LIBRE WOES

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hi All, I’ve been self funding since last September not a cheap task, was turned down as I had good control so I done this off my back as I believe I could get better control and I have.

My point is I was told not to buy sensors online which I have and not had any problems whatsoever but now that I’m allowed to actually buy from ABBOTT I’ve had two sensors fault on me and one I purchased from my chemist as a backup, they’ve been extremely good and replaced them very quickly.

But my sensor that I’ve had on for two days has packed up completely I’ve none spare so I am now back to blood testing ouch!! I hate it.

Got straight on the phone to ABBOTT but there not open at weekends which does disappoint me.

Has anyone had this happen to themselves, I’m finding out next month if I get the LIBRE or CGM funding I’m now doubting the LIBRE slightly any advice would really be welcome.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm self-funding the Libre CGM. OCDEM has said for my area, if I'm checking more than 8 times a day for 3 months then I qualify. I'll believe it when I see it. I caught one sensor on the back of the car passenger seat - don't ask me how. Luckily, it only had 6 hours left on it. I bought an armband afterwards.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @masonbason63

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your sensor. Unfortunately, Abbott are closed over the weekends/Bank Holidays but you can contact them on Monday and, once you've explained, I feel pretty sure they'll send you another out. They will want the faulty sensor to be sent back to them and will supply the bags and freepost etc.

Unfortunately, the sensors do fail from time to time. Some users report one failing after another but that's really unlucky. It's best to keep a couple in stock as backup, if you can, so you can put another on as/when this happens.

You should be able to buy the sensors at various pharmacies, Asda being a favourite one. Superdrug sell them but their prices are actually more than from Abbott. Boots might sell them but, again, they could be rather over-priced.

I find the sensors to be fairly accurate on the whole but they tend to be a bit too low when below about 5 and too high when above about 8 or 9 etc but this is 'typical' to the Libre and, if in those ranges, best to check levels via finger prick.

Don't dispair, eh? They're great tools but not the 'be all and end all' etc ;) I wouldn't be without ... ;)

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Thanks for comments, all what your saying is so right I’ve just got to wait till Monday I could use the big delivery firm that has the name of a jungle “others are available of course “ and use next day delivery

I think it’s I’ve had 3 sensors within a short space of time, makes you lose faith a bit in what I really think is a brilliant product.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am in the US so it could be different.
I used to buy 3 at a time, when I had 2 back up. I had started to get them mail order from pharmacies, Libre still replaced them if faulty. But shop around, there was a huge difference in prices from different pharmacies. I'm sure you have discount pharmacies too? But there would be the faulty one, off and on. I think it is more of a fluke when it happens more than one in a row, I know on another board some would say they were doing fine and then all of a sudden they had a streak of several not behaving. The theory was maybe the batches at a certain time period weren't as good?

I am on Dexcom now and it is better, but is more expensive except my insurance covers it.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi All, I’ve been self funding since last September not a cheap task, was turned down as I had good control so I done this off my back as I believe I could get better control and I have.

My point is I was told not to buy sensors online which I have and not had any problems whatsoever but now that I’m allowed to actually buy from ABBOTT I’ve had two sensors fault on me and one I purchased from my chemist as a backup, they’ve been extremely good and replaced them very quickly.

But my sensor that I’ve had on for two days has packed up completely I’ve none spare so I am now back to blood testing ouch!! I hate it.

Got straight on the phone to ABBOTT but there not open at weekends which does disappoint me.

Has anyone had this happen to themselves, I’m finding out next month if I get the LIBRE or CGM funding I’m now doubting the LIBRE slightly any advice would really be welcome.

We’re now at 5pm on Friday and still no sensors from ABBOTT and no delivery from UPS ☹️

I’d phoned 1st thing Monday told them the error codes they said they’d send out a new sensor.

Wednesday morning from UPS an email saying it would be delivered that day so I stayed in, tracking it all day saying it would be delivered by end of the day. Nothing came at all phoned UPS and spoke to a really unhelpful chap who just said cant help you phone ABBOTT.

ABBOTT on the other hand were helpful it’s down to a technical issue. No ones saying who it’s with but I’m still without my sensors and feel let down by bigger boys/girls letting the little guys /girls
down yet again.

It’s bad enough having difficulty’s in life but I feel totally flummoxed

Dexcom G6 is starting to look more promising can’t wait till 11th to decide which one

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
G6 is having supply issues too, these guys have been hugely popular and have moved some of their customer service overseas and people have been getting frustrated by them too.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
G6 is having supply issues too, these guys have been hugely popular and have moved some of their customer service overseas and people have been getting frustrated by them too.

Oh dear sounds like a bad idea either way I go, I’ve
Always believed if you can’t give a product a backup service to it don’t release it till your capable of giving it 90% as your messing with people’s expectations and possibly health. I get better supplies and deliveries online I’m afraid to say

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
They both have issues! But the Dexcom is better in accuracy and has alarms, I've had both, but it also is more expensive.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you do decide to continue down the Libre road, you can improve it's function no end by using a transmitter like a MiaoMiao and software like Spike for iOS or Xdrip for Android to provide a more CGM type function - but of course, it does depend on a working sensor, whatever you do. Really random bad luck to have several bad sensors in a row.