the Banting diet in the 1800's more than 150 years ago.

Today, we have this incredible forum, Roy Taylor's low calorie diet to reverse diabetes, Jason Fung's intermittent restricted eating and fasting protocols, and Sarah Hallberg's study that has just completed it's 2nd year with funding from Virta Health thanks to the efforts of one the oroginal researchers, Stephen Phinney.

Ten or so years ago the American Diabetes Association acknowledged the usefulness of the low carbohydrate diet, but for weight loss only, up to one year only. Late last year, the ADA included the low carbohydrate diet in a comparison with all the other diets that are used today for managing diabetes. Interestingly, when comparing the results of each diet, the low carbohydrate diet performed best.

Today, the diet is used all over the world, thanks to the efforts of a few, including David Mendosa who blogged weekly on improvements in diabetes care and their practical applications.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @Winnie53 for that wonderful summary and exposition of David's manner and life.
A true hero.
Of course there are many challenges ahead but the tide seems to be starting to turn in a number of countries despite the efforts of Big Food and Big Pharma.
Australia is also seeing changes but i fear like perhaps some other countries, the intransigence of politics, the complete disregard for propriety and probity ( i allege) by our Dietatins Association of Australia ( see Jennifer Elliott vs DAA) put us at a disadvantage.
I hope that the work and vision of people like David Mendosa will help us all, in every place on Earth , win through, where such diet and management of health is truly relevant.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
kitedoc, did you listen to Ivor Cummins interview with Gary and Belinda Fettka? I was so shocked I think I've listened to it three times now. It really helped me better understand and make sense of what's been happening in the nutrition world. Here's the link in case anyone reading this is interested in hearing the interview...

I'm beginning to reach out to our local dietitians. Not sure if there's anything I can do to influence how they work with clients, but I can at least take the time to learn what they're offering their diabetes clients. It's a starting point...

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @Winnie53 , yes i have seen the video but thank you for sharing it as others may wish to see it.

Reactions: Winnie53

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Happy to help !!
LowCarbDownUnder have a e-newsletter.

In terms of scientific evidence and debunking of demonisation of saturated fats, cholesterol, low carb diets a subscription to zoeharcombe.com is useful.
She is a Welsh nutritionist with PhD who has studied saturated fat, cholesterol etc. She is well aware of the situation in Australia as the article about Jennifer shows, and of the Fettkes.

I have used Zoe's blogs to help defend against the accusations of doctors that low carb diets are associated with Heart disease ( from a paper in the Lancet in 2018). She shows the statiscal 'flaws' used to back the result the researchers wished for.

I know David Mendosa did a lot to promote the Glyaemic Index and Load with his charts of values for food, including food brands from various countries. I really admired his dedication.

I fear that things may have moved on a bit ( at least that is my impression). , that is the importance of science, to advance as well as test and retest.

There is a paper,
https://wis-wander.weizmann.ac.il/l...r-levels-response-foods-are-highly-individual in which are large number of non-diabetics gad tgeir BSLs tested after eating food. The variable ressults suggests to me, and this is my own, non-professional interpretation such a wide range if variation in bsls to raise doubt about the degree of GI values in particular as being a wide range and not as predictive as earlier studies made us believe.
The conclusion of the study showed that the actual bowel bugs or 'gut biome' as it is called, are an influential arbiter of how sensitive to their own insulin somene is, and that changes in the gut biome infuence how we react to food.
My take on this is that for diet, and in particular use of GI and insulin indexes, even carb counting are affected by the elephant in the room, the gut biome.

Best Wishes.

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I share your views about glycemic index. I remember learning about how our microbes influence how we respond to different foods. Found this fascinating. David Mendosa's dietary choices changed and evolved as his weight and health improved, but he seemed to continue his support of the low carb diet. Toward the end of his life, I recall him switching to a vegan or vegetarian diet, but i think he ate a lot of plant based foods in the last decade of his life already. I need to re-read his blog posts.

Miss.T. Morning

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
kitedoc, did you listen to Ivor Cummins interview with Gary and Belinda Fettka? I was so shocked I think I've listened to it three times now. It really helped me better understand and make sense of what's been happening in the nutrition world. Here's the link in case anyone reading this is interested in hearing the interview...

@Winnie53 Thank you so much for sharing this.