What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Cashew nuts and dark chocolate
cwc

Couple slices of ham
Couple slices of corned beef
Some bits of cheese
Mushrooms

cwc

An abundance of strawberries and cream

A piece of battered fish from fish shop on way home, but just ate fish inside on way home.
Cooked rest of mushrooms with butter when got home

cwc

Herbal teas and water

>^..^<

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@SlimLizzy that is very close to a summer casserole I used to make half a million years ago-- zucchini, onions, parmesan, and couscous, building up layers. The couscous was a latecomer to plain zucchini casserole like Mom made, to soak up the juices. I'd use flax now but Mr ZF would turn up his nose....
@zauberflote Thanks for the idea, Will probably put a little pasta in the bottom next time, to sop up the juices, having tested and found that 20 wholemeal penne is acceptable, can put white pasta in the other end...need to serve with something though, to keep up my protein. Last time was a bottom of the fridge effort, all there was left made into ??? something. like the name as well Summer Casserole it is :smug:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
12 noon - 4 slices of panchetta, two tomatoes, halved fried in a splodge of butter then in with an egg. One 90 sec almond flour roll - cut in half and share the contents of the pan between the two slices.

Dinner. All ready to go: braised radish with panchetta (still had some left), shallots and shredded cabbage.
Pudding will be a blob of kefir with a few frozen berries stirred in and topped with some home made granola.
Merlot.
90 second roll. Oh! its bound to be microwave...ours is still packed.

Reactions: zauberflote

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As some may remember, I hve done salted eggs from time to time, which are fab for picninc, salads and so on, as they don't need salt added on the hoof. Hard boiled eggs without salt? Not quite so good.

This morning a variation on this appeared in my inbox: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/salted-egg-yolks What actually arrived was cured in a 50/50 mix of salt and sugar, but this 100% salt would do for me.

I rather like the idea of grating over salads, and the longevity, once done.

I'll likely try it with just a couple of eggs. I have a couple of suitable containers for depth, without being huge. Actually, they could be made individually in ramekins, minimising the salt waste.

There's always an experiment to hand. :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm uber lazy with cauli rice.

I put it through the food processor, then bag it loosely in portion sized amounts, and throw it into the freeer. Provided it isn't compressed, during the freezing process, it flows freely from the bag.

From there, when cooking, I stir fry it in a hot wok. Sometimes I add a smear of oil to the wok (usually if I'm using dry spices at the beginning), but often just stir fry in a dry wok.

I don't find it gets too wet, provided the wok is hot enough.

As well as plain cauli rice, I sometimes add kedgeree, pilau or paella spices. When doing "Pretendy Paella", I start with the chorizo, which renders plenty of fabulous oil to falvour and colour the "rice".

That's the one for me! Cauli kedgeree. The paella idea sounds good too. Kedgeree for me today.

I did stick to my plan yesterday, but stayed up late and ended up very hungry in the early hours. Foolishly I ate the only thing available at that time - one oatcake. As I've already noted somewhere, oats is absolutely a no no for me. It's worse than wheat, potato or rice. BS this morning (9 hours later) is 13.5!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I missed posting yesterday’s food as I spent the evening with my hubby in A/E after he got knocked off his bike, neck brace, spinal board and an ambulance ride to hospital! He had xrays and nothing was broken thankfully, just bruises, grazes and a stiff shoulder. His helmet tells a story about how different it might have been :wideyed:
Anyway I did eat dinner eventually around midnight!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over stir fry followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cheese and mushroom omelette (reheated, as I got the phone call about hubby just as I sat down to eat it!) with leafy salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the one for me! Cauli kedgeree. The paella idea sounds good too. Kedgeree for me today.

I did stick to my plan yesterday, but stayed up late and ended up very hungry in the early hours. Foolishly I ate the only thing available at that time - one oatcake. As I've already noted somewhere, oats is absolutely a no no for me. It's worse than wheat, potato or rice. BS this morning (9 hours later) is 13.5!

with the kedgeree and paella, you just have to think a bit about timings, in that it'll take longer to cook or warm through some ingredients than it does to stir fry the rice in a hot, hot wok.

It can be a bit trial and error to begin with, but the flavours make up for it.

You could do all sorts, from Creole, to sometimes I do a little turmeric and garlic, or a dollop of jerk seasoning, ir a few chillies, with lime. Of course, it depends on your preferred flavour palate.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I missed posting yesterday’s food as I spent the evening with my hubby in A/E after he got knocked off his bike, neck brace, spinal board and an ambulance ride to hospital! He had xrays and nothing was broken thankfully, just bruises, grazes and a stiff shoulder. His helmet tells a story about how different it might have been :wideyed:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Dinner: cheese and mushroom omelette (reheated, as I got the phone call about hubby just as I sat down to eat it!) with leafy salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Sorry to hear about Mr Rachox and the obvious worry you must have suffered. Thanks goodness for cycle helmets. Hope your husband is not too sore today and makes a rapid recovery.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear about Mr Rachox and the obvious worry you must have suffered. Thanks goodness for cycle helmets. Hope your husband is not too sore today and makes a rapid recovery.
Thank you! He’s moving about slowly but is more worried about the state of his bike than himself this morning so he can’t be too bad! ;)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
with the kedgeree and paella, you just have to think a bit about timings, in that it'll take longer to cook or warm through some ingredients than it does to stir fry the rice in a hot, hot wok.

It can be a bit trial and error to begin with, but the flavours make up for it.

You could do all sorts, from Creole, to sometimes I do a little turmeric and garlic, or a dollop of jerk seasoning, ir a few chillies, with lime. Of course, it depends on your preferred flavour palate.

