Running woes

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Every year I have the same problem. I am training for a running race in September , it's only 7 km but very fast. The problem is I'm not fast. I've been training intensely since May (was injured from Feb to May with a hip issue). I've got my speed down from 5:20 mins to 5:05 but still not good enough. After the 4 km mark I always implode and have to slow down or go into serious oxygen debt and have to stop.

Anyone got any running tips. I convinced BS is not an issue here as I can see exactly what is happening during the run on my libre, i occasionally get a small spike running but never a low.

I've tried supplements i.e. iron , multi vitamin , magnesium, b12 and rhodiola tablets with no noticeable improvements.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Are you doing any interval training?

Yeah , tried that and also tried longer distance runs > 10 km which was supposed to improve stamina. Bought some 'cooling products' recently and will be trying on the weekend. The first is a bandanna that supposedly cools your head to 15 degrees below your body temperature and second is a t-shirt that again cools you when you start sweating. Getting desperate now :-(

bmtest

You have probably answered your own question the race is fast and your are not end of, that said if all else equal and health ok just keep practising\training eventually if you are not too old you will improve.

I am assuming you are mechanically efficent runner not too heavy you dont run flat footed and your heart is able to increase output they say Kenya is quite nice this time of year try taking holiday there and mix with running team.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Every year I have the same problem. I am training for a running race in September , it's only 7 km but very fast. The problem is I'm not fast. I've been training intensely since May (was injured from Feb to May with a hip issue). I've got my speed down from 5:20 mins to 5:05 but still not good enough. After the 4 km mark I always implode and have to slow down or go into serious oxygen debt and have to stop.

Anyone got any running tips. I convinced BS is not an issue here as I can see exactly what is happening during the run on my libre, i occasionally get a small spike running but never a low.

I've tried supplements i.e. iron , multi vitamin , magnesium, b12 and rhodiola tablets with no noticeable improvements.

As in major sports, some athletes have the stamina over short distances, then other's are better paced on long distance running with endurance.
This is just a thought, what about doing some yoga as it could help with your emotional well being, therefore enhance you physically ? Well done though and good luck.

Reactions: Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have known some friends get faster by running slower and less - apparently there is a book! Overtraining is dangerous! If you have a heart rate monitor and your resting HR is up you are fatigued. Also swimming will potentially improve your oxygen use (prob not right phrase sorry) it helps regulate breathing patterns. Spinning (group indoor cycling ;)) is great for aerobic capacity without the tax on the legs of trad running intervals. Also do you get sports messages are your muscles limber. Yoga someone said- great plan. Sorry if you know all this btw

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If the previous responses are correct, and your problem is one of aerobic capacity, you could try the following every other day for between 3 and 4 weeks on a static cycle:
  1. Warm up for around 3 mins at a moderate pace
  2. Cycle as hard as you can for 20 seconds
  3. Cycle at a rate that allows you to get recovery for 1 minute
  4. Repeat from 2. 3 or if you can handle it 4 times
You should be completely shattered at the end of this (so probably best as your last exercise of the day). This will improve your V02 max in the quickest time, with the least chance of injury.

This level of intensity is ONLY for persons with a great base level of fitness.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.

Wurst, you don't seem to publish your BMI? I run 5kms, mid-week & Sundays. I do occasional 5Km Parkruns, which are more challenging than running against the clock. I'm a bit of an oldie but I never run into O2 debt or have to stop. My BMI is 23.4 and I think that carrying any excess weight is the biggest problem for runners, especially when you're getting older. Anyway, forgive me if you have a low BMI.

Loubean10

Evening, first post , type 1 diabetic for 45years and now on a pump . I would not call myself a runner( but my husband is !!!) however over the last 7 years I have slowly progressed from walking a 5 k to being able to do it in 31min ( without stopping ), if you desperately want to go faster join a local running club and I would suggest the best way to find a good local club is go to parkrun . It’s a free to enter 5 k run , but you can run, jog , walk or a mixture of all 3 . There are fast very good club runners there but also the walkers and everything in between. It’s very friendly and you will soon get to know other runners of your own speed and get encouragement. Plus a good idea of the best running club for what you need . I have had to stop for chronic fatigue but still get my “parkrun “ buzz by volunteering every couple of months. I would any body wanting a bit of regular exercise to sign up and join parkrun, they are all over the country and so friendly, supportive and fun .

Reactions: Juicyj and Cap'n M

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Loubean10

I am on a pump too and also do the parkruns - I am not far off my 50th and now doing 10kms too, I also volunteer when I can as it’s good to support them.

I have found using the Dexcom G6 has made life easier when running as can check blood glucose levels without stopping.

Well done for supporting the parkrun as it wouldn’t be possible without volunteers.

Reactions: Alexandra100

Mylrea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Wurst, I recommend investing in a heart rate monitor or better still a running watch and look at what heart rate zones you are running in. If your heart rate rises into the anaerobic zone 5 you will not last long at that pace, so you need to slow down and recover before speeding up again. A great web site for all runners is The Run Experience, they have loads of training and advice for free on YouTube
. It sounds like your problem could be fitness/technique not diabetes related. Parkrun is a great way to tune your technique and measure progress. Good luck

Jennyoninja

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there. First of all I'm so happy to have found some diabetic runners! I am a 7.5 stone type 2 diabetic runner of some 10 years so spend most of my time getting irritated by stereotyping. Anyway less about me. All advice above looks great. The only thing I would add is find lots of hills to run on. Long and short distance and fartleks (sorry of this has already been advised and I've missed it). This helps with building stamina and will make anything less than that better. Also what works for me as a 58 year old menopausal woman prone to hot flushes during running - I also wear lots of clothes during training so that when I'm racing with less clothes it feels fabulous!

Jennyoninja

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just looked at runsweet.com. It's for type 1. Is there anything similar for type 2 that's not about losing weight but a forum for runners ?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Great advice everyone. My BMI is 22.9 at the moment and steadily decreasing. I'm finding being slimmer very beneficial in terms of B/S control but still yet not with running performance. I'm a fairly good cyclist (IMHO) but it doesn't help with running at all. Due to a reoccurring hip injury I only run 2-3 times a week , so perhaps I'm not doing enough training.

Last weekend it was really hot here > 27 c at 09:00 so I went into the woods for a nice long slow run and it is so enjoyable when you're not constantly checking your time/pace :- ) Towards the end of the run I was feeling great and could really increase my speed, so I'm looking at a longer / harder warm up to see if that helps.

Is there anyway to check your iron levels without going to a doctor ?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just to conclude this topic , I stopped drinking coffee as I read it inhibits iron absorption.

After 1 week there was a noticeable improvement in my pace ! I went from 5:10 mins per km to 4:55 mins per km.

Anything under a 5:00 min per km pace is respectable for me :)