Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I heard Trump land is pretty good for allergy sufferers, :hilarious:

Noooooooooooooo - not there!! Send me to Antarctica or somewhere, but not there!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Gotta go - being called to the kitchen ......

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, that was an unexpectedly horrible end to what had been a difficult week, and I capped it with a low enough hypo less than five minutes from home (after the bad-tempered 7 miles non-stop stomp trying to regain equilibrium) to warrant stopping to treat it. Usually, a few Dextro can get me home with no problem.

Other than that, diabetes has been really well-behaved this week.

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apart from a 9 .4 this morning which needed correcting, an ok week for me. No highs or lows..nice and level for a change. Might treat myself to a glass of wine

Reactions: Antje77

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I've had a stable second week on insulin. I'm starting to not find it such a big deal now I"m back exercising. I still have to watch exercise over the four hour period after taking Fiasp. I had to eat half a dexter sugar tablet and some chocolate to stay above 3.9 while out on a dog walk in the early evening heat. What I'm most excited about it that after the four hours, with just long-acting Levemir in my system, I can do what I please.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lovely. Libre says LO, fingerprick says 3.7 (not too nice but not nearly LO), I'm off tomorrow morning for a 2 day party where we'll be sleeping in bunk beds with 12 people in a room, in the woods, without electricity, with 3 dogs and lots of funny food and alcohol and all the anxiety that comes with all that.
And as soon as I've recovered from that, some 3 days later (I don't do too well on social gatherings, despite liking them), I get to explain those Libre graphs to my internist.
And I already had really weird dreams the last 2 nights...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Lovely. Libre says LO, fingerprick says 3.7 (not too nice but not nearly LO), I'm off tomorrow morning for a 2 day party where we'll be sleeping in bunk beds with 12 people in a room, in the woods, without electricity, with 3 dogs and lots of funny food and alcohol and all the anxiety that comes with all that.
And as soon as I've recovered from that, some 3 days later (I don't do too well on social gatherings, despite liking them), I get to explain those Libre graphs to my internist.
And I already had really weird dreams the last 2 nights...

Take deep breaths, then count to ten. I hope your weekend will be relaxed, fun and once you get there you can chill out. But if you feel bad with anxiety, can you leave and drive back home ?
I am off out this afternoon to a steam fair and looking forward to it, hope the weather stays nice as it's a bit humid here.
Fingers crossed for you :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Happy Saturday folks and good morning. Going to a steam fair this afternoon in Buckinghamshire, so hope the weather holds up.
BG was :meh: this morning, that's down to a very low yesterday afternoon and I had to treat it in the school run taxi, lad was watching me, but I had to say 'mine' and used makaton to sign ( trying to learn useful makaton words) as no eating or drinking is allowed in the vehicle, but I had to.
Have a great weekend :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Morning all. Today I need to cook, or go hungry. I had a boughten seitan steak the other night and didn't like it, so I must make a few today.

Other than that - got to go and get some veggies/fruit/salad to tide us over, and I have a couple of books just downloaded onto my kindle. A scorching hot summer's day when I am forced to stay indoors by (a) hayfever and (b) being a vampire, gives me plenty of reading time. Yay!

Reactions: MeiChanski
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all. Today I need to cook, or go hungry. I had a boughten seitan steak the other night and didn't like it, so I must make a few today.

Other than that - got to go and get some veggies/fruit/salad to tide us over, and I have a couple of books just downloaded onto my kindle. A scorching hot summer's day when I am forced to stay indoors by (a) hayfever and (b) being a vampire, gives me plenty of reading time. Yay!

I love to read too, I am reading The Bloodhounds at the moment, set in the UK :) love. love books :joyful::happy:

Hope you have decent day :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, home from hols but the friend I went with is here to stay for a few days as we've other things to do. Off to see one of her friend's garden today as they open for the NGS. Weather looks about perfect - enjoy your weekends all, whatever you're doing, and sorry for those of you confined to indoors due to the dreaded hay fever. Not funny.

Reactions: karen8967

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Morning, folks, had a pleasant surprise a few days ago.

For the last few years, I'd been getting those, "you have mild background diabetic retinopathy, no treatment required" letters after my yearly eye check.

I've never been that worried about them, as it's just an early advance warning system, and I reckoned after 31 yrs in the game, I've got to expect that sort of thing. But it was still always a reminder of how savage T1 can be.

Anyway, went for my check recently, and, surprise, surprise, when the letter popped through the door on Thursday it said, "you have no diabetic changes to your eyes."

Sure, I know the way the scans are checked depends on the operator and another guy might have marked it as BDR, but, hey, ho, this one didn't, so I was really chuffed about it - 31 yrs in and "no diabetic changes to your eyes."!!!

Shortly after being dx'd, I read an article in DUK's Balance by a woman in her 20s who'd played fast and loose with her bg and was being told that she'd be blind within a few years. She turned it around. That article scared the bejeeshahs out of me and I still think about it when I need motivation.

For any newly dx'd reading, sure, this can be a savage, seriously damaging condition if you don't take care of it. If you do pay a bit of attention, though, you can look forward to decades of a healthy life with no problems (erm, apart from the occasional mad bad hypo). Have a healthy respect for complications but don't over-sweat them.

Cheers, all!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What I'm most excited about it that after the four hours, with just long-acting Levemir in my system, I can do what I please.

Hi, ert, it's good that you're noticing the time frame of insulin - understanding how insulin operates over time is the key to being able to do more "creative" things with it.

For example, many will just look at the carb count, dose for it, and then wonder why they're hypoing when they go for a long walk. Whereas, with more practice, most of us think about the carb count, then think about what we're going to be doing in the next six hours, and maybe notch it back a few units if we're reckoning on walking around a lot, because the exercise lets glucose into cells via GLUT4, so that and insulin would cause a double whammy.

Or we can also deliberately keep it the same if we're planning on stopping off for an ice-cream or apple pie along the way.

It also helps with insulin-stacking - taking a series of doses on top of each other within a four hour time frame. Useful for slowly absorbed foods or lengthy multi-course meals, and figuring out whether a correction dose is needed or not. Getting a meter or cgm app like xDrip+ which calculates active insulin on board on the fly in real time is incredibly useful, I'd put it on a par with pre-bolusing as one of the most useful T1 management techniques.

Reactions: porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It’s a Frio summer! Spent yesterday chasing the shade around the garden, except for the hour spent replanting stuff himindoors had ripped up when he dug out some overenthusiastic lemon balm. He didn’t mean to cause destruction, he just doesn’t recognise stuff. The replanting, which included scraping the new top covering from various weeds, sent me low. In this weather, here in the SE, it’s the brain fog that’s the best symptom! Then woke at 3.00 am with a lovely 16: ***! All ok now.
Your weekend sounds great @Antje77. Good luck with the interesting food, hope you enjoy it.
Good letter to get @Scott-C.
Welcome @Shellback.
Nose tampons? Do noses go through the menopause?

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all from sunny Algeria. Hope everyone has a good weekend... mine has started off not great ... libre read 5.9 when i got up. Great i thought to myself. Checked with fingerprick. Actually 8.2. Not so great after all ! Any way, not a disaster, and finally plucked up the courage to post here after lurking for months !