Thanks for the advice. Some of those ideas sound yummy! My only problem might be the electric plates I cook on. They don't seem to get pans screaming hot. But I'll try.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear @Rachox
could have been v nasty indeed

Today:
V early start to drop 2mutts off at the salon ;) and keep Jasmine with me for a maccies carni brekkie that we shared after a lovely sniffy woodland walk. Excellent behaviour! Off lead all the way, v attentive and responsive, and no wandering off at all.

Then when we rejoined the pack, she got so over-excitedly ecstatic at the reunion, she widdled AND sicked up her breakfast.
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Home now and all 3 chilling from that little mess!

I won’t need lunch, and tonight will have Instant Pot new season lamb shoulder. Really looking forward to it.

The offal soup last night did me a world of good. Really hit some nutritional spot that I hadn’t realised was ‘in need’.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

So sorry to hear about your hubby's accident. It can be very worrying when that happens - my late husband was knocked off his bike some years ago by a taxi driver who "didn't see" him (he was wearing a high viz cycling cape at the time - not sufficiently conspicuous). Again, luckily, no serious injury - just to my sense of self righteousness. Hope your hubby is feeling much better now, as well as his bike.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry to hear about your hubby's accident. It can be very worrying when that happens - my late husband was knocked off his bike some years ago by a taxi driver who "didn't see" him (he was wearing a high viz cycling cape at the time - not sufficiently conspicuous). Again, luckily, no serious injury - just to my sense of self righteousness. Hope your hubby is feeling much better now, as well as his bike.
Thank you for your kind words. The driver that knocked him off initially drove off but later came back and confessed! Their conscience must have got the better of them. Police are going to do them for careless driving.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox sorry to hear about your husband’s accident. Thank goodness his helmet did the job and there were no broken bones. Hope his cuts and bruises heal quickly and remind him the bike can be replaced!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no dinners to cook this weekend as Inhave a day of note on Monday and after last year’s generosity I have banned them all from buying anything this year. However the deal is we have Indian takeaway tonight (not great for me but will go with the plan), dinner at the pub Sat night and bbq on Sunday when I have been warned not to lift a finger. However I know I will end up soaking and washing the skewers, utensils, etc.
Just had lunch which was egg mayo with Little Gem leaves. Cup coffee.
Breakfast was my usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I get joint pain whenever anything autoimmune kicks off - psoriasis, hayfever, gut stuff.
And for me, it is usually a dietary trigger.
So while it looks, feels and drips like hayfever, it is triggered by me overloading my immune system with food intolerances.
Without the food triggers, I would be able to tolerate the pollen/dust/environmental trigger.

So what have you changed, lately, that could have set it off?

Today’s food:
B:none
L: a v non carnivorous salad of guacamole, feta stuffed baby peppers and diced lemon feta. Loved every mouthful. Now i just have to wait and see what my guts make of it! :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:
D: 2 bowls of offal soup, with dollop of cream cheese. First bowl so delish I just got up and had another (lambs liver and kidneys).

Dogs loved theirs’ too.

Hmmmm - my psoriasis has been a LOT worse and I got sunburned and peeled which is unusual (the peeling that is). If anything my diet is less carbiferous than it was (still having issues with DP). Apart from that, no, can't think of anything.

Viv19

What an awful evening for you. Lucky that he didn’t do himself any serious damage, but I expect he’ll know about it for a few days.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have no dinners to cook this weekend as Inhave a day of note on Monday and after last year’s generosity I have banned them all from buying anything this year. However the deal is we have Indian takeaway tonight (not great for me but will go with the plan), dinner at the pub Sat night and bbq on Sunday when I have been warned not to lift a finger. However I know I will end up soaking and washing the skewers, utensils, etc.
Just had lunch which was egg mayo with Little Gem leaves. Cup coffee.
Breakfast was my usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.

Great idea to have egg mayo with little gem leaves - I will DEFINITELY steal that idea - I love egg mayo!!!

Good luck with the Indian takeaway. I'll be very interested in what you have and how your BGs react to it. Pre-D I used to love an occasional Indian takeaway but haven't had any since low carbing (at least I don't think I have).

Today.....

Breakfast: Toby Carvery breakfast buffet (far too much, but I do love their sausages)

Lunch: a taste of many different cheeses at a quiet Waitrose deli counter (my excuse is that a very nice counter 'colleague' / assistant virtually forced them on me) - ended up buying half a dozen different wedges so it will be a cheesey week

Dinner: Rotisserie pork with salads

Drinks: Black decaff coffee x 3, Diet Pepsi (yuck), Pepsi Max (double yuck), lots and lots of water (the Pepsi made me thirsty), a cup of decaff Yorkshire Tea with skimmed milk (in Costa) and another decaff cuppa in Waitrose and, later on, a glass or three of red wine

It could only happen to me... we stopped at a reasonably local Morrison's to get a few bits we'd forgotten at Waitrose only to find they've changed the store around so we were struggling to find anything. (Weirdly they had put 'home and lifestyle' section right through the middle of the store but had hidden the eggs and other basics.) So we finally found a man filling shelves and I politely asked where they'd hidden the eggs and on seeing he was wearing a tie I explained my problem with the stupid new layout. What the District Manager was doing fiddling with the bloomin' shelves, I really don't know but after a good 20 minutes conversation with him (AND the Store Manager joined us) they both thanked us and said it had been 'enlightening'. Not entirely sure what he meant by that. Mr C reckons it was a polite way of saying that I was being a PITA. :shifty::meh:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I make a very nice Chicken and asparagus risotto with cauli rice... it involves reducing the chicken stock right down before cooking but it is worth it. The other thing we like is a chicken, chorizo and red pepper bake thing (loosely based on Delia Smith's chicken Basque.

If you have the time you can get rid of a lot of the moisture by defrosting the frozen raw cauli rice in a sieve over a bowl before cooking.